Hurry . . . The Sidney Hillman Foundation is accepting entries for the 2015 Hillman Prizes which honor investigative journalism and commentary in the public interest. But you've got to get nominations in . . . DEADLINE JANUARY 30 January 26, 2015
SIXTY-SECONDS BLOG: ... which is actually 60-Second Windows, or 60-Seconds.com ... Fred Showker blogs about the realms of publishing, graphics, computing, social networking, marketing, promotions, and media-- with an eye to entertaining, amazing information that will possibly make you think! Published since 1988 as syndicated articles for user group newsletters, these are vital tidbits for busy computer users that you can read in 60-seconds! Join me on FaceBook and follow along on Twitter. Or, you can meet up with Fred +FredShowker, @FredShowker
It's that time of year and just for fun we decided to get some crazy stuff for you to enjoy! The first item is a killer ... please enjoy that one for sure! ... here we go:
- Top 10 list of the outrageously expensive Valentines Gifts
- Lots of free vector starter images for Valentine's
- Adobe Illustrator Tutorial: Be My Valentine
- A Font with emotion : My Valentines Love
- Adam McIver 16 Valentines
- Happy Valentine's Day
- ... and more !
And now for something totally different . . . for this creative surf, I thought it would be fun just to snoop around and see what kind of creative projects others are doing. We found a few :
* Do-It-Yourself: Quick and Easy Valentine's Projects
* Cupid's Arrow Valentine Printable Cupcake Wrappers
* Do It Yourself Valentines Day Wreath - Posted
* Do It Yourself Pixalated Valentines Card
* Valentine's Day Cards You Make Yourself
* Do-it-yourself Valentine garland
* Happy valentines day
* Valentines shirts!
* Be my Valentine
... and more ! January 22, 2015
Sooner or later you're going to end up in that period of life when your peer group's parents are passing away, and you're dealing with wills, living wills, trusts, closing estates and so forth. When my Mom passed away we had no keys, no passwords and no way to close her online life other than certified letters and Fed-ex overnight packs. Four years later, there are still some unresolved. Have you considered your personal, digital exit plan? If you don't have a digital will, you'd better read this article and get one before it's too late. December 29, 2014
Mainstream news and online sharing stimulates conversations for some of the most ‘talked about’ research articles this year. Alternative metrics provider Altmetric LLP has looked at the top 100 academic papers receiving the most online attention in 2014 – and the conversations happening around them. December 16, 2014
Here we go . . . the LAST Creative Tidbits column for 2014. Say goodbye to the year, and get yourself ready to ramp up in January. A lot happened in the year, and you can go back and find more than twenty Creative columns in 2014. Have fun earning from these:
- The New Pantone 'Color of the Year' for 2015 is Pantone 18-1438 Marsala
- A New Book Examines the History of Graphic Design in California
- Royal College of Art releases GraphicsRCA: Fifty Years book
- interview with illustrator and designer jean jullien
- Artists launch street sculpture exhibit program
- Brewing up a new identity for Coffee Officina
- Illustrator is inspired by the Westcountry
- Buy A Logo - 10 Tips For Better Design
- Ten Questions for: Fernando Gutiérrez
- ... and more!
We never seem to slow down, but in many situations the creative spirit needs 'rest' -- so sit down and take it easy while you go through this week's creative tidbits. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Looking at the artwork of the Criterion Collection
- The Colorful History of California Graphic Design
- Design App is Apple's App of the Year runner-up
- A Photo Exhibit That Examines Climate Change
- Inside the Cinelli and Columbus factories
- How big data is revolutionizing design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Graphic Design
- How To Design A Killer Gig Poster
- Why Aren’t You Creative?
- ... and more! December 10, 2014
Getting ready to wrap up the year opens the slow season. However creativity for designers, illustrators, painters, photographers, typographers and anyone involved in the creative processes, or visual communications will not slow down. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Polk State Was a Beginning, and Without It, I Wouldn’t Be Where I am Today
- 5 Easy Ways To Create A Brilliant Background For Your LinkedIn Profile
- This Graphic Translates Web Design Feedback into Plain English
- LEGO BRICK: pinhole camera snaps tiny thumbnail-sized 'photos'
- I am the Jackie Robinson of Hip Hop Graphic Design!
- How optical illusions trick your brain
- Art Department Faculty Work Featured at the Kellogg Gallery
- Cincinnati Design Awards honors wide range of local projects
- ... and more!
- Paul McCartney and Nick Cave contribute hand drawn artwork for Alzheimer's Society
- $50 Discount to HOW Design Live Conference in Chicago, May 2015
- The 5 most common design mistakes in digital signage
- What deserves Cincy’s ‘Razzies’ of design?
- Translating print skills to Web design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Logo Design
- ... and more!
As you get ready for 2015, some things you may want focus on is developing your publishing strategy to run with the winners! We've come a long way and publishing today takes some careful construction and on-time delivery. C'mon and follow along as we follow publishing channels
 The 10% digital-to-print rule: what success with digital magazines looks like
 Google Loves Print: Guidelines Tell Us So
 The future of digital publishing: Going back to hieroglyphics
 Print gets their attention; digital brings it to life
 From BBC to BuzzFeed: Lessons in mobile publishing
 The 100-to-1 rule: Creating the best headlines
-- and more ... November 25, 2014