Designing a Logo for the CAFE
Comments from Design Cafe Listees...
Selected reactions and comments from Cafe Listees, continued from the previous page; random order, names withheld.
First I have to say that all of the entries were yummy -- I mean, just really, really good. This isn't going to be an easy decision at all and I'm glad we have a few weeks to mull this over. I feel a bit unqualified to critique someone else's work so I tried to be honest yet tactful. I look forward to everyone else's feedback. That said, there were a few that caught my attention for one reason or another.
- #1 is one of my top 3 faves. great integration of type as the graphic and graphic as the type (which i am a sucker for). Love the "e" mouse, (even if it is a PC mouse and not a Mac mouse ;-). the fact that it used a graphic other than a coffee cup was impressive too. many of the entries focused on the "cafe" part of the name, but this one remembered the "design."
- #2 was another standout, again using type as part of the graphic. as a thumbnail, the word "design" is hard to read, but "cafe" shows up bold and clear. is the "cafe" element strong enough to carry the weight of the design? or should all the elements have a strong presense no matter what the size? i'm undecided and would like to hear others opinions regarding this issue.
- #6 and #8 were definitely original but i had a few concerns. #6 has transparency and i'm not sure how well that would transfer onto a tshirt (trying to think of all uses here). the blue, though very light, is an eye-catcher. #8 had a 3D effect which i *really* like, but at thumbnail size, the type is difficult to read. still, it's a design that makes you stop and try to figure out what exactly you're looking at and i appreciate designs that can do that.
- #10 grabbed my attention because it looked strangely familiar. then i realized it reminded me of the starbucks logo. it's not an exact duplicate, but there are similar characteristics. overall it's ok, but if i made the same comparison, I'm sure others could too.
- #11 scored a lot of points with me for simplicity and elegance. i would love to see this in print, like on a newsletter.
- #12 ranked really high. love, love, love the pencil "stirring" the coffee, the "a" as the cup and the black and yellow. i'm still undecided on the pink, but i think it could work even without the pink.
I couldn't wait to see the results.... and "BRAVO!" to all those who gave up precious time to respond. I feel guilty for not taking the time, because belonging to the Design Cafe group is having a source of expert advice at your fingertips and it continues to be my best educational resource therefore I feel I don't give back enough. Anyway you got me on a day off. "BRAVO!" to Vets past and present.
I know from my first glance which logo will win. I think the logo that will win answered to the criteria (gave the customer what he asked for) to the max. I could see it on every format in a variety of colors and sizes. My vote is for Number 2. End of discussion : >)
Comment: Strong on some
I went for Number 8 as my first choice, #2 for second and Number 14 for third. Those three would be the best to reproduce by the methods referenced in the logo design specs.
I think #8 is FANTASTIC! I love #2 also, but I can see production problems with where the "C" overlaps the cup. #14 I think would look the best embroidered, but it's missing personality, unfortunately.
Comment: Hits all entries
Number 1, and Number 7 too. I didn't vote for them, however (I voted for #8 and #2). I thought #1 was too complicated for embroidery, and #7, although very attractive, is a little too much 'cafe' and not enough 'design'. Number 10 has the same problem but to a little greater extent.
- Number 11 is the opposite; too much 'design' and not enough 'cafe'. #5 and #14 have the same problem to a little lesser extent.
- #6 is wonderful but not a fit and it feels a bit unfinished.
- #15 would be better if the globe were removed from the cup.
- I didn't care for #4 or #13 predominately because I'm not into fat text.
- #12 I felt had just a bit too much going on. There looks to be three styles being used and they don't play well together in my opinion.
- #3 and #9 I just don't feel it at all. Sorry guys.
More comments on the way