As you know -- things aren't always the way they seem! There are a lot of really down-to-earth lessons our educational system seems to be missing these days in favor of more lofty, perhaps unnecessary, lessons. Today, John McWade sent me a brain teaser that clearly illustrates this point... October 21, 2013
SIXTY-SECONDS BLOG: ... which is actually 60-Second Windows, or 60-Seconds.com ... Fred Showker blogs about the realms of publishing, graphics, computing, social networking, marketing, promotions, and media-- with an eye to entertaining, amazing information that will possibly make you think! Published since 1988 as syndicated articles for user group newsletters, these are vital tidbits for busy computer users that you can read in 60-seconds! Join me on FaceBook and follow along on Twitter. Or, you can meet up with Fred +FredShowker, @FredShowker
Yes, it's fall fonts fest carry over into October, we're finding some great stuff to share. Send in your creative ideas for the holidays this month! Here we go . . .
* Cutting, carving, etching, gilding designs into glass
* Lights and Glamor mark this design studio's success
* A Design Studio Called Number 17, A Very Short List
* Virus Fonts express the spirit of the age . . .
* Barnbrook -- Studio 12 . . . spells "WOW"
* OMG it's Oliver Munday
... and more ! October 16, 2013
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #10 ~ October
* October: Fall Fonts Festival
* Creative Graphic Design: Fonts Fest, Design for the Homeless, Jobs in Print
* Photoshop Madness for High-End Photo Retouching & HDR techniques
* Photoshop Madness : Even MORE Text Effects
* Typography & Lettering inspiration - vintage travel posters and tags TWO
* Graphic design logos, branding and logotype design training for young designers
* Type, Fonts, & Lettering from the Blue Pencil to the London Underground
* The Surf Goes On : Web Fonts, Font Deck, and Sewing Type
* The Next Type, Fonts, Lettering & cool stuff Surf
* Type, Fonts, & Lettering fat and happy, even Comic Sans
* Bringing to life a world-wide zombie invasion 'World War Z'
* DTG Picks : Vector Drawing Apps for the Mac
* Pioneers Festival to Gather World's Brightest Entrepreneurs
* The iPad for Photographers: Master the Newest Tool in your Camera Bag
* Take Great Photos with Your iPad
* One of my treasured resources is Vector Stock
* It's a Rainbow! No, it's FontRainbow
* Get ready for the Holiday Season... October 1, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest time again, but before we get into the dozens of items we have for the festival, we're still tracking creative learning in this edition . . .
* New initiative from Quadrant2Design, to cut the cost of graphic design to Zero
* How *Photoshop Brushes* Helps People Develop Their Graphic Design Skills
* 99Designs launches Swiftly: where a design change is $15 an hour
* Graphic design students win north american awards competition
* Design students create posters to tackle loan shark problem
* Minimal Sneaker Study | Jack Stocker’s Nike Exhibit
* Can Good Graphic Design Help The Homeless?
* Five Best Jobs for Those in Print Design
* Varun Nunkoo – Passion, dream and talent
* Summer shirts from Cuckoos Nest
... and more ! September 30, 2013
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #9 ~ SEPTEMBER
* Welcome to September & the 19th Annual Fall Fonts Fest
* Typography & Lettering Design inspiration found in vintage travel posters and tags
* Typographical Flourishes The Easy Way
* Photoshop Madness for the Fonts Festival
* The Font Rainbow
* The 19th Annual Typography, Lettering, Fonts & cool stuff Surf
* Type, Typography & Lettering Books revisited
* 4 Apps to Enhance the TV Second-Screen Experience
* Chalkboard art & typography: real skills and craft
* Transform photos into stunning, unforgettable paintings and drawings
* BWStyler creates traditional B&W looks as well as stylish new effects
* Here comes a collection of Free Fonts From 128bit Technologies
* Artist David Scott Leibowitz unveils iPhone/iPad Art Book
* Now You Can Sketch Portraits Like a Pro
* iDraw now imports/exports Adobe Photoshop!
* What do you have on Pinterest?
* TypeZilla : the super premium typography set for only $32
* &Else : News, Views & Reviews for September September 1, 2013
As the iPad matures into the market and more people are using tablets, I'm having a lot of fun and inspiration with digital magazines. I always loved printed magazines, so now I can enjoy many more on my iPad. August 19, 2013
It's back to (Design) School time again, and we're touching on hundreds of different learning opportunities this month, so hang on to your hats and follow along . . .
* Learning lessons of design and delivering the message
* Lots and lots of portraits on DeviantArt.com . . .
* Portfolio Help from Adobe CS6
* If Facebook Had Designers
* How to learn Photoshop
* A-Z of Unusual Words
... and more ! August 1, 2013
I know that many of you are musicians or involved with audio production in some form or another. These apps are the ultimate for anyone even slightly interested in music . . . Jordan Rudess is the icon of the biz! Enjoy . . .
* Immerse yourself in the wonders of a visual/audio experience like no other!
* SampleWiz inputs, outputs, generates, samples simultaneously
* MorphWiz is the second app to bear the Jordan Rudess name
* Tachyon - unique musical expressive power for iPad
* Aurora Sound Studio makes great music on your iPad
* Geo Synthesizer : all that is good in synth
Rock on, baby! July 28, 2013
In my pr and news feeds, the latest from the Association of Media & Publishing sent me an article called : Magazine Apps: Why So Bloated? The pad revolution is probably going to be the single savior of the publishing industry. Er, uh, maybe not. June 14, 2013