Adding Japanese Characters
and other font problems
Our reply to a question sent in by: Nam Ybarra
I try to add Japanese, Vietnamese characters to a layer/image but it does not work with the TYPE tool. I use these languages softwares for web, email, html and they work just fine. Is there a way, or how do I make it work with photoshop? Please advise. Thanks much! Nam - Photoshop 7, OS: Windows XP
- Ah, you've discovered one of the joys of Windows XP.
- Quit and close all running programs.
- First, find the location of the font which contains the characters you need.
- Open the control panel directly accessible through the START menu.
- Select "Copy Fonts" to Fonts Folder.
- If the fonts don't appear now, try restarting Windows.
- Working with fonts
- You need to be careful with fonts and Photoshop. Running too many fonts installed will cause not only slow-downs, but can cause some fonts not to show up at all.
Additionally, any fonts not up to Adobe's standards may be kicked out of the queue because precision programs like Photoshop running on Postscript demand better fonts.
Always be sure to set your Fonts menu to "Show Font Names in English" so that the program can use Chinese, Japanese and Korean fonts, and versions of Photoshop.
- Back to the index
- If you'd like to publish in the pages of DT&G then read the Readers Guidelines or just contact us
- Got a tip? Get a treat!
- Send your tips... if they're published, you'll get a chance to select goodies from the Designers' Bookshelf!
- Thank you for visiting
- . . . the Photoshop Tips & Tricks department of the Design & Publishing Center Don't forget: this is a reader-driven web site. We need your input and participation to continue bringing great content to Photoshop users everywhere at no charge.
High content, low noise since 1990