How many times have you faced a whole folder of images that needed the same tweak? Or you've got dozens of photos that need to be optimized for web use? You've used PS Elements for this, but it's just so darn limited -- and PSD isn't much better. You might want to take a look at Image Smith! October 11, 2016
DESIGN, TYPOGRAPHY & GRAPHICS is DT&G -- first published in 1988, now, online for 29 years! Twenty-nine years of ideas, tips and tricks and concepts for graphic design, printing and publishing of all kinds. We touch on type, logos, illustration, graphics, layout, page set-up, and pre-press topics -- including Adobe InDesign, Quark XPress, Adobe Illustrator and others ... Send in your best works to be featured here! Join our FaceBook Group and follow us on Twitter
I have a pile of freebies, and just haven't gotten around to including them -- but I'll start including some of them now. Also, an important item for web designers in this issue -- the typography thing between web sites and mobile sites is really a nightmare. Otherwise it's all fun and all good this issue so have a good time!
- Free: Vector Florals, Avatars, Patterns, Shapes and Banners
- Free: Fun Swirls, Doodles, Shapes, Balloons & Cakes
- Free Stuff : Minimalist Sports Icons
- Sally DaBronzo Free Printables
- Typography is impossible
Bridget Haina, accomplished design educator discusses the Gestalt Principles of Design. For more than a century, and thousands of hours of research and study, these lessons have been established as the most important factors of visual design -- for all designers! Thank you Bridget for helping get visual designers on the right track! September 13, 2016
Welcome to September, and the opening of Fall!
- Wow... our 22nd annual FONTS FESTIVAL!
- 22nd Fonts Fest: moving type, type for lawyers, cancer type and more
- Typographer's Majestic Treasure Chest with 45 awesome caligraphic fonts
- FFF #2: A Tattoo font, some calligraphy, a weird sans, . . . a slab and even a caps marker font!
- Photoshop Madness: Add A Realistic Old Photo Effect To Any Photo with Photoshop
- 60-Seconds #336 : You Are Annoying Your Customers? Do you know why?
- Creative Tidbits #213: the world's ugliest color, beyond CMYK. . . free photos, icons and more
- VIDEO Tutorial : How To Make Images Look Old using Photoshop
- Marketing Update : ad strategies, food trends, direct mail, making money and more
- 5 Signs That It's Time to Update Your Website
- Social Media Update : Celebrity Posts, Facebook Likes, Twitter Tactics, . . . media failures and more
- Ad Blockers : ad poison, skip button, pernicious Facebook,
- . . . Adblock, WSJ, reader blocking
- A Sad day for P22
- The end of the Publishers' Warehouse
- Autumn is here... gearing up
Here we are in the fall and you know what that means? The Typography department people are going to be working around the clock for this year's Fall Fonts Festival, and so I'm thinking I'll give'em a hand with the Creative Tidbits columns this month. . . Have fun and if YOU have a creative tidbit to report, please send it in!
- Pantone launches new vibrant app for digital-savvy designers and colour enthusiasts
- The World's Ugliest Color Examined By Graphic Design Experts
- Free Stuff : Ioana Baltesiu's Stylish Icons
- Beyond CMYK – New InfoTrends Study
- Safe Haven for those who admire
- Hefalo Script ~ fresh and fun!
- Time Travel with Jenna
In celebration of the upcoming August 5th "National Coloring Day" we're showing some of our favorite experiences -- whether it's for creative inspiration or just the love of coloring complicated, detailed patterns -- by any name -- these tessellations or techellations will make you crazy with glee! August 3, 2016
These geometric pattern books are not just coloring books for adults -- they can be an endless source for ideas and decorative inspiration. Many of these are so extravagant they may even defy understanding until they're colorized. The "Ornaments & Designs" book comes with a CD ROM filled with files you can copy, print modify for literally an endless supply of patterns. August 2, 2016
Everyone and their brother seems to a logo designer and logo design expert these days, no matter how much (or little) experience they've had -- and without the slightest mention of a formal education. Blogs hum, faceless unknowns pontificate logo design, and there's even a "logo of the day" site. One popular logo blogger has climbed to unimaginable popularity with "lists" of logos regurgitated from other people's sites and no content of his own. Facebook, Tumblr and LinkedIn buzz with "logo designing" experts from all over the world. I searched for Logo Design and got 40-million hits. It's amazing. August 2, 2016
This week we get some serious stuff, including some advice for freelancers (Do you pay taxes?) -- and how to get special Emmy awards for your video graphics! Well maybe. Don't forget, if you've seen something you'd like to share with DTG readers, just let us know.
- Zaha Hadid, Gensler, and more, vying in Sunset Strip billboard competition
- Sports Emmy® Award For ESPN Monday Night Football Graphics Package
- Graphic revolution: How Poland redefined the art of poster design
- The Freelancer's Essential Guide to Business and Taxes
Now that the iPad Pro is on the streets, we're really thrilled to start seeing so many software developers adding support! Archisketch 2.01 for iOS, has added support for the Apple Pencil, Adobe Creative Cloud, smart one- and two-point perspectives, "Share Extension" and other advancements to the scale-aware sketching app for Architects and designers. July 30, 2016