Most graphic design projects are singular and session based. However, once you evolve into projects that require many sub-contractors, or venders to praticipat, and multiple creative resources, you can quickly get behind the 8-ball and lose a pile of money. The one thing that will keep your profits in tact is careful planning and billing. We used to do this on a chalkboard -- but now you can do it digitally . . . . May 29, 2015
THE BUSINESS DEPARTMENT for graphic designers and creatives, including: management, marketing, promotion, accounting, bidding, legal issues, copyright and operating your creative business for maximum profitability.
Is your business profitable? We'll try to help!
BOOK OF THE MONTH : Talent is Not Enough: Business Secrets for DesignersJoin our FaceBook Group and follow us on Twitter
We get calls all the time from users saying their Mac has slowed down to a snail's pace and they don't know what to do. They have a hundred files on the desktop and they've been working on the same illustrator and Photoshop files over and over for a month. What do you do? May 28, 2015
Although PenPower Inc. is calling this a "first-of-its kind" pen scanner, we had digital pens to review back in 2004. Just put the last one in the dumpster. But the WorldPenScan leverages today's technology with the ability to scan, recognize and translate multiple languages as well as barcodes and bank fonts. If you gather information, you're going to want a look at this. May 27, 2015
When you need hands-off information gathering, nothing really matches the utility of a good voice recorder. Audio Notebook Pocket is an integrated voice recorder and notebook you can use for all kinds of notes -- the more you use it, the more you'll love it! May 26, 2015
Sooner or later everyone needs to take a peek at what's going on down in that hard drive... or at least they should. There have been a lot of tools come along, but not so good recently until now. Disk Cartography maps the drive so you can manage it! May 21, 2015
Did you remember Mothers' day in your media plans? Never pass up the opportunity to market and spread the PR of your clients. Spring is a fun and lucritive season as people come out of the winter doldrums and begin shopping again. Be on your toes ... May 13, 2015
Rolling into the summer vacation season, a lot of markets will be picking up that special book, magazine or whitepaper to take along on the trip. You're clients will be wanting to put their best foot forwared. We found these to be excellent reads, and even included some design to go along . . .
- What is a magazine? Media reporters often see the web as the answer
- The case for, and against, integrated print-digital newsrooms
- The Brutally Honest Truth about Ghostwriting
- 5 Truths of Audience Monetization
- Common print design mistakes
Advertising Update : broadcast vs. print, Sensory Marketing, Facebook will screw you, reader attention, not clicks
The ad industry has been screwing their clients ever since the first online ad was served in 1995. The ad industry prostituted itself so badly they got the cost of ads to almost nothing or free. So to back peddal, they've had to devise all kinds of contorted ripps to make money while still sticking it to the publishers. All that is about to get worse as they bring in attention advertising.
- Broadcasters appear to have won -- as newspapers see few gains in ad spending
- Sensory Marketing Is the Next Frontier in Mobile Advertising
- Why native advertising won't overtake traditional ads -- yet
- Selling advertisers on reader attention, not clicks
- How Facebook plans to control digital advertising
- . . . and more!
We've screamed through the winter and spring is rolling by -- next thing you know it will be summer and back to school time! Your spring marketing sense needs to focus on the coming close of schools, graduation and summer vacations. Your clients should be ready to market strong!
- Five Questions to Help You Decide Whether You Need a Brand-Protection Tool
- Will Facebook force advertisers to forget about tracking cookies?
- A new pricing scheme will change how digital ads are sold
- Programmatic buys 'make sense' for industry
- Planning your next ad strategy
- . . . and more!
April, May, Mother's Day, and the spring launch into Summer will offer an array of marketing opportunities. Tie in with any number of motifs from family to vacation and travel. But first, get your online social networking act together :
- How the latest moves by Twitter and Facebook help you market your organization
- 4 reasons to use direct mail marketing instead of email marketing
- The 8 golden rules of writing great press releases
- The rapid rise of video in content marketing
- 6 things great PR campaigns have in common
- 5 priorities for email marketing in 2015
- . . . and more