DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #5 ~ May, 2013
- Welcome new subscribers
- Photoshop (May Color) Madness
- Photoshop : Eye color, depth, hue and enhancement tips tutorial
- CREATIVE: Spring brings fresh design and design students portfolios
- Ally Lands A Brand
- Adobe InDesign never could do half decent math equations or symbols. . . until now
- Can magazines be a viable advertising option for small business?
- What happens to your digital estate and online holdings when you die?
- What is ICANN doing? What were they thinking?
- 60 seconds : The 100 Most Influential People in the World
- &Else News, Views and Reviews :
- Web Business : The Economics Of Allowing Aereo Television on Internet
- French translation of Anne-Marie's article!
- THe Alphabet Book revisited
- May & June Design Graduates: CONGRATULATIONS again!
- April showers brought May flowers, colors and Mothers . . .
NOTICE : Thanks for subscribing to receive the DTG Newsletter - mailed once per month.
* This month, we welcome new subscribers from www.DTG-Forums.com : Photoshop 911, and the Design Cafe, both at http://www.dtg-forums.com/
PHOTOSHOP MADNESS is where you practically go mad trying to find the most useful stuff for Photoshop! But seriously folks, it's spring, and we're on the search for cool color stuff in Photoshop, so stand by here we go . . .
* Premiere Pro CS6's new Three-Way Color Corrector tool step-by-step
* Color Correction and Enhancement in Adobe Photoshop CS6
* How To Use Blend Modes With Color Channels In Photoshop
* Thread: Hue Value Chroma Color Swatches For Photoshop
* How to Use Color Balance Controls in Photoshop CS6
* 3d Color Splash 3d In Resolution Of Hd Wallpapers
* Adobe Photoshop Color Blindness Filters
* An Easy Guide To HSL Color In CSS3
* Photoshop PSD File: Color Wheel
* Adobe SpeedGrade CS6
... and MORE Oh, it's just madness . . . PHOTOSHOP Madness
Thanks to Yoshua Sunjo for sending in this full Photoshop tutorial (w/pictorial) ... Yoshua writes : "In this two-step tutorial I'll demonstrate how to enhance eyes while still keeping the eyes realistic in appearance. I'll include some Effects, tips, tricks"
It's spring and graphic design is busting out all over . . . this creative surf brought us tons of beautiful work, students, graphics shows and even a book about making alphabets. . . :
* Learn to "Draw Your Own Alphabets" by Hand With a Book by Graphic Designer Tony Seddon
* David Hillman, Google Creative Lab ECD & other leading creatives discuss
* Seniors display culmination of work throughout their college careers
* Students impress local night club owners with graphic design project
* Feast Your Eyes: Senior Graphic design students serve 'design stew'
* Rutgers publishing program trains writers and designers together
* Bop Design Announces Tips for Working with Graphic Designers
* Meet : Lavender & Honey for fresh eye-candy
* Brain Candy gives young designers a boost
* Graphic Design: Now in Production
... and more CREATIVE: Spring brings fresh design and design students portfolios
Design management consultant Ted Leonhardt, formerly global head of Anthem, has penned a series of columns dealing with business issues facing emerging designers. This is the second of the series of five pieces, which explore: How to land a brand design assignment, learning to negotiate, getting a job at the firm of your choice, and taking control of salary negotiations.... Ally Lands A Brand
Isn't it amazing that a company as big as Adobe cannot get its software to make decent math equations and symbols. We were amazed at MathMagic Pro a standalone multi-purpose equation editor for mathematical equations and scientific symbols ... with a plug-in specifically for Adobe InDesign
For many small business owners, advertising is limited to a restricted number of avenues. Cheap pricing and the potential for exponential sharing almost automatically throws social media/online marketing into the forefront. Begging the question; in an increasingly digital world, is print advertising still worth the investment? Some evidence suggests it is. Can magazines be a viable advertising option for small business?
Have you planned your online estate? While nobody wants to talk or think about their own death, you owe it to the ones left behind to do some serious planning. My estate planning attorney says treat that just about like any other property you own. That's the starting point. Although your digital estate carries its own set of rules, it needs careful, accurate estate planning just like your real-life estate.
ICANN seems to be doing everything to enhance its own wellfair, but nothing to protect netizens.
* Why are they adding so many new TLDs? They cannot even administrate the ones we have, and they are perpetually putting responsibility into hands that should never have it! This special Web Update includes: Name.space sends lawsuit against ICANN over new TLDs to Court of Appeals
* ICANN gTLDs: When Names Are Borrowed from an Atlas - CircleID
* Harvard.xxx a Brand Cautionary Tale as Web Adds New Names
* United States: ICANN Opens Trademark Clearing House
* Microsoft Doesn’t Like Google’s Dotless
* New local domains see breakthrough
* Who Really Runs the Internet?
* Trademarks at Risk - Law.com
and more! Follow along What is ICANN doing? What were they thinking?
Today you can pick up copies of the new Time Magazine : 100 Most Influential People in the World. I always love it when this comes out -- so have permission here to share with you, some of the top quotations from some of the most influential people in the world. 60 seconds : The 100 Most Influential People in the World
Each month we post a slew of news items or reviews that we think will benefit our readers. This month we feature:
* Photoshop designers now have an accurate way to preview designs on the iPhone
* DiapoSheet Quickly Layouts Photo and Metadata on a PDF Contact Sheet
* WebCode: drawing app for web developers that generates code
* Air Display app turns your tablet or smart phone into a second screen
* Pen & Ink drawing with layers, blending and watercolor painting effects
* Artec Eva 3D scanner brings Elizabeth to life for BioShock
* One of the best photo enhancement apps Mac and iOS we've seen! . . . and more!
I don't know who has been following this issue, but it could affect everyone eventually. As web designers, we need to keep an eye on such issues and try to push society toward the logical resolutions. Robin Flynn sent in this article and it brings up to date with what's going on concerning AEREO. . .
In the Publishers' Warehouse we ask the origin of the Alphabet Book. We send thanks to Richard Tomkins, who wrote in to tell us the "Alphabet Book" was actually created by Ben Fry and is freely available at freely available at
WIN some of our valuable prizes by sharing with DT&G readers... Graduates, we'd like you to share your best design school portfolio work with the readers of DTG. If you're in the field already, share your work tips, tricks and experiences -- Design Graduates Speak Up with
* Student, Senior Design School work
* What you hope to achieve as you enter the field...
* What to look for in an upcoming design candidate
* Suggest successful tips and tricks for landing that job
* Story, antidote or reflection on getting the ultimate Design Job May & June Design Graduates: CONGRATULATIONS again!
This month we love color, and we want you to remember Mothers's day!
May is brought to you by the color PURPLE ...
because it means royalty, and is a frequent color for sashes at Graduation.
MAY is brought to you by the letter "M"
Next Month JUNE: Let me send you a free book!
Many design and publishing practitioners will be taking a little time off this summer -- and it's always great to catch up on some reading. So, this month's Prize Topic is: Can you suggest a graphics or design book to read?
* What's the most beneficial book you've read?
* What's the most RECENT book you referred to?cIf you had only ONE book, what would it be?
* What book(s) would you NOT recommend? (ISBN numbers would be helpful! Share yours in 25 words or more . . . to register to WIN! go to : http://www.graphic-design.com/contact.html
And, as for this month, well, you've already wasted a perfectly good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info.
Thanks for reading...
Parting words for Mother's Day...
"The God to whom little boys say their prayers
has a face very like their mother's."
- James M. Barrie
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2013, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------