February: Black History
In honor of Black History Month we take a fun and educational field trip to visit the leading archives and prestigious educational institutions to discover more wonderful visual art works by African American Artists & Designers
Then, we'll delve into logo design, and follow some controversy stirred up in the logo design community. They've been blogging to high heaven. Now we see what all the ruckus is about.
February: Black History
In honor of Black History Month we take this fun and educational field trip to visit the leading archives and prestigious educational institutions to discover more wonderful visual art works by African American Artists & Designers.
Logo Design: Pepsi vs. Obama
Driven by the strange allure of blog discussions all over the web about the new Pepsi logo and if it is similar to Obama's campaign logo, we look at what a logo really is, and ask the obvious, but overlooked question: How long have they been putting things in circles for logos?
Logo Design according to Paul Rand
Originally published in 1991 by AIGA, the professional association for design, icon of the design industry Paul Rand shares his wisdom: A well designed logo, in the end, is a reflection of the business it symbolizes. It connotes a thoughtful and purposeful enterprise, and mirrors the quality of its products and services. It is good public relations -- a harbinger of good will. Logo Design according to Paul Rand
Photoshop Madness... free plug-ins to panoramas
This issue takes you from Stitching a Panorama in Adobe Photoshop CS4 to a wonderful series of Free Photoshop Plug-ins including * Free Plugins from the Ink Pot * Mehdi duz Fur ... and tutorials like * Improving your Waterfall Photos ... and then we take you straight to Photoshop Tutorial Hell
Enjoy this month's edition of Photoshop Madness
What did you miss in the last edition?
Logos look like logos that look like logos
with all the talk about logos going around the internet, Fred places his tongue firmly in cheek and takes a loving look at logo look-a-likes, logo spoofs, logos that look like logos, logo rip-offs, and even has the audacity to preview his own new logo concept... logos that look like logos?
Designing Logos: Magic or Reality?
While we're on the topic of Logos this month, Gary Dickson reflects on designing logos -- and, he dispels some myths and shares anecdotes on what a logo really is; how some clients never learn, and what Paul Rand had to say about them. Gary says "Logos are magic, but seriously folks there's Nothing Up My Sleeve
Graphic Design: LOGOs back to basics
Logo design without the whistles and bells -- Dan Antonelli is back with another thoughtful look at logo design, and integration of typography with logo design. In this article, Dan asks if we are over-designing logos, and demonstrates a low-cost, two-color approach that takes Logo Design Back to the Basics
DESIGNING WOMEN: on deck in March
Our March theme is Women's History Month... and DESIGNING WOMEN! We'll be discovering famous accomplishments by women, and we'll be visiting studios of women in the visual arts, design, illustration and communications industry. WIN some of our valuable prizes by sharing with DT&G readers Tell us your...
Favorite Women Designers
Accomplishments by women in the arts
Your experiences as a Designing Woman
REGISTER TO SHOW YOUR BEST WORK, if you are a woman in the design field!
Sign up here
Visit past designing women in the Gallery
Picturesque for Mac OS X
If you haven't seen Picturesque, then you should. The new 2.1 is a major update to the Apple Design Award winning image beautifying application. Picturesque makes images look gorgeous for the web, adding Web 2.0 style effects. Picturesque for Mac OS X
InPreflight for InDesign
If you do desktop publishing, you've probably discovered the problems getting files to the printer. Zevrix Solutions has rolled out InPreflight 2.6.3, a maintenance update to its quality control and packaging automation solution for Adobe InDesign. InPreflight for InDesign
TypeTrax for Adobe InDesign
TypeTrax is a new product for managing design projects created using Adobe Creative Suite. Developed jointly by Insider Software and Moksa, Inc., TypeTrax manages projects, and tracks, organizes and pre-flights project files, including fonts and digital assets. TypeTrax for Adobe InDesign
Hydra HDR Imaging
Hydra goes beyond the physical limitations of camera sensors. From a series of regular photographs of the same scene, Hydra creates an High Dynamic Range image which is much closer to what one can actually see. Hydra HDR Imaging
Photographic Multishot Techniques
Photographic Multishot Techniques -- the potential of high dynamic range imaging (HDRI). Now, the newest techniques based on a bracketed series of exposures make it possible to go beyond HDRI: photographers can increase resolution for ultra-sharp, detailed images, and they can extend the depth of field Photographic Multishot Techniques
Creating a Web Site
Think you need an army of skilled programmers to build a website? Think again. With this book, in the true tradition of Missing Manual books, you'll learn how to create Web pages using all of today's important tools... Creating a Web Site
Photoshop CS4 Review
George picks up the latest incarnation of Photoshop and shares some of its highs and lows. If you haven't upgraded yet, perhaps you should read this and see if it helps you make up your mind! George reviews Photoshop CS4News, Reviews &Else!
What do you need?
These days it's not so easy to get jobs through to finished printing -- but with our templates, you can -- Brochures, Tri Fold Brochures, Newsletters, Business Cards, Letterheads, Postcards, Print Ads, Flyers, Datasheets, Menus, Greeting Cards, Posters, -- and you can select from a great selection of all kinds of professionally designed layouts
Special iWork / iWeb layouts for Mac users
Church and Religious Designs
High Tech communications designs
Construction, building and contractors
Financial Planner Design marketing materials
All American Diner, menus and marketing materials
Financial Marketing and consulting
For Graphic Designers new site layout and subscriptions
Home marketing and Real Estate business templates
Security Systems, and security professionals marketing
Wine Vineyard, food and food service layouts
... and a lot More!
Newsletter Critique & Makeover Clinic
It's been several years since I came in off the road doing my national "Newsletter Makeover Clinics." I had thought that by now, everyone already knows how. Well, today there's a new need for it, so we've opened the clinic again, and can help you take your newsletter or publication to the next level. I guarantee you'll like what you learn at our Newsletter Critique & Makeover Clinic
What's in your portfolio?
Here is your opportunity to show and tell DTG and Design Center readers about your photography, graphic design, illustration or image editing experience and skills! Send in your three or four best pieces of digital photography, image editing, or photo-illustration, and we'll enjoy a field trip to your digital digs...
- Web: How web environment can affect your bottom line
- Graphics: Mac Poster Machine Posterino is so cool you have to see for yourself Graphics: Obamafy yourself: like the famous poster Free Graphics Software
- Photographic: ContrastMaster for MacOS X creating dramatic contrast
- Design: PowerPoint Tips: Keep Your Audience Awake
- Business: Run BASIC Programming for non-programmers
- Commentary: What will the future bring?" Colour My World
- Creative Networking: Designers share their BEST finds for 2008
- Fonts: Gallo presents the Tree Assortment wishing for spring!
- Web Design: The Daily Savings Website horizontal scroller
- Business: The Leadership Vacuum with Nick Tasler
- BEST: User Picks Best DTG of 2008
- BEST: User Picks Best BOOKS of 2008: DTG Readers clicked on these the most!
- BEST: 2008 BEST AWARDS
- Bookshelf: The Inner Life of Martin Frost a stunning concoction of typography
- Photoshop: onOne Plug-in Suite 4 6 high-powered plug-ins
- Graphic Design: Book Cover Design Tips & Tricks
- Graphic Design: create a logo using PagePlus
- Photography: tips on producing photo books
- Photoshop: (Holiday) Madness
- Graphic Design: Photographic Greeting Cards
- Reviews: Using Cheap Media
- Digital Photography: 12 Creative Photography Ideas
- Photographics: Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers with Derrick Story
- Desktop Publishing: Deke McClelland goes One-on-One with InDesign CS4
- Design Business: 8 Killer Mistakes to Avoid When Starting a Business
- 60-Second Window: Arlington at Christmas
- Design: Graphic ideas for the Holidays
- Typography: Gerald Gallo Art Nouveau Ornaments
- Design: Paper Engineering: Design, Cut, Fold, POP
- Photoshop: Photoshop Madness for November
- MORE: on the next page...
Real Help for Photoshop Users
tips & tricks, real-world solutions for reader problems -- as well as resources, tutorials, techniques and effects come your way each and every day in the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room!
Photoshop Questions Need Answers
Photoshop 911 has been overwhelmed with questions from readers -- looking for answers! If you are a Photoshop guru, we urge you to stop in and tackle some of the many Photoshop and Photoshop Elements questions from the Photoshop 911 Help Line. Help us Answer Questions from Readers
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive news about DT& headlines, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Join the discussion : in the Designers' CAFE discussion forums
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Help Support The Design Center: with your donation, we say thank you with free books, listings, and even links on the front page!
- Does your Web Site Suck?: Let the WDR Design Team give you a critique of your web site and get helpful advice on how to make it the best it can be!
YOUR LINK HERE? your products or services among these pages! Just see the "Partner" section of our "Friends" page.
- Continues on the NEXT PAGE
David Pogue, in Macworld Magazine said
"DT&G is a one man tour de force of advice, instruction and how-to's pertaining to all things graphic! . . . There are other ezines about design and art. But none approach the usefulness of this one."