This is not necessarily a graphic design tool, but surely with over 3,000 icons to communicate with you can do some creative brainstorming. This app for your iPhone gives you the power of infographics on the fly, using icons. November 18, 2016
THE BUSINESS DEPARTMENT for graphic designers and creatives, including: management, marketing, promotion, accounting, bidding, legal issues, copyright and operating your creative business for maximum profitability.
Is your business profitable?
SHARE YOUR EXPERTISE: publish your expertise here
CAUTION : off-site links may arrive at web site using stalker links, tracking code or malvertising. Use an ad blocker.
USE FIREFOX 'READER' mode and avoid screen spam and malvertising.
The client hands you a stack of printed material to digest in the next project. What do you do? The more work you can get done for you, the better you'll be, right? Typing is one chore that really hasn't been innovated. Now, OCRWizard 4.0, optical character recognition (OCR) and PDF document conversion application for macOS could relieve you of at least some of those chores. OCRWizard converts any PDF, scanned documents, or image files (including the picture of business card) into searchable PDF, Word, Pages, HTML, Excel, Keynote, and ePub, etc. on Mac. November 16, 2016
As a graphic designer or creative specialist, whether employed, or freelance, how do you charge for your services? There have been many articles, probably hundreds, and many books written about running a creative business. It all really boils down to how much it costs you to do business, how much you want to make, and how well your market supports your talent and price level. That's simple enough. Yet the question on the lips of many creatives is not necessarily how much to charge, but how to charge it. October 19, 2016
In this edition of our publishing update we look at some deep journalism vehicles as well as sponsoring content and academic publishing. Don't forget that digital publishing is only a part of the picture -- the print publishing industry is robust and doing well!
- How millennials interact with long-form journalism on mobile devices
- Editorial and Sales Can Collaborate to Maximize Revenue
- Is Your Publishing Toolkit As Strong As It Can Be?
- Programmatic Publishing: Repurposing Ad Tech
- Sponsored Content And Editorial Integrity
- Academic Publishing Is All About Status
- Rekindling the Passion for Print
- Counteracting Content Shock
It's been some time since our last publishing update. Sorry! But seriously, Don't Print The Obituary For The Printing Industry Just Yet! The printing and print publishing industry has never really gone out of style, nor has it slacked off. Yes, it has changed, but the digital age has taken over -- there's a lot of graphic design, typography, photography and illustration still being printed with ink on paper! The graphic design community is still about 80% occupied by print. This is the Publishing Update of the Design & Publishing Center, so we'll consider all realms of publishing! Jump on board . . .
- To Perfect Bind or Saddle Stitch — That is the Question
- 3 kinds of content that are killing digital publishing
- The Importance of Longform Content for Your Website
- Why ‘Easy’ Publishing Solutions Hardly Ever Are
- How digital publishers measure their influence
- Think You'll Outsource Your Content Marketing?
- A Script to Show Options for Placed Files
We talk about marketing, pr and advertising and while they are closely related, they each serve a distinctive function. Both pr and advertising come under the marketing banner -- and if your marketing strategy is on point, then the other two will follow. But as Leo Burnet once said, advertising without a marketing plan is empty space. Maybe that's true, but as the world becomes more complicated, marketing is getting more and more difficult. This week's update hopes to shed some light on your marketing strategy :
- Unblock Those Ads With These Five Compelling Advertising Strategies
- 8 Food Marketing Trends You Need to Know About Right Now
- How to increase customers and business via direct mail
- Tomorrow's trends in leading edge creativity today
- How Does Pinterest Make Money?
Beware, all of these sites employ screen spam. Some have pop-up ad splash screens and stalker links. Be careful where you click August 22, 2016
Isn't it funny that our profession is built so heavily on advertising yet I've become such a staunch advocate against it. There's a point at which advertising has become divisive and sinister. The advertising industry in their unquenchable thirst for revenue has given the store away and are making too much money to ever become honorable again.
Advertising is a form of communication between two entities. When one side of the conversation becomes deceptive and fallacious, then it's time to end the conversation and part company. The problem is, the industry has become so good at hiding their malicious intent, few web surfers are aware of the dangers. As graphic designers, we take pride in the visual storytelling and persuasion on behalf of our clients -- but graphic design has very, very little to do with advertising on the web. Join me in the fight against malicious advertising ... hooray for ad blockers! August 16, 2016
The school start season is behind us, and soon we'll be rushing into the holiday buy season and most market / advertising plans are about to burst into full steam -- if they haven't already. Ad blockers have taught the rude ad hucksters a few lessons, so now everyone's talking native ads. Funny how things cycle around -- we're advocated native advertising from the very beginning! If it wasn't so miserable, it would be funny. Enjoy this week's advertising / marketing update . . .
- Stand Out by Blending In: Making Native Advertising Work on Mobile
- Small agencies have yet to embrace programmatic advertising
- Top 4 Tips For Combining Native and Programmatic
- All Hail the Rise of Native Advertising
- Paid Advertising Dominates Local SERPs
The summer is almost over, and most areas have already begun concentrating on back to school, and maybe even the holidays! But social media like LinkedIN, Facebook, Tumblr and others are hooked on the U.S. Elections with a cesspool of vile interactions. We'll be fortunate when all that is over, so that's why I am avoiding it. I figure you're seeing enough of that garbage, the Design Center doesn't have to add more . . . please have a great time this week:
- Yes, There Is a Place for Social Media Marketing in Your Medical Practice
- Fast food companies use social networking sites to target children
- Yes, Serious Academics Should Absolutely Use Social Media
- How to Monitor Social Media in 20 Minutes Per Day
- Social media's 'wild west'
In these days of online transactions, there is a real need for this. Automaticard provides users with a simple and easy way to manage all of the automatic charges made on their credit cards, as well as quickly find account/contact numbers if their credit cards are lost or stolen. July 29, 2016
- 1 of 31