DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #9 ~ SEPTEMBER
- Welcome to September & the 19th Annual Fall Fonts Fest
- Typography & Lettering Design inspiration found in vintage travel posters and tags
- Typographical Flourishes The Easy Way
- Photoshop Madness for the Fonts Festival
- The Font Rainbow
- The 19th Annual Typography, Lettering, Fonts & cool stuff Surf
- Type, Typography & Lettering Books revisited
- 4 Apps to Enhance the TV Second-Screen Experience
- Chalkboard art & typography: real skills and craft
- Transform photos into stunning, unforgettable paintings and drawings
- BWStyler creates traditional B&W looks as well as stylish new effects
- Here comes a collection of Free Fonts From 128bit Technologies
- Artist David Scott Leibowitz unveils iPhone/iPad Art Book
- Now You Can Sketch Portraits Like a Pro
- iDraw now imports/exports Adobe Photoshop!
- What do you have on Pinterest?
- TypeZilla : the super premium typography set for only $32
- &Else : News, Views & Reviews for September:
- Have a great September
Welcome new subscribers
Thanks for subscribing to receive the DTG Newsletter - mailed once per month.
* This month, we welcome new subscribers from www.DTG-Forums.com : Photoshop 911, and the Design Cafe, both at http://www.dtg-forums.com/, and look forward to answering many questions in the forums.
SEPTEMBER kicks off everyone's favorite event, the "19th Annual Fall Fonts Fest" issue! Be sure to send in your favorite fonts, typography, lettering, calligraphy or signage inspirations to share with the graphic arts community! We also invite you to join the DTG FaceBook Group and meet some fellow readers.
Last month we presented vintage Tequila labels, and unique beer labels as a way of exposing yourself to new and different design concepts. This month we follow that series with one of our favorites -- vintage labels and tags from the travel industry.
Typographical flourishes can turn ordinary type into awesome headlines or logos. Examples are all around us. In this tutorial, designer Karen Stillman shares a look at how she added flourishes to letterforms.
Here's a special edition of PHOTOSHOP MADNESS specifically for text, type, typography and fonts techniques. You'll find 1,100,000 tutorials on the web for text effects, all claiming to be the 'best' Photoshop text effects. In reality there are only a few hundred, because the vast array of several thousand replicator sites have picked up the same tutorials and lay claim to them but redirect you to another site. Some are really good, others really, really suck, like those loaded with screen spam, stalker links and pop-ups that take over your system and won't let you go!
These tutorials have been tested to be pretty good -- and you note we actually give credit to the original site, listing the site name. There are a lot more we'll be sending out over the weeks to come :
* Create a Shiny, Gold, Old World Text Effect in Photoshop
* Create a Steam Powered Typographic Treatment
* Place An Image In Text With Photoshop
* Great Gooey Photoshop Text Tutorial
* Delicious Bagels Text Effect
... and MOREPhotoshop Madness for the Fonts Festival
We were happy to run into the Font Rainbow people, who have designed this radical new font management concept for Windows users. Improving on an old interface is always welcome -- and this one puts meaning and relavance into font selection on Windows.The Font Rainbow
All year long, I've been saving up typography references for our annual fonts surf. There are now so many typography knock-off and replicator sites it is almost no longer worth the surf. With Pinterest, and any number of other specialized social networking sites with topics, you're almost sure to get an overload of visual stimulation very quickly. So, sit back and take a little time . . .
* Accidental Typographer
* Children’s Media Conference 2013
... and more: The 19th Annual Typography, Lettering, Fonts & cool stuff Surf
I ran across an article the other day that was attempting to teach when to use serif fonts in stead of sans serif. All it talked about were the little "feet" (it called them) and really didn't teach anything at all. That's the problem with people finding tutorials on the web. If they don't know any better, they will take the articles as gospel. Which could be very wrong. If you want to learn the real lesson from a pro, then don't necessarily believe everything you read on the web. We believe you will benefit greatly from these books -- we can attest, their information is correct. Type, Typography & Lettering Books revisited
So far this year, shipments of computing devices are up by 6 percent to 2.4 billion, with a far greater focus on smartphones and tablets than PCs, TechCrunch reports. So, of course there will be video . . .
Chalkboard lettering has become a real craft, and all around the world people are specializing in this craft. Some actually use chalk on a chalkboard, others use specially treated inks on blackboards for permenant lettering. Either way, it's not the easiest craft -- if you've tried it -- but it's sure in demand. Enjoy this selection of samples, and tips on finding many more
Fans of VicMan's acclaimed no-cost iPhone and iPad photo editor Pho.to Lab can now head to the App Store and download the latest version Transform photos into stunning, unforgettable paintings and drawings
The Plugin Site has rolled out another version of its BWStyler software for Windows with 25 effect types and 680 presets as well as plenty of masking options for applying the effect to only selected areas of a photo. Hopefully they'll get a Mac version going soon! BWStyler creates traditional B&W looks as well as stylish new effects
There are several new collections coming your way during this year's 19th Annual Fall Fonts Festival, and this one has some unique characters. Follow along and you'll enjoy the ride . . Here comes a collection of Free Fonts From 128bit Technologies
So you knew it was coming -- only a mater of time before someone invented the Mobile Digital Art. Well, Focal Press did it, and it is the first book of its kind. Artist David Scott Leibowitz unveils iPhone/iPad Art Book
Use your device's camera to snap a picture, then the snapshot becomes your subject. Magically "sketch" the photo's subject using one of handPaint's many tools (magic brush, neon marker, sketch pen, or magic pencil) to create hand drawn effects with photo quality precision.
iDraw is a powerful Mac graphic design and illustration application that features the unique ability to import layered Adobe Photoshop PSD files, preserving vector paths and layer style effects as editable objects. This light weight, heavy duty app is really worth a look
Well, it's really a lot of fun, zooming around on Pinterest ... although a bit of a time-waster... But I love discovering new stuff. So just send me a shout and we'll come take a look at your boards and spread the good word! What do you have on Pinterest?
GO download our FREE Ampersands Poster
GO download our FREE Helvetica Love Poster
Everybody knows that typographic designs are awesome. They’re extremely useful in both web and print designs, can be easily adapted to any creative need and look extremely beautiful when done right. You owe it to yourself to take a look at this collection -- lots of great stuff here for less the the cost of a single element! TypeZilla : the super premium typography set for only $32
&Else is where we round out the DTG News with everything else we run across that we think will benefit you the reader. Enjoy this month's issue:
* InDesign LinkOptimizer Updated for Creative Cloud
* Portraits by Steve McCurry iPad App Now Available At No Cost
* 87% of Marketers Use Video for Content Marketing Campaigns
* New PhotoBulk adds more watermarking possibilities
* The Latest Issue of VIEW Magazine is Now Available
* tap2focus Lets Users Take Refocusable Photos
... just zip on over to &Else : &Else : News, Views & Reviews for September:
Don't forget, in addition to all those juicy fonts, the Publishers' Warehouse also has a slew of new Photoshop tutorials, links, and tips for everyone. And, best of all it goes on next month as well!
Don't forget to enter your own resources so we can include them in the next issue.
SEPTEMBER is brought to you by the letter "S"
and the color GOLD
Thanks for reading...
"Any man who would letterspace blackletter
would shag sheep."
Frederic W. Goudy
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2013, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------