Photoshop Pen Tools & Vector Paths
This week we cover vector paths, the path palette, and the pen tool.
Vector Tutorial (Heathrowe) Adobe Photoshop Pen Tool (USC.edu) Pens, Paths, and the Bird (Stanford.edu) Intro to Photoshop Pen Tools (GFXlab.com) Creating relaistic icons (Pen Tool)
You are encouraged to add yours... and share the adventure! Use this handy submission form.
- Vector Tutorial (Heathrowe)
This vector tutorial gave basic step-by-step instructions on how to use the pen tool to create your own stylized piece of art from a photo. I found the instructions very helpful and informative, especially with the actual toolbar shown for each step, as well as detailed photos as examples. Posted on 10/03/2004
- Adobe Photoshop Pen Tool (USC.edu)
Though this site was very short and concise, it did a very good job of informing me of the basic uses of the pen tool. It also showed the different pen tools within the "basic pen tool" on the toolbar and the many ways each different pen tool is used. Posted on 10/03/2004
- Pens, Paths, and the Bird (Stanford.edu)
This site is an informative tutorial on the magnetic pen tool. While the pen tool has many uses, in this tutorial it is used for selection, giving a brief summary of how to use the normal pen tool. It describes using the magnetic tool to select a bird from an ocean background. The site provides both jpeg files of the bird and a photoshop file with the path around the bird already selected. It has simple language and it is easy to follow. Posted on 10/03/2004
- Intro to Photoshop Pen Tools (GFXlab.com)
This site is incredibly in-depth with the Pen tool. The author describes all of the Pen tools and each of their respective functions. He goes over all of the basics such as creating paths and anchors. But he also goes over the details such as using the Rubber Band option to see what your creating, filling the backgroung in grey to make viewing easier, holding shift key down to make straight lines, and using the command key to turn Pen tool into the direct selection tool. Posted on 10/03/2004
- Creating relaistic icons (Pen Tool)
You can create icons in photoshop in some easy steps by using the pen tool. You can draw your own free form shapes to make all kinds of designs. The pen tool also helps get the subtle little curvatures around small areas in order to make a smooth looking graphic. Posted on 10/03/2004
Return to the Tutorials Index
Photoshop Department, or the Design Center Index
Participate in your Design CenterLots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- SUBSCRIBE: to the Web Design & Review email list
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- SUBMIT: a link to a Photoshop web site