BEST BOOKS 2008
We looked at the logs, and found the most popular books from 2008, and decided to present them here for you! Now, you don't have to weed back through all the front pages to find great content...
- Photoshop CS3 Accelerated Photoshop CS3 Accelerated - navigate Photoshop, whether you're a beginner or a pro - accelerate your photoshop skills with this practical, sophisticated guide
- Painting the Web Not since Lynda Weinman arrived on the scene has there been such a comprehensive book on creating graphics for the web. Catch Users' Eyes and Keep Them on Your Site -- Painting the Web
- dekePod 101 Photoshop Tips in 5 Minutes -- Deke's wacky Photoshop tips-fest portends more good times ahead -- this instructive series of video podcasts promises to be uncensored, unregulated, and frankly unlike any other videos on the topics of computer graphics
- Photoshop Lightroom 2 Adventure This is one of the books that top our "BEST" list for anyone with a digital camera! In this beautifully illustrated and inspiring new book -- "Photoshop Lightroom 2 Adventure" -- award-winning photographer and best-selling author Mikkel Aaland gives you a hands-on, guided tour of Lightroom 2.0
- Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers The Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers, spotlights only the critical tools you'll need most often in one compact reference -- Derrick Story teaches you how to quickly and efficiently organize and edit your photos without compromising the originals.
- Cook some Adobe Air Buzz continues to build over the release of Adobe AIR 1.5. The first book available on Adobe AIR 1.5 is the Adobe AIR 1.5 Cookbook, providing solutions and practical examples from rich internet application developers. If you're getting into this arena, then you'll need a cookbook
- InDesign CS4 One-on-One The One-To-One series is the best in the market for learning any of Adobe's Creative Suite. Read the lesson. Watch the video. Do the exercises, and you'll learn Adobe InDesign CS4 from expert and Adobe guru Deke McClelland.
- Adobe InDesign CS3 Nothing comes closer to a personal coach than Deke McClelland. In this impressive book, Deke works with you to learn the most important skills in Adobe's InDesign software. Get Deke to train you One-on-One
- Creating Great Presentations The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations by Nancy Duarte, President and CEO of Duarte Design in Mountain View, CA -- slide:ology offers practical approaches on how to create ideas, translate them into pictures, display them well, and then deliver them in your own natural way.
Photography & Digital Cameras
- The Creative Digital Darkroom Katrin Eismann Teaches Photographers How to Sculpt with Light and Listen to Their Images - new tutorial provides digital photographers with much more than the quick tips and gimmicky effects of many of today's books
- Take Your Best Shot Take Your Best Shot - Digital Imaging Expert Tim Grey tackles your photography q uestions with clear, informed answers to the questions serious photographers ask most often
- Practical HDRI How to Capture the Beauty of Infrared Imagery - In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of exposures (the range of values between light and dark areas) than normal digital imaging techniques.
- Learn the Canon Digital Rebel Get to know the Digital Rebel XSi/450D and how it works -- this is a super reference for taking stunning pictures, creative tips, technical advice for capturing professional-looking images of people, landscapes, action shots, close-ups, night shots -- the ones that usually cause the most problems.
- Master the Canon EOS 40D Learn to master this magnificent camera, and learn it the photographer's way; from the basics of exposure and metering to focus modes, live view, bracketing, continuous shooting, and flash photography.
- Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D If you're thinking about investing in a new Canon Rebel camera, or you already own one, you'll definitely want to check out the latest books from O'Reilly's popular Companion series. Ben Long gives you a full-on photography class built specifically around the XS.
- Mastering the Nikon D300 Mastering the Nikon D300 brings you a wealth of information and insights for owners of this powerful new camera -- Darrell Young leads you on an exploration of the features and capabilities of the powerful new Nikon D300 camera
Computing, Internet, and general audience
- The Ultimate HTML Reference Do you code html? The Ultimate HTML Reference is a complete and up-to-date guide to HTML -- definitive resource covers all aspects of HTML and XHTML, including the upcoming HTML 5 specifications
- Mastering XML Transformations XML went from a strange new idea to entrenched buzzword in record time. Its flexibility as a language for presenting structured data made it the lingua franca for sending data across the web.
- The Art of Capacity Planning this book is about is practical capacity planning and management that can take place in the real world. It's about using real tools, and being able to adapt to changing usage on a website that will (hopefully) grow over time
- Developing Facebook Platform Applications Facebook changed the internet landscape forever. More than 12,000 Facebook applications have been launched so far, with over 60 million captive users. Now you can develop your own application for Facebook using the explosively popular Rails framework.
- Make a Splash on YouTube Probably the most popular web site since the introduction of Yahoo back in 1994... YouTube! Now an Insider's Guide will help you make a splash on YouTube --- YouTube veterans Alan Lastufka and Michael W. Dean will tell you how to get your video noticed by thousands.
- How to Be a Geek Goddess What a great gift for the women in your life! (Or, for yourself!) Christina Tynan-Wood, the Geek Goddess herself, (of Geek Girlfriends fame) teaches you how how to use computers with smarts and style -- and how to be a Geek Goddess
- Using Drupal When reviewing CMS systems for new blogs, and web sites, I made the mistake of trying out Drupal and Joomla. Both programs are miserably complicated -- to the point that clients didn't want to use them. Developers and programmers are scarce and expensive. If you plan on using Drupal, you're going to need help.
Computing, Internet, and general audience
- Ready, Fire, Aim: Michael Masterson's Much-Anticipated New Book, Ready, Fire, Aim, Is Released Nationwide and Offers Nine Powerful Reasons Why Entrepreneurs Should Stop Procrastinating and Start Selling!
- Audio Editing with Adobe Audition Raising the bar for audio editors -- many are turning to Adobe Audition for functions they can't do in any of the many other programs available.
- Google Apps: The Missing Manual So as Google's reach spreds across the internet, their online apps include a word processor, spreadsheet, and other office productivity programs. But Google sucks when it comes to documentation. You'll need some help!
- Google Apps Sooner or later, you'll want to learn Google Apps, which includes a word processor, spreadsheet, and other office productivity programs, now poses serious competition to Microsoft Office's dominant position on business desktop applications
- Maker's Notebook for makers, crafters, backyard scientists, inventors, and engineers -- actually anyone with a creative bent -- the journal even comes with engineering graph paper packed between its sturdy electric blue cover
- Fashioning Technology Even if you're not into making your own fashions, this ultra-cool look at the possibilities of mixing fashion garments with technology is fantastic browsing -- it's a new DIY (Do-It-Yourself) guide from O'Reilly Media and the creators of Craft magazine
- Video Trailers Beat Book Reviews Doubleday is learning that video trailers are better advertising than most print media. They've launched a contest and a series of trailers for "Rules of Deception," the new espionage thriller by Christopher Reich
- Statistics? Who understands them? These days, it seems like everything is based on statistics. But statistics are hard to understand. Take for instance the job market. You hear the talking heads moan and groan about how bad unemployment is. And two political candidate ding-dongs who say over and over they're going to "put America back to work" -- is 2 to 5% unemployment bad? Would you bet on a horse with 2 to 5% odds? I don't think so. Here's a book provides hands-on understanding of how to apply statistics. Each chapter presents you with easy-to-follow descriptions illustrated by graphics, formulas, and plenty of solved examples. Hopefully, once I read it, I'll understand why they say unemployment is so bad, when it's impossible to find anyone who wants to work!
- New Product Blueprinting Dan Adams says the only way to win in tough times is through organic growth. Companies must consistently come up with differentiated new products customers want to buy--and that means finding clarity in the "fuzzy front end" of the process.
For Macintosh computer users...
- Download Mac Cult Books... No Starch Press Turns Table on File Sharing Posts torrent versions of best-selling tech books with 11,000 combined downloads in first week
- Leopard Security Mac OS X Leopard Security - a 429 page volume - offers detailed descriptions, step-by-step instructions, as well as command-line examples, and best-practices are presented for the home user or the enterprise security architect
- Mac OS X for Unix Geeks If you're a developer or system administrator lured to Mac OS X because of its Unix roots, you'll quickly discover that performing Unix tasks on a Mac is different than what you're accustomed to.
- iPod: The Missing Manual Each time a new version of software comes out, thousands of in-the-know users immediately check for the missing manual for that product. They're great tools for learning the product right -- and considered essential!
Programming, coding, and deep computer users
- Optimize Your Use of Logic Pro 8 Although Logic Pro 8 introduces many features which improve the program's accessibility and ease of use, it remains a powerful and complex piece of software. Fortunately, you've got Logic Pro 8 Tips and Tricks --
- Learning Flex 3 offers an engagingly unique, hands-on approach that allows you to tinker with examples right away and create your own Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) with Flex
- A Sane Approach to Database Design Computers aren't hard to use. Bad software is hard to use. Many computer systems today are hard to use because they were built on top of poorly designed databases. -- Mark Johansen now reveals how to build a database that actually works
- ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide is designed specifically to help Flash designers and developers make the leap from ActionScript 2.0 to the new object-oriented ActionScript 3.0 quickly and painlessly
What do you need?
These days it's not so easy to get jobs through to finished printing -- but with our templates, you can -- Brochures, Tri Fold Brochures, Newsletters, Business Cards, Letterheads, Postcards, Print Ads, Flyers, Datasheets, Menus, Greeting Cards, Posters, -- and you can select from a great selection of all kinds of professionally designed layouts
Layouts for Christmas and the holidays
Special iWork / iWeb layouts for Mac users
Church and Religious Designs
High Tech communications designs
Construction, building and contractors
Financial Planner Design marketing materials
All American Diner, menus and marketing materials
Financial Marketing and consulting
For Graphic Designers new site layout and subscriptions
Home marketing and Real Estate business templates
Security Systems, and security professionals marketing
Wine Vineyard, food and food service layouts
... and a lot More!