If you think you've got the creative block, don't think you're alone. We all get it, and we all have to break it. I've been doing this for nearly half a century. During my seminar days, the creative block was one of the most popular questions from attendees. "Fred, how do you get creative ideas?" ... "How can I break writer's block?" Everyone has his or her favorites. These have proven over the years to work... try'em out next time you're stuck for a story, a drawing, and ad concept or anytime you need a creative jumpstart. February 24, 2016
SIXTY-SECONDS BLOG: ... which is actually 60-Second Windows, or 60-Seconds.com ... Fred Showker blogs about the realms of publishing, graphics, computing, social networking, marketing, promotions, and media-- with an eye to entertaining, amazing information that will possibly make you think! Published since 1988 as syndicated articles for user group newsletters, these are vital tidbits for busy computer users that you can read in 60-seconds! Join me on FaceBook and follow along on Twitter. Or, you can meet up with Fred +FredShowker, @FredShowker
Hamilton Wood Type and UW-Madison Libraries partner to preserve and expand access to Silver Buckle Press
The new year will usher in a new collaboration aimed at advancing the Wisconsin Idea and preserving a treasured piece of University of Wisconsin–Madison history. Beginning in January, the UW–Madison Libraries launch a partnership with Hamilton Wood Type & Printing Museum to house and care for the Libraries’ historic Silver Buckle Press and its collection. February 11, 2016
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 26, #2 ~ February
Graphic designers, web designers, illustrators, typographers, digital artists and everyone in the creative fields around here are celebrting Presidents, and Black History Month in the cold, cold winter
- February: In search of Martin Luther King Jr.
- 26th year of DT&G --- did you miss me ?
- Creative Tidbits #201: Trump, Iranian type, Adobe Post, classic signs and more
- In search of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Vintage Valentine's Cuts copyright free clip art on CD-ROM
- 60-Seconds #328 : Why do cybercrime spam cartels keep sending the same, tired old spam?
- Ad Blockers : people finally had enough and now see no ads! Can you blame them?
- 60-Seconds #327 : Who establishes the logo design trends for 2016?
- Awesome Steampunk photo manipulations and photo-realistic illustrations!
- Creative Tidbits #202: anti-drug drive posters, Bikinis, Photoshop Action and more
- Awesome Photographic modifications and manipulations that defy reality
- Creative coloring apps for designers and illustrators of all ages
- Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time ... inspiration for artists and visionaries
- A New Year and A New Look: McDonald's Global Packaging Launches In Style
- WATCH for upcoming changes in the sites and in the editorial slant
And now for something totally different . . . for this creative surf, I thought it would be fun just to snoop around and see what kind of creative projects others are doing. We found a few :
* Do-It-Yourself: Quick and Easy Valentine's Projects
* Cupid's Arrow Valentine Printable Cupcake Wrappers
* Do It Yourself Valentines Day Wreath - Posted
* Do It Yourself Pixalated Valentines Card
* Valentine's Day Cards You Make Yourself
* Do-it-yourself Valentine garland
* Happy valentines day
* Valentines shirts!
* Be my Valentine
... and more ! January 26, 2016
As many of you already know, I've been a volunteer spam fighter since February 15th, 1999. I had a passion about helping keep the Internet clean since developing forums for GEnie, eWorld and America Online back in the 1980s. Now my work goes on through Knujon.com, Spamcop.net and SafeNetting.com. We've all agreed that one of the real pains of the online world is someone trying to sell you something -- particularly if the solicitation is false, illegal, or damaging in some way. But through the last several years, ugly "sex enhancement" spam solicitation had diminished. Or so I thought. January 20, 2016
So, this is the issue where we look at the advertising trends predictions. I guess you may have already seen my 60-Seconds on Logo Design Trends, so you know how I feel about predicting trends. So let's see what the industry is up to now, and what you should be aware of if you're involved in any form of advertising
- Are Digital Media Budgets Meeting Industry Viewability Standards?
- Why Ad Tech Is the Worst Thing That Ever Happened to Advertising
- Marketers Predict Hottest Trends in Super Bowl 2016 Advertising
- 13 Media and Advertising ‘Trends’ in 2015 That Never Happened
- 10 Behavioral Trends Guiding Advertising In 2016
- RIP millennials: Marketing will be 'age agnostic'
- Are GIFs the future of advertising
- Digital media trends for 2016
We have been following this issue since last November -- and being one of the first sites to begin the cruisade against online advertising back in the 1990s, we're delighted it's finally getting some public notice. But the industry is fighting back. I posted this one yesterday on UGNN ... Forbes, ad blockers and malware … another warning! Just because they're a big name, doesn't mean they have scruples. Here's the rest of the news January 19, 2016
Somebody posted their 'logo design trends for 2016' to a LinkedIN design group, so I decided to follow it. Much to my surprise, they talked about design techniques that have always been in use, and never go out of style. Needless to say, I was intriqued. Who really decides what the logo design trends for 2016 really are? I went on the quest. January 13, 2016
There are many, many fans of steampunk style which is a large subgenre of science fiction and fantasy. These images have been inspired by technology and aesthetic designs from the 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery ~ set in an Art Nouveau era as an alternate history. Lots of readers saw our Steampunk Spectacular from last Halloween and send in their examples January 12, 2016
Rolling into a new year of Creative Tidbits, we're finding these great discoveries and enjoying the creative experience around every corner! Remember, we're always looking for your suggestions and tips for cool stuff. Enjoy this edition of Creative Tidbits January 5, 2016