February is for Lovers
Well, here are some idea starters to get your February rockin'! Later in the month, we'll celebrate Black History Month... but for now, concentrate on your significant one!
Introducing the DTG Discussion Forums
Now you can be involved with DTG and other readers like never before -- with the DTG Discussion Forums...
* Introduce yourself in the Design Caf� Introductions
* Get your web site reviewed or critiqued in the Website Review Forum
* Introduce your friends and readers to Cool Stuff you've found
* Get help, share tips, or just chat about design and publishing!
* The Photoshop 911 Forum is your best friend for your Photoshop emergencies!
Type: Hearts (Font) for your Valentine
Outline them, shade them, texturize them, or just use them to decorate your lover... just in time for Valentine's Day, check out this groovy retro-style font containing 70 heart illustrations. from... Kapitza image-based typefaces
Photoshop question of the year: Removing Backgrounds
This is the most frequently asked question in the Photoshop 911 emergency room: "How can I remove the white background around my logo?" We've talked about clipping paths and layer masks many, many times... just this once we wish everyone would listen and learn how to Remove the White Background from Graphics
Photoshop: Text Mask to Embossed Watermark for Photos
A reader in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Forum wanted help making a watermark. This tutorial shows you how; plus shows you how to make a custom shape, and put it to work as a powerful custom shape tool to watermark all your photos
Photoshop: Place a picture into text
A reader in the Photoshop 911 forum asks "how can i turn a picture of a dog into text" ... and since we all love dogs, we decided to demonstrate the easy way to use all versions of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements to Put an image into type
Photoshop: Painting into a Layer Mask to Reveal Image
Photoshop 911 reader L.W. restoring color to a black and white image. This basic tutorial shows you how in all image editors that use layers and layer masks for Painting into a Layer Mask to Reveal Image.
Printing: Supplying artwork to printers
Following his last entry, "Preparing your artwork", Rob Cubbon, graphic designer and printing expert in the UK now turns his sights to the next step in making sure your print job goes as planned -- supplying artwork to printers
Printing: Going on Press, 24/7
Design Mentor Sessions interview with Laura Schwamb, by Thom McKenna talking about the critical stage of any print design job where a designer works with a printer before going to press -- The Press Check
Editor's Choice Books for February...
This month in Photoshop: Photoshop Elements 5 For Dummies * Preventive Photoshop * Color Management in Digital Photography * Digital Restoration From Start to Finish... For Digital Camera Users: Color Correction For Digital Photographers Only * Advanced Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Digital Photographers * Nikon Creative Lighting System Digital Field Guide * Digital Scrapbooking For Dummies... For Web Designers: * Dreamweaver 8 Accelerated * Web Sites All-in-One Desk Reference... and in the Graphics Department, the AutoCAD: Secrets and 3ds Max 9 Bible
This month's &Else includes: lots of new clip art for Valentine's in the Publishers Warehouse. (Readers know where to find the link!)
PLUS: FBBEdit: it doesn't suck * QuarkXPress Gold * Stimulus is Back * Site Monitoring for web developers * Web-based creative collaboration * Dynamic HTML * Automatic PDF * Automatic Repair of Font Problems * Screen Sharing for Mac * 2D/3D design * Anti-Spyware for Mac... and more&Else!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
- BEST: Natural Media Plug-ins for Photoshop & Photoshop Elements
- BEST: Favorites from 2006 Designers talk about products
- DTP: Gradient Paragraph Rules with InDesign expert, David Bergsland
- DTP: 14 most common eBook design mistakes with DTP expert, Roger C. Parker
- Business: 9 Tips On Getting Paid For Your Work with graphics veteran Dan Antonelli
- Business: How To Write Marketing Copy That Sells Your Freelance Design Services
- Photoshop: Photoshop Upgrade Madness... all the links that are fit to print
- Photoshop: Photo Collage for the Holidays
- Photoshop: watermarking your files in Elements
- Type: Gallo Fleuron Ornaments
- Photoshop: Photoshop Holiday Madness
- Review: Flash Slideshows with Pixtivity
- Type: Favorite Holiday Fonts
- Business: 15 things to get done before the end of the year!
- Business: PART 2: How to boost your freelancing job opportunities
- Business: Preparing Artwork for Printing
- Special Event: Photoshop in the Andy Warhol style
- Photoshop: Old-time Engraving Effect plugin
- Fonts & Type: Superb Dingbats Ornaments Sets
- David Bergsland: Making Art with Dingbats
- Deke McClelland: Fix Color Cast in Photoshop
- Business: PART 1: How to frugally market your business
- Graphics Software: Illustrator surrogate: CeledyDraw 2
- Interview: Going the Extra Mile in Design: Lara Modjeski
- Graphics: 5 Texture Tips: the key ingredients to great textures
- DTP / Fonts: Designers talk about Type & Fonts in the Fonts Festival
- DTP: Run-in Headlines with David Bergsland
- DTP / Fonts: The Practical Philosophy Of Typography Thinking In Type
- Fonts: New Blackletters fonts from P22
- Design: Designing For Print On A Budget with Thomas McKenna, Sessions.edu
- Photoshop: Alien fixes this photo faux pas enlarge digital photographs
- Web Critique: Art works by Mark Vatnsdal
- Books: New Photoshop books
- Books: Adobe InDesign CS2 One-on-one Deke McClelland
- Design: Serious Design Books
- Type: Metroscript font from Michael Doret!
- Design Designing Effective Communications questions about typography
- Font: PowerStation from Alphabet Soup
- DTP / Fonts: 12th Annual Fonts Festival
- Design Greats: Left Handed Designer... Seymour Chwast
- Field Trip: Take a Type Tour with Fred...
- DTP / Fonts: Chris Costello is inspired by Antiquity
- DTP / Fonts: Dingbats and Pic Fonts: People in everyday life
- DTP / Fonts: The Year of the Ornament Font with Gerald Gallo
- MORE: on the next page...
Got Photoshop Questions? Who do you call?
Visit Photoshop 911's blog -- now you can comment on posts, and even lend a helping hand where needed... who do you call?
Photoshop 911 Call ReportsHere comes this month's batch of reports from the Photoshop 911 call line. The most interesting is how one user solves the problem of removing the background from multiple shots of a rotating product for a 3D video... there are seven others, and you'll want to read them all:
In the Photoshop 911 forums
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."