April 2008: The Color of Spring
It's time to shed those dull, muted colors of winter and dawn the bright, light pastels of spring, as we celebrate our annual Spring Color issue. This month we also round our with some more entries from those Designing Women!
Light, Bright, Color, Right
... how color palette can make your vision sing, using colors to evoke a feeling, mood, sense of time or place. Let's take a look at some works of this year's Designing Women, and see how they use color to bring their visions into full light! Building Color? What's in your palette?
George Engel reviews Maggie Macnab's awesome new book all about symbols in graphic design -- he includes pictures and some links you're sure to enjoy! This is recommended for everyone Decoding Design: Understanding and Using Symbols in Visual Communication
Designing Women: Stacey Dyer
from a fine arts Painting background, to rock band lead singer and publicist comes Stacey Dyer, graphic designer par-excellence and her Triple Frog LLC a balanced design firm dedicated to printed and interactive media. Stacey Dyer: Rock on!
Designing Women: JudyAnn Dutcher
from Santa Barbara, CA, JudyAnn didn't start out to be a graphic designer -- but through a career move, she certainly became one, applying lessons learned in the services industry to become a versatile and practical designer... visit Dutcher Design: web.graphics.solutions
Designing Women 2008 Part 2
... This month, Janet, Maryvonne, Becky and Christina join us in the April Creative Net to share their brief vision -- and a glimpse at their work. But don't worry, their links are included and you're in for some spectacular eye-candy... I guarantee you'll enjoy Designing Women, 2008
Color Palettes in Design
The art of color is a difficult art to learn, and apply. So many people today think they can design a pleasing color palette, but really cannot. But one thing they can do -- seek out the fabulous Art Nouveau design and ornament period for an unlimited wellspring of ideas for Color Palettes in Design
Business: Top 10 Marketing Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
It's been a while since the last time we shared some marketing tips, so this is overdue! If you organization is lagging behind, you'll want to tune up your outreach, understand these situations, and recognize the Top 10 Marketing Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Soft Soap revisited
A year after our article on a certain self-promotion from the 1970s, one of the creators of that promotion, Ron Mabey of the famed Mabey Trousdell studios -- writes to shed some light on the original creation of that controversial promotional box called ... SOFT SOAP
Reviews: Help for Digital Photographers
This month we focus on digital photography and getting ready for the spring/summer shooting season...
Digital Photography Companion the practical photography advice you can take anywhere
Digital Photography digital photography from the ground up
The Photograph for the serious intermediate and advanced photographer
Photonic for Flickr Mac OS X's first full Flickr application
LightZone access to extensive video tutorials
Ultimate photo retouch kit for PROs ONLY!
Codeless web sites
If you would rather not dig under the hood and work directly with web html code, then Freeway 5 could be for you. With its traditional page layout approach, Freeway makes it easy to create dynamic websites without the need to write code... you need Codeless web sites
The Designer's Bookshelf for 2008
There's so much new, we cannot do it in a single page... every department has some very hot new titles... * Graphic Design * in Desktop Publishing including InDesign and QuarkXpress * in Adobe Photoshop & Photography * in Web Design and Multimedia * in Graphics and 3D Rendering * for Business, Mac users, General Computing and the iLife
and they're all in the Designer's Bookshelf
We invite you to visit all our partners and friends because they support your Design Center! Take advantage of all they have to offer, and tell them DTG sent you!
Support your Design Center and DTG Magazine by becoming a partner or a friend!
- Designing Women: Sareh Khajehnouri
- Designing Women: Contemporary Native
- Designing Women: Designing Women, 2008
- Photoshop: Creating Mirror Reflections...
- Photoshop: Join two photos clipping from one, and adding to the other!
- Photoshop 911: Creating your own Custom Drop Shadows
- Design Business: Become a Midas Manager
- Design Business: direct response marketing campaign.
- Designers "BEST" & WORST favorites from 2007.
- Creating Black & White from Color with expert Barry Huggins
- Designing in Ceramics business signage and architectural markings
- George reviews the Viewsonic VX2235 LCD Display
- Annual PC Maintenance: A quick Tune up for your computer with Wesley Warren of Vexcom.com
- LightZone digital photo editing, enhancing is the first for three operating systems
- MORE: on the next page...
Real Help for Photoshop Users
tips & tricks, real-world solutions for reader problems -- as well as resources, tutorials, techniques and effects come your way each and every day in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Join the discussion : in the Designers' CAFE discussion forums
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."