What if you enlist the talents of world-class graphic designers with the Hellman-Hammett program for aiding writers to address some of the toughest human rights issues around the world in a magazine? HUMAN is the publication, and this issue is designed by Milton Glaser and Walter Bernard! May 25, 2015
SIXTY-SECONDS BLOG: ... which is actually 60-Second Windows, or 60-Seconds.com ... Fred Showker blogs about the realms of publishing, graphics, computing, social networking, marketing, promotions, and media-- with an eye to entertaining, amazing information that will possibly make you think! Published since 1988 as syndicated articles for user group newsletters, these are vital tidbits for busy computer users that you can read in 60-seconds! Join me on FaceBook and follow along on Twitter. Or, you can meet up with Fred +FredShowker, @FredShowker
Summer is around the corner ... soon you'll have those opportunities to hook into your readers social streams with your agenda. What? You don't have an agenda? You don't have your strategy yet? Well, you'd better get moving! Read these leads we've gleaned from the recent social media press and you'll be much better informed:
- Creating the perfect social media strategy for your company
- Infographic: Why you should be marketing with social media
- 8 Social Media Mistakes That Are Killing Your Brand
- Digital News Readership Continues to Gain New Ground
- How To Use Social Media To Boost Your SEO Campaign
- How Nonprofits Can Create Real-Time Marketing
- People are the New Social Channel
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 25, #05 ~ May
- May is all about Design Graduation
- Photoshop Madness : Spring color palettes, flowers and mothers
- Creative Tidbits #191: inspiration, typography, gallery, Paul Rand
- Photoshop Tutorial : Create a Geometric Wallpaper in Photoshop
- An extraordinary design conference on type & typography comes to New York City
- 60-Seconds #321: Google's Mobilegeddon! REPENT or ye shall surely perish!
- 60-Seconds #322 : I got trapped by Google Adsense & false advertising
- GraphicConverter rises to yet greater heights with the latest upgrade from Lemke Software
- Advertising Update : broadcast vs. print, Sensory Marketing, Facebook
- Social Media Update : The wires and wireless are buzzing with the next big thing
- Transform the Photos You Have into the Images You Want
- Could Pixelmator Watercolor Painting Technology be the one that replaces Photoshop?
- PaintCode 2.3 adds over 15 new features, including SVG export
- iOS Photo Booth App - SnapBooth Offers Major New Features
- Web Design Update: Mobilegeddon, Amorality, Uber, SEO, Web trends and more!
- Recreate the magic of instant Polaroid printing
- JUNE: Creative SURF
- Mother's Day & Graduation
May 1, 2015
Do you remember when Google came out with Penguin, how they would penalize any site with 'false' links? Then all this talk about mobilegeddon, and how Google has become the internet police and the ministry of information -- all about 'honesty' on the web. Google's "honesty" took a big hit when I wanted to contact a Tupperware sales representative in my own town. But, the search results were the last thing I expected -- and certainly the last thing I wanted. April 28, 2015
Social media is hotter than ever! With news of streaming video from Twitter and Facebook, along with some disturbances with Linkedin, every graphic designer needs to stay on top of the social media game. Here are some interesting stories we bookmarked recently -- good enough to pass along to you:
- Should digital magazine covers be designed different from print?
- Balancing art and science to track campaign performance
- 8 indispensable tools every content writer needs
- Why I Won't Accept Your Linkedin Invitation
- Top 5 Advantages Of Email Marketing
- Managing your online reputation
#321: Google smites millions of the unwashed, unmobile at Mobilegeddon! REPENT or ye shall surely perish!
I've been getting email from web designers and ISPs from India to Indianapolis, like late night TV evangelists with bad hairdos, counting down to what they are calling the Mobilegeddon. The call to arms is rolling out : judgment day is tomorrow, April 21. It's so compelling -- blogs are humming, web masters are panicking and there's even a hashtag #mobilegeddon. I just had to do some research and find out why the whole web world is once again bowing down to the latest scriptures of Google. April 20, 2015
The spring represents some special interests for graphic designers -- end of school, beginning of the summer buy and travel wave. Here are some starters to get your creative juices flowing :
- Pentagram's New School Rebrand: Best Thing Ever Or Unbearable Monstrosity?
- Perfect archives for collage artists, designers and collectors
- "Happy Town" by Katsumi Tamura wins Golden A' Design Award
- New Photography Acquisitions at Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- TypeTalk: How Good Typography Can Help Your Job Search
- UVU arts grads present final projects showcase
- Vordik Designer Spotlight: Damian Watracz
- Exhibit shows art of design legend
- Putting a typeface to the name
- ... and more !
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 25, #04 ~ April Here we are, moving forward into April, and part two of our Designing Women special. As always have a great month, and keep in touch . . .
- 20th Annual Designing Women Celebration Three: New finds, old friends
- 20th Annual Designing Women Celebration Four: Pins, needles, pens, paints and passion
- 60-Seconds #320 : Should history be erased? Should Google erase memories if they're out of date?
- Vintage printing effects with this new Photoshop plug-in Permanent Press
- Creative Tidbits #189: Oscars, Light Sabers and Football Helmets
- Creative Tidbits #190: Hip-hoppers, decades, Instagram, textures and more
- Marketing Update : Twitter, Facebook, Direct Mail, Press Releases, Video and more
- Advertising Update : Brand-Protection, cookies, digital ads, ad strategy
- Marketing Update : Click-through, Customers, Mobile, Email, PR Pros and more
- Marketing Update : March Marketing Madness
- Create a Whole New World of Video with Red Giant Universe VFX
- Know how to fold? Use the Folding Genius AI Version 2 for Mac and Win
- Graphic Design App Candy Apple Updated with more WOW features!
- & Else : News, Views and Reviews from the News Department
- April is brought to you by
- Looking ahead: May, June July
April 1, 2015
This week's surf was a lot of fun. We got Kraft of craft and Murphy's law! We met designers who make movies and veteran skateboarding designers! So when we say "Roll" with the 20th Annual Designing Women edition -- that could be very literal :
- Verena Michelitsch : New Twist, Old design problems
- Murphy's Law : if it can be fabulous, Kelly does it
- Martina : an eye for color, shape, style and space
- Eugenia Loli motion in collage... and film
- Nomoco : watercolor magician
- The true craft of Kraft
- Hire a Skate Mom!
- and more to come!
When I saw the series of photos shot across 4 decades I knew this was going to be a good edition of Creative Tidbits! Hope you enjoy this edition -- and if you can guess all those circle movie posters, let me know!
- Getting Closer to the California Print Junkie Who Designed Jay Z's "Holy Grail"
- Astonishing series of photographs of four sisters shot every year for 40 years
- Could Graphic Design Help People Better Relate To Each Other?
- Interview : My Instagram: Lauren O'Neil
- Dust & Noise Overlay Textures
- Can you name the movie?