s we highlighted in the Gallery for the Fall Fonts Fest, chalk art is a growing craze that really takes a lot of talent. Well, now there's a very cool App for Macintosh and Windows that may reduce a lot of the need for talent because it actually simulates chalkboard art! Amazing! December 17, 2013
The creative inspiration quest continues and edition features two videos along with some extraordinary illustration and a conversation with a designer about the new iPhone interface ... here we go:
* PaperSpecs Reveals the Trials and Triumphs of Designing Print Projects
* Brobesity? 3-D Avatars Of The Average Joe Are A Hefty Dose Of Reality
* Several iOS 7 Design Choices Criticized By Experienced Designer
* Christoph Niemann: Illustrator, Graphic Designer
* Skinhead culture in graphic design
* Back to the drawing board
... and more ! October 28, 2013
Adobe's site is a wealth of information if you can get to it. We ran across just one of these items in a Google search, and looked at the page to find all the rest. You may want to bookmark any of these to get you back there again. We'll update here too.
* Designers use Adobe Muse to build a map of Manhattan
* Long-exposure photography of Toby Harriman
* Fun with Photoshop layer management
* The Cutting Edge award : Cube Slam
* Creative Voices: Paula Scher
... and more ! October 26, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest moving toward November with some special insights into the creative spirit, and a visit to one of the most important studios of our time! Send in your creative ideas for the holidays this month! Here we go . . .
* Infographic: Just How Dangerous Is The Dye In Your Food?
* Smart people do smart things ... Jason Santa Maria
* Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design
* Can graphic design make feminism cool?
* Russia's Top 20 Designers Today
* Learn: Anatomy of a Typeface
... and more ! October 24, 2013
3D scanning technology is getting better and better, and we really enjoy seeing new applications -- like this brief look at the place where Napoleon met his match, and how Artec and 3D scanning are revolutionizing the field of archeology October 10, 2013
No fonts fest about type, typography, lettering, calligraphy and fonts would be complete without a collection of books about logotypes, symbols, logos and branding. Type and typography plays a huge part in identity design. This year, there are lots of new entries -- some even spawned by the internet. Beware though -- many of today's self-anointed internet designers really don't know much about real design or logos. Take their writings with a grain of salt, then rely on the masters September 26, 2013
Many, many times we get email or forum postings lamenting about the high cost of the Adobe Illustrator and other Adobe products... and now you can't even buy them, you "rent" them from the 'cloud' . . . so we've done a little digging and testing and you can try these for highly functional surrogates for Illustrator :
* iDraw: powerful feature-packed vector drawing and illustration app
* If you're not a design pro, you may need Logo Design Studio
* Animate : Bring your imagination to life!
* TouchDraw : structured 2D vector graphics
* Clipart Collection by UAB Macmanus
* VectorPro Color
. . . and more September 19, 2013
Fans of VicMan's acclaimed no-cost iPhone and iPad photo editor Pho.to Lab can now head to the App Store and download the latest version August 27, 2013
LinkOptimizer is a workflow automation solution for Adobe InDesign. Awarded 4 out of 5 starts by Computer Arts magazine, LinkOptimizer allows you to reduce InDesign link size and speed up processing by eliminating excess image data; it is now compatible with recently released InDesign and Photoshop CC featured as part of Creative Cloud. August 23, 2013
Use your device's camera to snap a picture, then the snapshot becomes your subject. Magically "sketch" the photo's subject using one of handPaint's many tools (magic brush, neon marker, sketch pen, or magic pencil) to create hand drawn effects with photo quality precision. August 21, 2013