The Design & Publishing Center
to D'Lynn's Front Page
Adobe Postscript Driver for Epson Stylus Color Printers
AT LAST! A true Adobe Postscript software driver is available for some of the Epson
printers (Epson sells an emulation driver that is not genuine Adobe Postscript).
Infowave's StyleScript 3.7 works with the Epson 500, 600, 800, and 1520 printers.
(The software package also includes drivers for other printers from Canon, Apple
- Style script only supports resolutions up to 720 x 720 dpi. For the available
resolutions in various printers see page 30 in the StyleScript Manual.
- StyleScript handles Postscript type, and EPS files, but for bit mapped files
such as Adobe Photoshop, you should use the bitmap driver that came with your printer.
- When combining Postscript with bitmapped files, convent these files to EPS bitmap
files, rather than use TIFF, PICT, or Photoshop.
- To print in the Background you must have the Apple Print Monitor loaded, which
may conflict with drivers that have their own built in print monitors, such as Epson's
- You must leave the fonts that StyleScript installs in the System Font Folder.
Full set up details are in the Manual and you must follow them precisely.
StyleScript and QuarkXpress
StyleScript works with QuarkXpress 3.3.1 and later. To print out of Quark requires
special preparations not needed for the other supported applications...
- You must put the StylusColor Quark PDF file in a Folder named "PDF"
in your Quark folder. This applies to Quark 3.3.1 and 3.3.2, but it is not needed
for Quark 4.0.
- You must remove any EFI Color Extension from your Quark folder, then select "Use
PDF Screen Values" in the Page Setup, then deselect "Calibrated Color."
- To crop images you should either crop them first in another application, or create
an overlay mask in Quark.
- The gradients created in Quark will not work as well as gradients imported from
- To print in the "Scatter" mode (a diffusion dither which provides the
best looking output) in QuarkXpress 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 you must have a new Quark XTension
called Quark PS Utilities 1.2 which you can download from www.quark.com. There are
quite complex instructions for setting this up, so refer to page 60 in the StyleScript
manual. This Utility is not needed in Quark 4.0.
- The index of the StyleScript Manual only lists one of its pages providing critical
information on Quark- see pages 51, 57, and 60.
__ StyleScript 3.7 List $149. Street under $100.
Upgrades $49 direct. (Note: Most vendors still have the old manufacturer name GDT
in their data bases, rather than Infowave).
INFOWAVE -- 800 330 8233
PLEASE E-MAIL ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND INFORMATION
D'Lynn Waldron THE IMAGE PERFECTED copyright 1998
Got a hot news item or great product? Send your suggestions and leads
to D'Lynn ... don't forget: this is a reader-driven web site.
you for visiting D'Lynn Waldron's "Industry Insider" in The Design & Publishing Center , http://www.graphic-design.com/Waldron/
All content Copyright 1998 on behalf of D'Lynn Waldron, by The Design & Publishing
Center, all rights reserved. Contact The Design Center design team for web page critique, makeover clinics,
or website design, production and hosting. Products mentioned in D'Lynn's columns
are the exclusive Registered Trademarks for their respective ownders. All Rights