DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 24, #1 ~ January
- HAPPY NEW YEAR ~ Here comes a new year
- 60-Seconds 303: fortunes to be made in the 48-hour logo site
- Creating a unique triangle mosaic using Photoshop
- Graphic Design : How to edit vector pattern files in Illustrator
- Convert lettering, type, photos, drawings, or art into Artistic Chalkboard designs and signs
- Books: Learning the art of Photography with Popular Cameras from Nikon and Canon
- Sandy says : Make An Impression With a Pop-By
- RIT acquires famed Kelmscott/Goudy hand press in Christie’s auction
- Calling all film-makers!
- Connected world: How LinkedIn's Legal Issues Affect the Network's Users
- Marketing Update : New year, new game, another chance at Marketing, and Advertising success
- Marketing Update : Marketing, Public Relations and Advertising into 2014
- Online Social Media Update : 2013 is over, now 2014
- Online Social Media Update : Ending the year of Social Media
- WEB: Rolling into 2014 with lots of advice for web designers
- WEB: Web Update for 2014: Graphic Design, web designers, and any visual creatives involved in the internet or web
- WEB: Sorting out the players Facebook, Linkedin, Reddit, InstaGram, YouTube, Google+, Yelp and 6,000 others
- Well wishes for a wonderful 2014
Welcome new subscribers
Thanks for subscribing to receive the DTG Newsletter - mailed once per month.
* This month, we welcome new subscribers from www.DTG-Forums.com : Photoshop 911, and the Design Cafe, both at http://www.dtg-forums.com/, and look forward to answering many questions in the forums.
You've probably seen the design community cult-movement "No SPEC" against spec-work, or seen thousands of complaints from graphic designers about the hack logo sites proliferating online these days. Today I got a press release, for DTG, from "48-hour Logos" a crowd sourcing site offering "contests" for designing logos. I've provided reference links below, but first, consider this 60-Seconds 303: fortunes to be made in the 48-hour logo site
In this Photoshop Tutorial from Wu Hui, we see a unique procedure for producing a triangle mosaic that does not rely on Photoshop's automated routines. Not only do you learn the functions -- it demonstrates how you can utilize Photoshop without filters or styles and actually obtain better results. Creating a unique triangle mosaic using Photoshop
Thanks to Adrian Bidea of VectorPack.net for sending in this Adobe Illustrator tutorial, with tips on editing pattern files in Adobe Illustrator. Quite often some of the problems involved with Illustrator patterns is getting them to fit the overall scene correctly. You either have to rework the pattern, or create a new one. This tutorial will make life much easier... Graphic Design : How to edit vector pattern files in Illustrator
We highlighted in the Gallery for the Fall Fonts Fest, chalk art is a growing craze that really takes a lot of talent. Well, now there's a very cool App for Macintosh and Windows that may reduce a lot of the need for talent because it actually simulates chalkboard art! Amazing! Convert lettering, type, photos, drawings, or art into Artistic Chalkboard designs and signs
Cameras these days have gotten more and more complicated and the turf once reserved for trained professionals now befalls many with no training whatsoever. What to do? The books we present below will bring you up to speed on some of the most popular cameras, and up to snuff on Photoshop Elements, the most recommended software package for consumer camera users . . . enjoy :
* Make ordinary photos extraordinary with Photoshop Elements For Dummies!
* Photographing Families: Tips for Capturing Timeless Images
* Teach Yourself VISUALLY Photoshop Elements 12
* Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D For Dummies
* Photoshop Elements 12 For Dummies
* Canon EOS 70D Digital Field Guide
* Nikon D5200 For Dummies
* Nikon D3100 For Dummies
... and more Books: Learning the art of Photography with Popular Cameras from Nikon and Canon
We love to see great ideas pop up, and we love passing them along to readers! A big THANKS goes out to our good friend Sandy Hibbard for sharing this wonderful and timely marketing tip with DTG readers. There's no better time than today -- right now -- to push your message in a friendly way. Sandy has the idea ... Sandy says : Make An Impression With a Pop-By
The Kelmscott/Goudy hand press will finally find its home in the renowned Cary Graphic Arts Collection -- The highest bidder at the Christie’s auction for the Kelmscott/Goudy Albion iron hand press No. 6551 was Rochester Institute of Technology’s Cary Graphic Arts Collection. The press, manufactured by Hopkinson & Cope in 1891, sold for $233,000 on Dec. 6. It will arrive on the RIT campus within the next few weeks. RIT acquires famed Kelmscott/Goudy hand press in Christie’s auction
Viewster launches Online Film Fest competition offering $100,000 prize money --- plus you get the chance to impress the producer of '21 Grams' Ted Hope! Calling all film-makers!
For millions of users, the business-oriented social networking site LinkedIn has been a way up in the world, creating connections that result in employment, sales, and advancement. According to Visual.ly*, the site creates ten million endorsements each day amongst the two hundred million users while one in three users visit the site daily. Connected world: How LinkedIn's Legal Issues Affect the Network's Users
Don't be fooled by the business doldrums of the winter months! There are real opportunities for January, February and March. Here's our first marketing, public relations and advertising update for the year ... go for it :
* Ask yourself these questions before posting about the news
* Mobile ad spending is through the roof. That’s a big deal.
* Top Tips for Writing Successful SMS Marketing Messages
* 9 steps to effective business emails
* 3 Media Kit Must-Haves
... and more Marketing Update : New year, new game, another chance at Marketing, and Advertising success
Closing out 2013 sets us up to launch our marketing programs for 2014, and it's not a moment too early ... here we go :
* How Social Data Changes Everything We Know About Marketing
* Understanding and utilizing digital marketing
* How to Frame Your Visual Storytelling Strategy
* Are You Posting Without a Plan?
* Stop Losing Leads
... and more Marketing Update : Marketing, Public Relations and Advertising into 2014
We're wrapping up the end of the year, and now our Social Media update. In 2014 you can expect the social medias to become even more influential and important to online designers and marketers. Stay tuned here to keep up with new social media trends . . .
* 90% Of Customers Will Recommend Brands After Social Media Interactions
* Social Media Usage Up 800% For U.S. Online Adults In Just 8 Years
* Global Social Media Networks Set to Overtake Facebook?
* 26 Tips for Using Instagram for Business
* Readership Surveys: 10 Good Reasons Why
.... and the continuing world of social media and networking
* Online Social Media Update : 2013 is over, now 2014
This Social Media update doesn't stop! Take your mobile device, iPad or laptop along for the holidays so you can keep up with new social media trends -- watch out for all the holiday photos from friends . . .
* 26 Tips to Create a Strong Social Media Content Strategy
* Social Media Best Practices For Organizations
* Facebook Hashtags: The New Game Changer
* The grassroots effect of social media
* 5 Biggest Social Media Mistakes ... and the continuing world of social media and networking Online Social Media Update : Ending the year of Social Media
With traditional web sites going the way of the dinosaurs, there's lots to learn and lots to keep up with in the brave new Web 2.0 world of blogs, social media, hashtabs and the new stuff coming out every day you didn't have a clue about ! This is one of four, upcoming:
* How to Set Up a Hosted WordPress Site
* How to Use Google Trends for SEO
* #Hashtags? #WhatsTheBigDeal?
* 5 Reasons You Need A Blog
* 404 page best practices
.... and the continuing online world WEB: Rolling into 2014 with lots of advice for web designers
WEB: Web Update for 2014: Graphic Design, web designers, and any visual creatives involved in the internet or web
Kicking off the new year with SEO woes, boosts and video optimization, they say that video is the next big horizon for web designers - - but we're also seeing more and more web sites that actually suck. But leave that to the Web Design Update team :
* Responsive now: The rise of front-end frameworks, potential pitfalls to consider
* Now Updated: The Periodic Table Of SEO Success Factors
* Searcher Personas: A Case for User-Centric SEO
* The Definition of a Website Must be Updated
* 5 YouTube Video Optimization Tips
.... and the continuing online world WEB: Web Update for 2014: Graphic Design, web designers, and any visual creatives involved in the internet or web
WEB: Sorting out the players Facebook, Linkedin, Reddit, InstaGram, YouTube, Google+, Yelp and 6,000 others
It's going to get ugly . . . how can you keep all these separate, and who knows which one might rise to the top of the heap. But when there are that many, there's a good opportunity to align with your target market. Web Design gets uglier but more fun at the same time
* Pinterest drives more traffic to publishers than Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit combined
* Eating My (Key) Words: Changing The Way We Think About SEO
* The only tool you need to succeed on Twitter
* 9 Link Building Lessons We Learned As Kids
* Importance of 404 error pages .... and the continuing online world
As we begin another year, I've made a few resolutions. I'm going to blog more, and pontificate less. 60-Second Windows, our Creative updates, Web updates, and Photoshop Madness columns will take the lead, but tutorials and such will begin fading away. There are billions of tutorials. We'd only be repeating the already-over-repeated. But access to great ideas, great design, design philosophy, and the ever changing world is far more important to push. So we'll be evolving DTG and 60-Seconds more toward access.
I want to remind you all about each month's "theme" give away. February is coming up, and for Valentine's day the theme is How I love Design! It's also Black History Month so African American art, or are celebrating Black History is what we'll be looking for ... come on ine an post your reasons for loving Design...
* Your favorite aspects of the design, illustration or graphics world
* Great Valentine's Promotions you've seen
* Great Valentine's graphics or art you've seen
* American Black History Month references, art and design
* MARCH: Designing Women Month
* April: Designing Women / Color Palettes
* May: Colors for Spring, Spring promotions
We'll be selecting entries for publication, and if we select yours, you've WON! So, all month long, the Publishers' Warehouse will be hosting the loading dock under the "love" directory in the Design Center.
Happy new year, and ...
Well, once again you've already wasted a perfectly good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info.
Well wishes for a wonderful 2014
Thanks for reading...
Parting words for January:
"The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness
rather than in its value."
- Charles Dudley Warne
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2014, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------