Web Site Critiques:
Critique: Black Hills Explorer Vacation Guide
Suzanne Fyhrie Parrott from OneWay Advertising and Design says: "Beautifully laid out" then gives tips and hints for really improving Mount Rushmore's Black Hills Explorer Vacation Guide.
Joyce Evans: Sweetens Sweet Deco
Joyce returns to the Web critique department with some good news and some bad for the Sweet Deco of Austria web site. As usual, Joyce does a superb job pin-pointing aspects on various pages of Sweet Deco.
Critique: 9th Street Rag Web Site
Bennie Taylor tackles this huge web page, and Mr. Pixelsmith comments about the colors used in this online publication for postal workers called 9th Street Rag.
Critique: K-9 Training & Kennels
Bennie Taylor points out a number of problems with colors, layout and even supplies an alternate graphic for the Rolling Meadow Kennels & Canine Training.
Critique: Doctors' Support Net
If you were a Doctor in need of counselling, would you use this site? Bennie Taylor asks the very same question as she critiques the Doctors' Support Net.
Formal Critique: Best Stock Photography?
Does this look like the "Best Stock Photography Site"? Web designer and popular author/reviewer Mike Swope files this two-page critique on the Stock Photography Now site
Site design betrays the product
It's a trend in photographers' sites that perhaps should be reevaluated! Mike Swope puts the designer's eye on the iCi et la Photography site
Formal Critique: Air Compressors
This time Bennie C. Taylor and WDR have teamed up to provide a rather extensive critique and make-over, including make-over screens of the Gajjar Air Compressor site
Top Sites Site raises questions
This critique came in as do all others, but WDR sleuths visited and found something a little different from what the reviewer found... that possibly "Top Sites" isn't top sites at all!
Sites for Schools
One of our frequent reviewers, Bennie C. Taylor turns her attention to a web site providing schools with web services... she even includes a pictorial suggestion for "Sites4Schools.co.uk"
Aromatherapy defies expectations...
Our popular reviewer Mike Swope takes a look at the Aromatherapy of Rome Candles web site calling it "Sedate and minimalist..." but if it's going to sell any product, one must ask: "but where's the product?"
G4orce gets a wake up call
This feature critique is from Beth Rogers of Rogers Web Design, reviewing the G4orce Image Factory web site. Fred says: "Yea, I felt the force alright!" and couldn't resist barging in with a brutal wake-up call to scrap this site, and a decidedly negative counter-critique.
Point / Counterpoint for Texas
Sez "No" to Real Estate Site
Bennie reviews a Real Estate site, and even provides a sample prototype page. But then Fred says "Scrap It" with an extensive look at marketing beachfront properties through a web site like the Coastal Main Real Estate page
Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down
We seldom get any two reviewers to agree on a site, but Mike Swoop says: "The American Design Awards site is tasteful, professional, near cutting-edge" Then frequent reviewer Bennie Taylor steps up to the plate and says "It may be a bit overplayed"...
Images that (don't) Rock
Reviewer Karen Cardinal brings along actual screens of suggested makeovers for the Images That Rock site... but then reviewer Robert Lattery logs in with: "this site is simple and elegant...but it doesn't rock!! Superb reports -- well worth your time!
Faulty Tower site... faultyThis is a fantastic review, D. Burns gives the critique an "American Idol" twist... finding the Faulty Tower site a bit faulty. But then the author returns and asks us to take another look after changes -- and so we file the second "Faulty Tower" review
Other new critiques include:
- Abbeymoore Manor B&B Inn gets another go: nice redesign!
- Beussery Imagery steps on its own toes
- KPL Web Design betrays its own mission
- ID Jungle taken to task for SE spamming
- Evan the E-Man needs fine-tuning
- Bingle Famliy site Okay but needs more...
- Brief Critiques and comments: Including: Beach Street Design * Maine Coast Realty * andreo photograhy * New Jersey Activity Professionals * Creative Billing Management.com and Andre Obeid - Photographer
Most popular from the Archives:
- Colin Couplans's review of Courier-Tribune Newspaper, which teaches a valuable lesson about "content over design"
- King Insurance - this "well done" site has a Flash entry page that may be a barrier to readership
- Gaucho DesignSplashy and stylish, but may need some help to establish direction and purpose.
- Heartland House Designs lacks identity, cohesion
- Kinnon Keepsakes What a neat site!
- Medical Billing & Transcription needs more clarity, less hype
- Plants of Utah Site #1 Bennie says "thumbs up!"
- Plants of Utah Site #2 Leona shares a few suggestions
- American Distractions gets simple points for improvements
- Dewd Boy Cartoon two critiques, similar reactions
- iBilt Technologies #1 stress-free surf
- iBilt Technologies #2 Good site needs fine tuning...
- Photography Site lacks style and drama
- Tomato Cages site captivates reviewer, brings thumbs up!
- Colored Pencil Guy's Art Gallery reviewed by a fan!
- BBJM Golf seems a little in the rough
- Beacon at Bangsar friendly tone with readability
- Courier-Tribune Newspaper content over design
While the lessons to be learned in the Archives are certainly worth learning, many of the original sites are either dead or vastly renovated. We will be deleting these as new ones come in...
- Alaska Bed & Breakfast... Heavy on code light on polish. Reviewed by Suzanne Fyhrie, OneWay Advertising and Design is a rare review which looks into the coding of the page as well as Meta tags. GOOD REVIEW!
- Chestnuts USA... one site, two reviews - Reviewed by both Bennie C. Taylor from Mt. Cheaha Web Design, and Leona from Wild Turtle Dreams
- GeoProducts gets two reviews! Leona says: Good site, minor problems, and Bennie Taylor says: "...good content, confusing navigation"
- Creativity Coach... found not very "creative"
- Stickman Murder Mystery Games... gets a thumbs up review
- Cambridge Custom... shows much promise
- Bauer Photography... arrival page betrays site's depth of beauty
- Us Targhee Sheep Assoc... good site, needs "calming"
- Tempest Harding... redesign of site gets the once-over
- Chihuahua Dogs... needs identity clarity, optimization.
- Airshows America (1)... tips and pointers to "professionalize"
- Airshows America (2)... clean and tidy, needs organization
- Nethermind Gallery... may be trying too hard
- Cedar Rapids site... hard work pays off
- Planetpals Earthzone... hidden stalkers may offend visitors
- 10 Commandments Site... overwhelming backgrounds!
- 2000 Travel Pictures... marred by navigation problems
- Site needs work to compete... Gallery 209
- Refine those Meta Tags... Gallery 209
- Content needs reorganization ... Alaska Gold Rush
- The Montana Real Estate site gets Good Marks from Cary Dufour of Creative Consensus
- The "Creating Good vibrations" site is all about content... a thoughtful yet curious review.
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- READ Our Writer's Guidelines: before sending articles
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- SUBMIT: a link to a Photoshop web site
- Trademarks & Legal