February 2008: BRIGHTER IDEAS FOR 2008
Fresh insights into software, hardware, and your graphic design business. Follow along as new entries are posted each week as we move towards the spring.
We'll be giving away prizes again throughout 2008, so bookmark this page for a topic where you can participate!
FEBRUARY: BRIGHTER IDEAS FOR 2008 share your design ideas and strategies for 2008 and let DTG readers hear from YOU! Submit your entries today!
Held over: BEST OF THE BEST FOR 2007 AWARDS
Each year we count down the best books of the year for graphic designers, illustrators, photographers, web designers, computer users and anyone in the digital world. These books we find to offer the best information for the best value to those in the genre.
We are proud to present the 2007 BEST AWARDS
Designers "BEST" & WORST products from 2007
Here are the final entries into the theme "BEST" -- and as an added bonus, we learn about some of the BEST web sites, and at least one WORST. favorites from 2007.
Creating Black & White from Color
another of those frequent questions from the Photoshop 911 emergency room gets answered by expert Barry Huggins, author of the Photoshop Retouching Cookbook for Digital Photographers. Through four different techniques, we learn a different set of skills is required when Creating Black & White from Color
Designing in Ceramic Tiles
At a time when creative services may be sliding with the economy, some niche markets continue to flourish. Follow along as Fred takes a look at the use of ceramics for business signage and architectural markings -- not only a lucrative side-line, but one of high-art and lasting durability... Designing in Ceramics
Viewsonic VX2235 LCD Display
Next, George Engel shares his experiences in purchasing a new 22" display -- and points out several good criteria when shopping for displays. If Santa brought you some cash, and you've been wanting a new or second computer monitor, then read George's review of the Viewsonic VX2235 LCD Display
A quick Tune up for your computer
Is your PC not running like it used to? Bogged down by too many startup items, slow to load, slow to restart? Maybe it's time for your annual end of the year PC tune up! Wesley Warren of Vexcom.com shares these tune-up tricks for your Annual PC Maintenance: A quick Tune up for your computer
First Professional Photo Editor for Linux Users
Linux users can now improve every photo regardless of camera type -- editing, enhancing and improving digital photos, just like Windows and Mac users have done for years. Lightzone includes the innovative ZoneMapper and Re-Light tools. LightZone is the first and only application to span three operating systems
Digital Cameras: Good, Bad, Ugly
I've been testing digital cameras for some time -- even destroyed a few! This year the quest was for a durable camera for video that would stand up to extreme sports, while giving good image qualaity. I tested a few really good ones, and a few real dogs. Hopefully I'll help you make a smart decision on purchasing your next Digital Camera
Review: Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder
User Group personality Maria O. Arguello shares her experiences with the new Flip Video -- next-generation video processing produces the highest quality mobile-compatible video while using minimal memory -- you'll like the Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder
Control Mac fonts
As the Mac OS gets more complicated, you're finding more problems with fonts. With You Control: Fonts 1.3 you get a system-wide WYSIWYG font menu that brings consistency to the system, and allows you to use your fonts more efficiently... Control Mac fonts
Digital Camers NOT to buy
George Engel warns about two faulty Kodak cameras, and stresses researching your purchases before you buy. George Engel sez: "Research now, so you won't get hooked later..." but don't just take his word for it, read this Digital Camera News
The Designer's Bookshelf for 2008
There's so much new, we cannot do it in a single page... every department has some very hot new titles... * Graphic Design * in Desktop Publishing including InDesign and QuarkXpress * in Adobe Photoshop & Photography * in Web Design and Multimedia * in Graphics and 3D Rendering * for Business, Mac users, General Computing and the iLife
and they're all in the Designer's Bookshelf
We invite you to visit all our partners and friends because they support your Design Center! Take advantage of all they have to offer, and tell them DTG sent you!
Support your Design Center and DTG Magazine by becoming a partner or a friend!
- Holiday (marketing) History Rudolph and his hyper-illuminated red nose.
- Painter: Creating a Photo-Painting
- Studio Visit: world class photographer and digital artist Michael Campbell
- Book Review: Non-Designer's Design & Type Books
- You Are the News: Common Questions about Citizen Journalism
- Business: The 10 Commandments of Guerrilla Marketing Design
- Web Design Tutorial: Creating tabbed navigation in CSS
- Photoshop / Illustrator: Ultimate Patterns made easy...
- Digital Photography: Make yourself a PhotoBook
- Icograda World Design Congress
- Image Retouching: Pagoda Woodcut using Painter... Photo to Woodcut
- Promotional ideas: What's a little padding between friends?
- Product review: Padding Magic Padding Press
- Type & Fonts: New Vintage Type - Classic Fonts for the Digital Age
- Photoshop: Saving Photos: Dark, Under Exposed photos
- Photoshop: Degrading Color for Hand Tint Look using the Gradient Map
- Photoshop: Using Photoshop's "Match Color"
- Photoshop Collage Mosaic: One Photo to Many
- Photoshop: Photographically Correct Film Simulator Effects for Photoshop
- Business: Rise of the Designer / Copywriter
- Web Design: Taking it to the Top: A Short Survey of Top Level Domain Options
- Software Review: Klix saved my Photos from doom
- MORE: on the next page...
MORE: continues on the next page... ~ or SEARCH The Design Center
Real Help for Photoshop Users
tips & tricks, real-world solutions for reader problems -- as well as resources, tutorials, techniques and effects come your way each and every day in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Join the discussion : in the Designers' CAFE discussion forums
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."