We love to see great ideas pop up, and we love passing them along to readers! A big THANKS goes out to our good friend Sandy Hibbard for sharing this wonderful and timely marketing tip with DTG readers. There's no better time than today -- right now -- to push your message in a friendly way. Sandy has the idea ... December 13, 2013
SIXTY-SECONDS BLOG: ... which is actually 60-Second Windows, or 60-Seconds.com ... Fred Showker blogs about the realms of publishing, graphics, computing, social networking, marketing, promotions, and media-- with an eye to entertaining, amazing information that will possibly make you think! Published since 1988 as syndicated articles for user group newsletters, these are vital tidbits for busy computer users that you can read in 60-seconds! Join me on FaceBook and follow along on Twitter. Or, you can meet up with Fred +FredShowker, @FredShowker
You've probably seen the design community cult-movement "No SPEC" against spec-work, or seen thousands of complaints from graphic designers about the hack logo sites proliferating online these days. Today I got a press release, for DTG, from "48-hour Logos" a crowd sourcing site offering "contests" for designing logos. I've provided reference links below, but first, consider this December 11, 2013
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #12 ~ December
- December: Let the holidays begin...
- Happy Feet Text Effect Illustrator & Photoshop Tutorial
- Photoshop Holiday Colorization, Retouching and Tips & Tricks Madness
- 60-Seconds 302: Should we colorize history?
- Photoshop Colorization Madness - Retouching, Tips & Tricks
- Holiday Season Retail Therapy in Illustrations from Richard Solomon
- Vintage Holiday Vignettes copyright free images and resource art on CD-ROM
- Vintage Greeting Cards offer rich design inspiration
- Vintage Holiday Photoshop Brushes & Creative Vector Tools
- Vintage Holiday Vector Clip Art and Embroidery Designs
- Vintage Thanksgiving Art, Crafts Clip & Coloring Pages
- Vintage Thanksgiving Vignettes for Designers and Illustrators
- What is the best approach to designing a website that clients can edit?
- Top-level domains could become important factor in ranking, online brand visibility
- Tiffen Makes Its Award-Winning Photo Apps Available for iOS 7
- Ashlar-Vellum releases Cobalt v8 Solo and Xenon v8 Solo for Mac/Windows
- Entries flood for the Nanjing 2014 Olympic Medal Design Competition
- Out with 2013, in with 2014
December 1, 2013
Our good friend Chuck Green recently made a post to Facebook about the digital colorization of historical photographs. His complaint was followed by a ponderous tome of learned comments from both sides of the isle. An alarm went off in my head. I'm thinking; hey, everyone already knows about that -- but then, do they? So I went digging for all the "Digital Ethics" information that I've written about since the late 1980s and discovered -- OMG: over a decade has gone by! These "newbies" could very well not be informed about Digital Ethics. November 13, 2013
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #11 ~ November, 2013
01 November: Design Holidays
02 Illustrator and Photoshop Colorful Balls Text Effect for the holidays or any time
03 Photoshop Madness High-End Photo Retouching, Tips & Tricks
04 Photoshop Tutorial : misunderstood emboss and contour now made easy!
05 Creative Graphic Design: video of a yolk, a designer's view, and skinhead culture
06 Learning the art of Branding, design method, planning, presenting and business innovation
07 Adobe Creative Inspiration from celebrities like Deke McClelland and Paula Scher
08 Marketing Update : infographics, mobile mindsets, digital engagement and more
09 Creative Graphic Design: Infographics, Typepedia, and font anatomy
10 Marketing Update : Direct marketing, social media, Infographics and Retargeting
11 301 60-Seconds : Quick, figure this out
12 Creative Graphic Design: Numbers, studios, gallery and virus fonts
13 Marketing Update : Going Social, jumping infographics, push mobile, content is king
14 What do Hand-Held 3D Scanning, Russia and Napoleon have in common?
15 Employee wellbeing influences corporate reputation in social media
16 Getting Schooled in the New Industry Buzzword: Content Marketing
17 To our Friends and Suporters
18 HAPPY HOLIDAYS November and December November 1, 2013
The creative inspiration quest continues and edition features two videos along with some extraordinary illustration and a conversation with a designer about the new iPhone interface ... here we go:
* PaperSpecs Reveals the Trials and Triumphs of Designing Print Projects
* Brobesity? 3-D Avatars Of The Average Joe Are A Hefty Dose Of Reality
* Several iOS 7 Design Choices Criticized By Experienced Designer
* Christoph Niemann: Illustrator, Graphic Designer
* Skinhead culture in graphic design
* Back to the drawing board
... and more ! October 28, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest moving toward November with some special insights into the creative spirit, and a visit to one of the most important studios of our time! Send in your creative ideas for the holidays this month! Here we go . . .
* Infographic: Just How Dangerous Is The Dye In Your Food?
* Smart people do smart things ... Jason Santa Maria
* Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design
* Can graphic design make feminism cool?
* Russia's Top 20 Designers Today
* Learn: Anatomy of a Typeface
... and more ! October 24, 2013
As you know -- things aren't always the way they seem! There are a lot of really down-to-earth lessons our educational system seems to be missing these days in favor of more lofty, perhaps unnecessary, lessons. Today, John McWade sent me a brain teaser that clearly illustrates this point... October 21, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest carry over into October, we're finding some great stuff to share. Send in your creative ideas for the holidays this month! Here we go . . .
* Cutting, carving, etching, gilding designs into glass
* Lights and Glamor mark this design studio's success
* A Design Studio Called Number 17, A Very Short List
* Virus Fonts express the spirit of the age . . .
* Barnbrook -- Studio 12 . . . spells "WOW"
* OMG it's Oliver Munday
... and more ! October 16, 2013
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #10 ~ October
* October: Fall Fonts Festival
* Creative Graphic Design: Fonts Fest, Design for the Homeless, Jobs in Print
* Photoshop Madness for High-End Photo Retouching & HDR techniques
* Photoshop Madness : Even MORE Text Effects
* Typography & Lettering inspiration - vintage travel posters and tags TWO
* Graphic design logos, branding and logotype design training for young designers
* Type, Fonts, & Lettering from the Blue Pencil to the London Underground
* The Surf Goes On : Web Fonts, Font Deck, and Sewing Type
* The Next Type, Fonts, Lettering & cool stuff Surf
* Type, Fonts, & Lettering fat and happy, even Comic Sans
* Bringing to life a world-wide zombie invasion 'World War Z'
* DTG Picks : Vector Drawing Apps for the Mac
* Pioneers Festival to Gather World's Brightest Entrepreneurs
* The iPad for Photographers: Master the Newest Tool in your Camera Bag
* Take Great Photos with Your iPad
* One of my treasured resources is Vector Stock
* It's a Rainbow! No, it's FontRainbow
* Get ready for the Holiday Season... October 1, 2013