October continues FALL FONTS FESTIVAL
and moves us into the holiday season for sure! Follow along as new entries are posted each week along the way to the end of the year...
Alex White: Design's Function & Typography
The leading expert on graphic design and typography, Alex White, shares words of wisdom on the function of design and how typography can be the most difficult component of the designer's tool box... A challenge for designers
We continue with an example from Alex White's latest book Advertising Design & Typography that demonstrates how the level of craftsmanship is magnified in display type. A superb example from Herb Lubalin gives us an undeniable lesson in Typographic Craftsmanship
Headline Design Tips & Tricks Tutorial
If you've been following our series on typography, hopefully you've already digested Alex White's Design's Function & Typography article and it's continued pages. I launch off that article, with the help of visual & editorial communications expert Ronnie Lipton, to investigate some powerful exercises for Designing Headline & Display Type
Painter To Photoshop & Back Again
Many Photoshop users think the word "Corel" is a thing of the past. However, those truly in the know will say Painter does it all. We do get a lot of questions about using the two together -- so we turned to the award-winning fine artist, designer and educator Cher Threinen-Pendarvis with her excellent tips for Using Painter with Photoshop
Advertising Design and Typography
If you think advertising design has lost its impact and gone flat, you're right. What graphic designers need today is a good juice in the arm to start thinking again and get to the powers of visual dynamics. Well, thank goodness, the Alex White is here to give you that juice in Advertising Design and Typography
Brown without the Blues
Joyce Dalman, a Print Broker with her own company Joyce Dalman Printing Services knows what it takes to deliver reliable color to her clients in Southern California. And if you're delivering brown for a client like UPS, it can't be just any brown. She knows how to build Brown without the Blues
Humanist Sans Serif: What is it?
Typography expert David Bergsland introduces you to the beauty and utility of a good Humanist sans-serif type face -- along with examples and comparison chart. PLUS: a special offer to buy two for about the price of one... Humanist Sans: what it is and why you need at least one!
What's My Font?
Author and Macintosh technical expert George M Engel -- with some rants, pet peeves, and favorite type faces -- and why (along with picture samples) as a continuation of last month's article. You can even download a whimsical font recommended by George in ... What's My Font
The Canadian (Type) Connection
Digital type design firm Canada Type joins the festival this year with lots of new font packages for Mac and PC, including some very cool retro fonts and specialty titling fonts; all from the penmanship of Patrick Griffin and Rebecca Alaccari who call themselves Canada Type
2007 Type Fonts from P22
P22 is one of the most prolific and prestigious foundries in the world, and this year was a bumper... from calligraphic Matador to medieval Vale and King's Fount to the Art Deco Obelysk Grotesk, and the extensive revival of Edward Johnston's Underground ... Go P22
Review: Marshall McLuhan ... Everyman's McLuhan
"McLuhan was right." said the Reporter, June 1976 -- You thought "Global Village" referred to the internet? Right? You thought "The Medium is the Message" referred to MySpace, or Google? Right? Maybe, maybe not. But you won't know for sure until you discover (or re-discover) Marshall McLuhan! I'm including this book review not just because it's a visual treat -- but because everyone should experience the thoughts and words of Everyman's McLuhan
Readers in the Graphic Design fields help us paint a picture of the Design Life by filling out our brief Design Pro / Freelancer Survey survey. You can help by sharing too! Follow along as DTG Readers share more reflections on the Design Life
WINNERS: All of this month's contributors will win a free copy of Deke McClelland's latest training masterpiece Adobe Photoshop CS3 One-on-One!
Part ONE of the 13th Annual Fall Fonts Festival
- FEATURE: Creating Typography with Character
- 13th Annual Fonts Surf Fred surfs for type, fonts and typography
- Lessons in Typography & Style Learn some important lessons in Type and Lettering
- &Type: Type & Typography in motion
- Type & Typography according to George< My Typography Demo
- Outlining Type: What's Right or Wrong
- Fonts: Gallo Holy Ornaments, Oriental Symbols and Quilt Patterns
- Fonts Spotlight: Blue Vinyl font foundry
- Editor's Choice: The Fonts event of the year: Indie Fonts 3
This month's &Else includes: Adobe Photoshop CS3 One-on-One * Art Text * Buttons for Photoshop, Elements and Illustrator * CSS Tool * Custom shapes for Photoshop * Graphic Inspector * iWatermark * Kinko's and Adobe * Photoshop Lightroom Adventure * and a dozen others... ! &Else!
- Photoshop Madness: Type & Lettering Tutorial Hell
- Web Usability: Is usability a fact or fantasy?
- Adriana Iordan: Video Marketing Tips
- Business Marketing & Advertising: Branding vs. Direct Response
- &Photographic: free photos from the TurboPhoto collection
- Design Business: How much should I charge??
- Design Business: How do I find and get new clients?
- Design Business: Lead Services: Pros & Cons
- Design Business: Designers share insights into their jobs...
- MORE: on the next page...
MORE: continues on the next page... ~ or SEARCH The Design Center
Real Help for Photoshop Users
tips & tricks, real-world solutions for reader problems -- as well as resources, tutorials, techniques and effects come your way each and every day in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Join the discussion : in the Designers' CAFE discussion forums
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."