April: Designing Women & COLOR
April continues our "Designing Women" series, and the topic is "COLOR" -- Designing Women Ronnie Lipton, Leatrice Eiseman, and Adriana Iordan -- all leading experts in the design field -- bring references, articles, tutorials and lots to learn about graphic design and color!
Selecting a Color Palette
It's not hard to persuade a designer that color matters. But persuading Fortune 500 companies? You might be surprised. Color consultant and Designing Woman Leatrice Eiseman has carved out a major career in helping companies "make correct choices in colors that sell." ... Expert Advice from a Color Consultant
Do colors influence web site visitors?
Designing Woman Adriana Iordan from Avangate B.V. joins us to share professional insight into choosing colors for your web site -- including the meanings of color, societal impact, rules to follow and how color influences web site visitors!
Editor's Choice: The Practical Guide to Information Design
This is the definitive, behind-the-scenes guide to mastering information design -- helping graphic designers make the transition into information design for the knowledge age. Another milestone book from Designing Woman Ronnie Lipton... The Practical Guide to Information Design
Designing Women: Veerle Pieters
Veerle Pieters, a graphic designer and web designer living in Belgium, caught our attention with her fresh Illustrator design portfolio, and her lively blog featuring many great articles and tutorials... Veerle Pieters
Photoshop: Carved in Wood
A reader wrote in with a client who wants his web site menu buttons to be on a tree -- looking hand-carved. So, this tutorial gives you nice sign boards with the type routed in to nail to the tree. Carved in Wood
Photoshop: Changing Colors
We get quite a few requests for this kind of technique for people colorizing houses, cars, people's clothing, and from time to time a boat or two. In this tutorial, we must change the color of a boat, then apply lettering to the side to show the client the finished lettering job.
Photoshop: Clipping Path makes a Hole in the Doughnut
More frequently asked questions: "...if I were creating a clipping path of a donut, how would I put a path around the outside and the inside of a donut?" In this tutorial, we using image clipping paths to create a hole where the background shows through!
Photoshop: Saving an old, faded photo
Photoshop 911 question: "... I've read plenty of tutorials on how to repair dents and scratches with the clone/stamp tool, but haven't found anything to help with the color problems" In this tutorial, we bring this old photo back to life with a lot of adjustment layers
April Onslaught of Adobe CS3 Products
In case you didn't see the live web-cast demonstrations of the new Adobe product line -- here are all the detailed releases: Adobe Delivers Two Editions of Photoshop CS3 along with a powerful InDesign CS3 Release and an entire new Creative Suite 3 Product Line, including Creative Suite 3 Design Premium products, Creative Suite 3 Web Premium, Creative Suite 3 Production Premium. They're posted with an overview in the Adobe Directory.
Business: Becoming a Publicity Designer
Shaun Crowley has brought a whole series best-practice tutorials for all freelance artists. This month Shaun focuses on freelance designers who specialize in marketing materials. They are in high demand, and can just about write their own ticket if they know How To Be A Publicity Designer
Are you smarter than a 5th Grader ...
Well, you wouldn't know it if you read some of this month's comments from readers! Favorite reviewer, Bennie Taylor, is back to tackle the tough reviews -- but this month we hit some snags: some of the web owners aren't too happy with their Web Site Critiques
Getting Popular: DTG Discussion Forums
DTG readers are discovering the pleasures of schmoozing with other designers in the DTG Discussion Forums...
* Introduce yourself in the Design Caf� Introductions
* Get your web site reviewed or critiqued in the Website Review Forum
* Introduce your friends and readers to Cool Stuff you've found
* Get help, share tips, or just chat about design and publishing!
Editor's Choice Books for March...
This month in Photoshop: Photoshop Elements 5 For Dummies * Preventive Photoshop * Color Management in Digital Photography * Digital Restoration From Start to Finish... For Digital Camera Users: Color Correction For Digital Photographers Only * Advanced Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Digital Photographers * Nikon Creative Lighting System Digital Field Guide * Digital Scrapbooking For Dummies... For Web Designers: * Dreamweaver 8 Accelerated * Web Sites All-in-One Desk Reference... and in the Graphics Department, the AutoCAD: Secrets and 3ds Max 9 Bible
This month's &Else includes: lots of new archive clip art in the Publishers Warehouse. (Readers know where to find the link!)
PLUS: I-SPY Prevention Act of 2007 * Print with any printer in the world * Travel and PHOTOGRAPHY Off the Charts * PitStop with Adobe Acrobat 8 support * New Life for Old Photos and a half dozen more! &Else!
The Photoshop Pros come out
Photoshop Pro Andrei Doubeovski of SimplePhotoshop.com fame has fired-up the tips & tricks guns in the Photoshop 911 help department, sharing real-world solutions for reader problems. If you use Photoshop, then you'll want to check out how we're providing answers for all kinds of Photoshop emergencies!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
- Designing Women: Revisited
- Designing Women: Amy Dresser
- Designing Women: Meet Marian Bantjes
- Photoshop: Remove Background, Save Shadows Load a little luminosity!
- Photoshop: Montage Making Masks Layer Mask -- merging photos
- Web Design: Put the HEX on a GIF Setting HEX for GIF format graphics
- Interview: Dave Taylor... Gameful Art video game producer
- Web Site Critiques: You Know Your Web Site Sucks if ...
- Design Books: Bruchures in a Box
- Review: All-in-one Digital Camera You'll like these...
- Photoshop: Best ways to watermark all your photos
- Photoshop: Put an image into type
- Photoshop: Painting into a Layer Mask to Reveal Image.
- Type: Picture Font with Heart
- Photoshop: Remove the White Background from Graphics
- Web Design: Web Site Critiques
- Printing: supplying artwork to printers
- Printing: The Press Check with Laura Schwamb
- BEST: Natural Media Plug-ins for Photoshop & Photoshop Elements
- BEST: Favorites from 2006 Designers talk about products
- DTP: Gradient Paragraph Rules with InDesign expert, David Bergsland
- DTP: 14 most common eBook design mistakes with DTP expert, Roger C. Parker
- Business: 9 Tips On Getting Paid For Your Work with graphics veteran Dan Antonelli
- Business: How To Write Marketing Copy That Sells Your Freelance Design Services
- Photoshop: Photoshop Upgrade Madness... all the links that are fit to print
- Photoshop: Photo Collage for the Holidays
- Photoshop: watermarking your files in Elements
- Type: Gallo Fleuron Ornaments
- Photoshop: Photoshop Holiday Madness
- Review: Flash Slideshows with Pixtivity
- Type: Favorite Holiday Fonts
- Business: 15 things to get done before the end of the year!
- Business: PART 2: How to boost your freelancing job opportunities
- Business: Preparing Artwork for Printing
- Special Event: Photoshop in the Andy Warhol style
- Photoshop: Old-time Engraving Effect plugin
- Fonts & Type: Superb Dingbats Ornaments Sets
- MORE: on the next page...
Got Photoshop Questions? Who do you call?
Visit Photoshop 911's blog -- now you can comment on posts, and even lend a helping hand where needed... who do you call?
Photoshop 911 Call ReportsHere comes this month's batch of reports from the Photoshop 911 call line. The most interesting is how one user solves the problem of removing the background from multiple shots of a rotating product for a 3D video... there are seven others, and you'll want to read them all:
In the Photoshop 911 forums
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."