Lots to do this time of year... it's the perfect opportunity to promote yourself. Follow along as new entries are posted each week along the way to the end of the year.
Click on the button at the right to send in your BEST OF THE BEST suggestions and discoveries you discovered during 2007.
We'll be giving away prizes all through November and December so submit your entries today!
A bit of Holiday (marketing) History...
George passes along this little story for the Christmas season about a loyal team of nine enchanted reindeer and how they came to be named.. especially, the actual marketing plan behind a certain Rudolph and his hyper-illuminated red nose.
Gift idea: Creating a Photo-Painting
Who else could supply the ultimate tips for using Painter than the award-winning fine artist, designer and educator Cher Threinen-Pendarvis! In this three page excerpt from Cher's latest work, we follow the works of Master Photographer and Digital Painter Michael Campbell as he creates a masterpiece painting from a photograph...
Dreams do come true...
Michael Campbell is the skill and vision behind our "Photo to Painting" tutorial, and once you see his works, you'll be convinced that magic exists and dreams do come true. This is true inspiration for any digital artist who aspires to greatness. Follow along as we visit the studio of world class photographer and digital artist Michael Campbell
Congratulations to this month's winning designers who shared their
professional insights with DTG, and those who aspire to be a
This month: Linda says: "Today, Designers have to deal with many jobs" ... Mike says: "The tough challenge is when clients don't communicate", and Isaiah seems to have the perfect graphic design job using his skills to help children learn!
Read them all in this edition of Designers share insights into their jobs...
WINNERS: This month's contributors will win a free copy of Deke McClelland's latest training masterpiece Adobe Photoshop CS3 One-on-One, or any of our other cool prizes!
Designers Share "BEST" products & the Holidays
This month designers reflect on holiday design and cite Vectormagic Vector your Raster images online; Yousendit.com for sending huge files online and Camtasia by TechSmith video screen capture as among the favorites from 2007.
Book Review: Non-Designer's Design & Type Books ~ Deluxe Edition
Back in the Fall Fonts Festival you read George's insights into type and typography. Well now you get to discover one of George's most inspirational resources on type and design -- from one of our favorite authors of all times, Robin Williams! Non-Designer's Design & Type Books
You Are the News: Citizen Journalism
This is an important article -- and we hope to bring you more coverage on the topic. Citizen journalism allows writers and viewers alike to decide for themselves what is timely, relevant, and newsworthy. Five Reasons Why Citizen Journalism is a concept whose time has come
Then, Paul Sullivan, editor in chief of Orato.com, takes a moment to tell us a little bit about this multi-faceted Web site and the future of citizen journalism. Common Questions about Citizen Journalism
The 10 Commandments of Guerrilla Marketing Design
The Dean of Desktop Publishing, Roger C. Parker returns with some do's and don'ts about Guerrilla Marketing. However, we think these ten commandments are essential for any designer in any field! It's an attitude that emphasizes the efficient and memorable delivery of information... all part of his recent book Design to Sell The 10 Commandments of Guerrilla Marketing Design
Web Design Tutorial: How to build tabbed navigation in CSS
If you've ever fumbled over setting up good, accurate CSS coding for navigation buttons, then you'll really appreciate this article by Rachel Andrew, excerpted from The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks, a CSS book by Rachel from SitePoint.com... Creating tabbed navigation in CSS
Ultimate Patterns made easy...
You'll never have to search for -- or fumble over -- patterns again -- this updated Adobe Photoshop plug-in makes the coolest patterns and textures so easy you wonder why someone didn't invent this before now. SymmetryShop is the tool that automates the creation of all types of surface designs Ultimate Patterns made easy...
PhotoBooks make the ultimate gifts...
Here's a great gift idea for your entire list ... make a PhotoBook -- hardcover photo albums -- using the Unibind PhotoBook Creator thermal binding machine ... Make yourself a PhotoBook
The Holiday Designer's Bookshelf...
There's so much new, we cannot do it in a single page... every department has some very hot new titles... * Graphic Design * in Desktop Publishing including InDesign and QuarkXpress * in Adobe Photoshop & Photography * in Web Design and Multimedia * in Graphics and 3D Rendering * for Business, Mac users, General Computing and the iLife
and they're all in the Designer's Bookshelf
- Icograda World Design Congress
- Image Retouching: Pagoda Woodcut using Painter... Photo to Woodcut
- Promotional ideas: What's a little padding between friends?
- Product review: Padding Magic Padding Press
- Type & Fonts: New Vintage Type - Classic Fonts for the Digital Age
- Photoshop: Saving Photos: Dark, Under Exposed photos
- Photoshop: Degrading Color for Hand Tint Look using the Gradient Map
- Photoshop: Using Photoshop's "Match Color"
- Photoshop Collage Mosaic: One Photo to Many
- Photoshop: Photographically Correct Film Simulator Effects for Photoshop
- Business: Rise of the Designer / Copywriter
- Web Design: Taking it to the Top: A Short Survey of Top Level Domain Options
- Software Review: Klix saved my Photos from doom
- Business: Tips for Making Software Available for Download
- Alex White: A challenge for designers - type is imagery, imagery is space, and space is type
- Typographic Craftsmanship - Typographic craftsmanship as only Herb Lubalin could do
- Designing Headline & Display Type Tips and Tricks Tutorial
- Using Painter with Photoshop - Painter To Photoshop & Back Again
- Advertising Design and Typography the Holy Grail for graphic designers designing advertising
- Brown without the Blues - Joyce Dalman shows us how to build it
- Humanist Sans: what it is and why you need at least one!
- What's My Font George M Engel shares some rants, pet peeves, and favorite type faces
- Font Review: Canada Type some very cool retro fonts and specialty titling fonts
- Font Review: 2007 Type Fonts from P22 calligraphic Matador to medieval Vale and King's Fount to the Art Deco Obelysk Grotesk
- Book Review: Everyman's McLuhanyou won't know for sure until you re-discover Marshall McLuhan
- Graphic Design Life- graphic designers share their reflections on the Design Life
- MORE: on the next page...
MORE: continues on the next page... ~ or SEARCH The Design Center
Real Help for Photoshop Users
tips & tricks, real-world solutions for reader problems -- as well as resources, tutorials, techniques and effects come your way each and every day in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Join the discussion : in the Designers' CAFE discussion forums
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."