SNAP TO GRID
LA Art Contest...
Every year for 50 years the L.A. Municipal Gallery has held its "Open Call" exhibit where any artist can show up with their art and an entry fee (to benefit gallery programs) and the piece is shown.
The Los Angeles Center For Digital Art decided to launch an international experiment of the same nature where the artists upload images that are printed and hung by the gallery. The hundreds of works are displayed in a grid-like installation (reminiscent of postcard art shows of the 1980's) where every work submitted is exhibited. The usual (less than democratic) selection process where only the precious few are chosen is turned on its head in a curatorial anarchy where everyone gets to participate and the viewer is literally left to be the judge.
The show represents a snapshot of a current moment in art history when digital imaging has reached the hands of the many, an age where culture belongs to the "mobblogers" around the globe.
From Thailand to Texas, amateur to academic, beautiful to banal and beyond the monumental quantity and variety of "SNAP TO GRID" becomes an aesthetic experience where each individual piece adds to an agglomerative effect that has a life of its own.
- Los Angeles Center for Digital Art
- 5723 Melrose Avenue, Suite 202,
- Los Angeles, CA 90038
- Contact: Rex Bruce
- Formal Announcement
Recent Favorites from LA
- SNAP TO GRID - September 9-October 1, at The Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, Los Angeles, CA
- Forever Existence - Dynamic Movements Series I: In memory of 911 A solo exhibition, featuring a contemporary/experimental artist: Acton Chin - August 2004
- Andy Warhol, "Silver Clouds" (See Portfolio of "The Glen Years" August 2004
- In America Now Juried by Peter Frank August 2004
- Le Pinchefuntastique, "Brown Out V: The Temple of the Poison Pedagogy" - Dangerous Curve Gallery, Los Angeles, CA August 2004
- Marlene Capell, "Paintings" FIG Gallery, Santa Monica, CA 90404 August 2004
- Odd Nerdrum: New Paintings Forum Gallery - Los Angeles, California August 2004
- The More Things Change. . . - George Stern Fine Arts, West Hollywood, CA September 2004
- 3 Painters - I-5 Gallery at The Brewery, Los Angeles, CA 90031 August 2004
- Cell-Outs and Phonies an exhibition of cell phone media - Los Angeles Center For Digital Art August 2004
- Roger Vail: Spin Out September 10th - November 6th, Michael Dawson Gallery, Los Angeles, California 90004
- Lichtenstein, Matisse, Picasso August 28 � September 21, Leslie Sacks Fine Art, Los Angeles, CA 90049
- Art and Illusion: Selections from the Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundatio - through October 24, Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
- A Sweet Year: A Taste Of The Jewish Holidays Mark Podwal, Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles, California
- Tracey Snelling: Last Picture Show through November 6, 2004, Stephen Cohen Gallery, Inc., Los Angeles, CA
- VULNERABLE - Peter Liashkov, Susan Rankaitis - through September 25, ANDLAB, Los Angeles, CA 90031
- Guy and Fence August 2004; Blinds G. Sacco
- Fiber H Gamboa, August 2004
- PlanterH Shore; August 2004
- L Letinsky August 2004
- M Sheinkman August 2004
- O. Khan August 2004
About LACDA: Los Angeles Center For Digital Art is dedicated to the propagation of all forms of digital art, supporting local, international, emerging and established artists. We have an ongoing schedule of exhibits and competitions, produce editions of wide format archival prints, and provide low cost education for individuals interested in learning computer programs utilized for art, photography and design.
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- SUBSCRIBE: to the Web Design & Review email list
- READ Our Writer's Guidelines: before sending articles
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- SUBMIT: a link to a Photoshop web site
- Trademarks & Legal