Here we are... the holidays again
The holidays are here, and we're looking forward to 2009, and to recapping all the best of 2008. Enjoy this month's offerings, and don't forget the Publisher's Warehouse "Gifts" gallery is open, so come on down and get yourself a gift -- our way of saying 'thank you' for being on board all year long!
Feature: Cover Design critique, tips and tricks
The recent Wiley Design Challenge saw a great collection of cover designs for Al Ward's upcoming Photoshop for Right Brainers book. We see some outstanding Photoshop work -- but are they good book cover designs? This is a critique and a tutorial to teach and illustrate Book Cover Design Tips & Tricks
What do you need?
These days it's not so easy to get jobs through to finished printing -- but with our templates, you can -- Brochures, Tri Fold Brochures, Newsletters, Business Cards, Letterheads, Postcards, Print Ads, Flyers, Datasheets, Menus, Greeting Cards, Posters, -- and you can select from a great selection of all kinds of professionally designed layouts
Layouts for Christmas and the holidays
Special iWork / iWeb layouts for Mac users
Church and Religious Designs
High Tech communications designs
Construction, building and contractors
Financial Planner Design marketing materials
All American Diner, menus and marketing materials
Financial Marketing and consulting
For Graphic Designers new site layout and subscriptions
Home marketing and Real Estate business templates
Security Systems, and security professionals marketing
Wine Vineyard, food and food service layouts
... and a lot More!
Creating a Logo Using Serif's PagePlus X3
Combining text and graphic capabilities, the PagePlus X3 Logo Studio makes it easy to produce logos and taglines either from scratch, from imported artwork, or by using one of the more than 400 template designs. Dale Cook shows how easy it is to use Logo Studio to create a logo using PagePlus
Photoshop Madness... holiday madness
Photoshop CS4 Tricks with Alex Walker * Content Aware Image Resizing * Sue's Assorted Patterns * FREE Photoshop Christmas Frame Templates * Photo Actions * Camxso Christmas Shapes * Photoshop Brushes * Photoshop Phabric * Putting a face on ... M&M'S * 220 Amazing Free Photoshop Layer Styles * Free Styles and Patterns * Adobe Creative Suite 4 prices and more. If you see a big box over on the right or left for Adobe, click on it!
Enjoy this month's edition of Photoshop (Holiday) Madness
Photo Books make Great Gifts
Now is the time to start thinking about gifts -- particularly if you want very thoughtful yet fairly inexpensive gifts. Planning is important, and as you shoot -- keep your photo book concepts in mind and shoot for the purpose. Here, MJ Johnston shares some tips on photo books
Photographic Greeting Cards
You probably have a great treasury of photos that could be put to real use! Here, noted photographer John Huegel shares tips and guides you to create some truly great, high-quality cards you will be proud to send -- and your recipients will by happy to save... Photographic Greeting Cards
Using Cheap Media?
Are you ready to risk your images just to save a few bucks? Is it Ok to Use Cheaper Media in Your Digital Camera? Andrew Malek provides some advice why you should purchase memory media for your digital camera with caution and try to avoid buying or Using Cheap Media
12 Creative Photography Ideas
You'll be taking a lot of photos in the weeks to come. Here, photographer John Huegel says "Keep these ideas in mind, to get your creative juices flowing and increase your skills and value as a photographer" Just try some of these 12 Creative Photography Ideas
Photographers using Photoshop
The Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers, spotlights only the critical tools you'll need most often in one compact reference -- Derrick Story teaches you how to quickly and efficiently organize and edit your photos without compromising the originals. Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers
Deke is back... and even better
The One-To-One series is the best in the market for learning any of Adobe's Creative Suite. Read the lesson. Watch the video. Do the exercises, and you'll learn Adobe InDesign CS4 from expert and Adobe guru Deke McClelland. Deke McClelland goes One-on-One with InDesign CS4
Mistakes to Avoid When Starting a Business
Just starting out in business? Launching a freelance career? Here are killer mistakes to avoid when starting a business excerpted from So, You Want to Start a Business? by Ed Hess and Charles Goetz 8 Killer Mistakes to Avoid When Starting a Business
Gerald Gallo Art Nouveau Ornaments
Jerry has added more than 141 new fonts to the Gallo collection since we first met him way back in the Fonts Festival of 1998. Just in time for the holidays he brings yet another great picture font -- a collection of Art Nouveau ornaments culled from historic sources, built into an Open Type font Art Nouveau Ornaments
GPU-Powered Photoshop Alternative
Pixelmator is the revolutionary GPU-powered image editing tool that provides everything needed to create, edit, and enhance still images - Magic Wand, Paint Bucket, and Magic Eraser tools; improved Hue and Saturation, Replace Color, and Colorize tools; Smart Palette Hide; and more. The upgrade is free. Pixelmator gets better
Graphic ideas for the Holidays
Are you finding yourself a little stretched for time? To get the creative juices flowing, and the projects delivered on time, all you really need is a little script, a little clip art, and a little imagination. Generate some stand-out promotional greetings with these Graphic ideas for the Holidays
60-Seconds: Change is coming
Although attempting to stay out of politics all together during November, I had to post this 60-Second Window because it does relate directly to the internet, internet users, and your security and safety. The change is coming, folks ... the question is will it be good change or bad change 60-Second Window: Change is comingNews, Reviews &Else!
Newsletter Critique & Makeover Clinic
It's been several years since I came in off the road doing my national "Newsletter Makeover Clinics." I had thought that by now, everyone already knows how. Well, today there's a new need for it, so we've opened the clinic again, and can help you take your newsletter or publication to the next level. I guarantee you'll like what you learn at our Newsletter Critique & Makeover Clinic
What's in your portfolio?
Here is your opportunity to show and tell DTG and Design Center readers about your photography, graphic design, illustration or image editing experience and skills! Send in your three or four best pieces of digital photography, image editing, or photo-illustration, and we'll enjoy a field trip to your digital digs...
We invite you to visit all our partners and friends because they support your Design Center! Take advantage of all they have to offer, and tell them DTG sent you!
Support your Design Center and DTG Magazine by becoming a partner or a friend!
- Design: Paper Engineering: Design, Cut, Fold, POP
- Photoshop: Photoshop Madness for November
- Business: Why Bad Spending Happens To Good People
- Business: The $tart-Up $olutionStart a business now??? Some say yes
- Design: Will viewers remember the shock or the product; or both? Elements of Shock used in Advertising
- Photoshop: Photoshop Lightroom 2 Adventure a hands-on, guided tour of Lightroom 2.0
- Reviews: Serif PagePlus Publishing Suite desktop publishing for Windows
- NEW for the season: Olympus Digital Cameras
- CS4: Adobe Photoshop CS4 shipping and getting hot
- Gallery: Thomas Morris Design Letterforms that shaped a generation
- Typography: A Brief History of Typography
- Type: What are Book Fonts, why do we need them
- Adobe: Creative Suite 4: what will it cost? Read them and weep
- Photoshop: Photoshop Madness... political jokes, CS4, vids and more
- Fonts: If you only had ONE FONT
- Fred's Famous Fonts Surf for 2008
- Designers tell their stories Fonts: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Fonts: Gallo presents Gothic Initials and Floral Pictograms
- DTP with PagePlus: Text on a Path
- Books: Font & Type Fantasy
- Holiday: Designing promotions with Pop-up Cards Magnifici
- Photography: High Dynamic Range Imaging HDRI
- Reviews: Art Directors Toolkit Now you can hook right in
- Business: New Product Blueprinting Important reading for Design and Marketing managers
- Photography: ImageFramer custom image framing Add a little class to your photos!
- iPhone: Turn your photos to paintings Gesture
- MORE: on the next page...
Real Help for Photoshop Users
tips & tricks, real-world solutions for reader problems -- as well as resources, tutorials, techniques and effects come your way each and every day in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Join the discussion : in the Designers' CAFE discussion forums
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."