March 2008: Designing Women
Again we top the record for content and special events! In celebration of Women In History Month, once again we bring you some of the most influential names in the creative industry -- Those Designing Women!
Everyone is invited to visit and enjoy
National Woman's History Project which serves to recognize the achievements of women in all facets of life and present new opportunities for girls and young women.
National Museum of Women in the Arts -- peruse the museum's permanent collection, take a video tour of the museum, or read artisits' profiles.
Participate in the DTG Gallery for Designing Women. Submit your entries today!
Designing Women 2008
... come along and visit professional women web designers & developers, who have taken their time to contribute to the Design Center -- featuring Judy Ariel Thomas, Kasey Robinson and Deborah Pang Davis in Designing Women, 2008
Feature: Sareh Khajehnouri
Sareh Khajehnouri is an artist currently based in Washington DC. Her extraordinary visions echo her native background in Tehran, Iran. Her advertising design sparkles, but her photo-illustration reveals a subtle yet striking depth in visual exploration. Don't miss the works of Sareh Khajehnouri
Designing Women: Contemporary Native
PART TWO of this month's entry features Patricia (Trish) R. Schaefer, a Native American, who shares her story of what it's like to grow up on a reservation in South Dakota -- and to become a design professional! Designing Women: Contemporary Native
Photoshop: Creating Mirror Reflections...
A frequent question is how to create the realistic mirror surface reflections of an isolated image -- as popularized by Web 2.0, and Apple iPhone marketing. This tutorial shows you the easy way, and the best way in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to make Photoshop Mirror Reflections...
Clip from one... add to the other
What happens when you have two photos of two people and you need to join them into a single photo? Here, we illustrate a quick and easy way to bring another person into your photo, and make them look naturally at homne... clipping from one, and adding to the other!
Creating a Custom Drop Shadow
Photoshop's shadow layer effect does not always provide the correct shadow. The pros know you need to know how to produce realistic drop shadows by hand. Learn how to generate shadows for multiple surfaces, and projection distances by Creating your own Custom Drop Shadows
Economic Apocalypse: Eight Steps Your Company Can Take to Survive It
The private business sector is in trouble, and the final showdown is coming. If you're one of the 75 percent of mid-sized companies that's not increasing in value, it's time to adapt or die. Private business guru Rob Slee explains what you need to do right now to stay alive. Become a Midas Manager
Reviews: Alternative Vector Drawing & Painting for Mac
Once there was only one drawing and one painting program for the Mac. This month we look at several newcomers that give Mac users some exciting choices: ZeusDraw is a vector drawing program with great brushes and a host of other features... DrawIt presents an impressive assortment of professional grade vector features... iMaginator and Create are two powerful new publishing tools from Stone Works' and DropFrame is a cross-platform application that allows you to easily add a picture frame to your images. All three reviews in this month's DTG Reviews
Direct Marketing Primer
Lynne Saarte and Janice Jenkins present a four-page primer on direct response marketing. First, Janice addresses "generation y" marketing. Topics covered are using your database, marketing with postcards, and measuring your direct response marketing campaign.
The Designer's Bookshelf for 2008
There's so much new, we cannot do it in a single page... every department has some very hot new titles... * Graphic Design * in Desktop Publishing including InDesign and QuarkXpress * in Adobe Photoshop & Photography * in Web Design and Multimedia * in Graphics and 3D Rendering * for Business, Mac users, General Computing and the iLife
and they're all in the Designer's Bookshelf
We invite you to visit all our partners and friends because they support your Design Center! Take advantage of all they have to offer, and tell them DTG sent you!
Support your Design Center and DTG Magazine by becoming a partner or a friend!
- Designers "BEST" & WORST favorites from 2007.
- Creating Black & White from Color with expert Barry Huggins
- Designing in Ceramics business signage and architectural markings
- George reviews the Viewsonic VX2235 LCD Display
- Annual PC Maintenance: A quick Tune up for your computer with Wesley Warren of Vexcom.com
- LightZone digital photo editing, enhancing is the first for three operating systems
- Digital Cameras: Good, Bad, Ugly - Fred's picks
- Digital Cameras to avoid - now George picks
- Review: Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder with Maria O. Arguello
- Control Mac fonts with You Control: Fonts 1.3
- Holiday (marketing) History Rudolph and his hyper-illuminated red nose.
- Painter: Creating a Photo-Painting
- Studio Visit: world class photographer and digital artist Michael Campbell
- Book Review: Non-Designer's Design & Type Books
- You Are the News: Common Questions about Citizen Journalism
- Business: The 10 Commandments of Guerrilla Marketing Design
- Web Design Tutorial: Creating tabbed navigation in CSS
- Photoshop / Illustrator: Ultimate Patterns made easy...
- Digital Photography: Make yourself a PhotoBook
- Icograda World Design Congress
- Image Retouching: Pagoda Woodcut using Painter... Photo to Woodcut
- Promotional ideas: What's a little padding between friends?
- Product review: Padding Magic Padding Press
- Type & Fonts: New Vintage Type - Classic Fonts for the Digital Age
- Photoshop: Saving Photos: Dark, Under Exposed photos
- Photoshop: Degrading Color for Hand Tint Look using the Gradient Map
- Photoshop: Using Photoshop's "Match Color"
- Photoshop Collage Mosaic: One Photo to Many
- Photoshop: Photographically Correct Film Simulator Effects for Photoshop
- Business: Rise of the Designer / Copywriter
- Web Design: Taking it to the Top: A Short Survey of Top Level Domain Options
- Software Review: Klix saved my Photos from doom
- MORE: on the next page...
MORE: continues on the next page... ~ or SEARCH The Design Center
Real Help for Photoshop Users
tips & tricks, real-world solutions for reader problems -- as well as resources, tutorials, techniques and effects come your way each and every day in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Join the discussion : in the Designers' CAFE discussion forums
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."