THREE DECADES AGO, with the advent of electronic publishing and nouveau design practitioners, many either didn't know basic typography, or they didn't care to remember. The roots of type and typography is evidenced in every letter we see. We're taught at a very young age to recognize letter forms. It's a basic common denominator in our society. August 13, 2015
TYPOGRAPHY! TYPE has been one of the words in DT&G Magazine (or "Design, Typography & Graphics") since its debut in 1988. OCTOBER is brought to you by the letter "O"
This is a wonderful visit with Doyald Young, Logotype Designer -- this is required viewing for all designers and typographers, or anyone involved in the field of visual communications.
Please allow time to watch this all the way to the end. You'll be very glad you did. Unfortunately, Doyald Young passed away in 2011, one of the great typographers of our time.
We've also included a special link, and arranged a FREE TRIAL of the entire course for DTG readers!
Doyald Young, Logotype Designer August 11, 2015
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 25, #05 ~ May
- May is all about Design Graduation
- Photoshop Madness : Spring color palettes, flowers and mothers
- Creative Tidbits #191: inspiration, typography, gallery, Paul Rand
- Photoshop Tutorial : Create a Geometric Wallpaper in Photoshop
- An extraordinary design conference on type & typography comes to New York City
- 60-Seconds #321: Google's Mobilegeddon! REPENT or ye shall surely perish!
- 60-Seconds #322 : I got trapped by Google Adsense & false advertising
- GraphicConverter rises to yet greater heights with the latest upgrade from Lemke Software
- Advertising Update : broadcast vs. print, Sensory Marketing, Facebook
- Social Media Update : The wires and wireless are buzzing with the next big thing
- Transform the Photos You Have into the Images You Want
- Could Pixelmator Watercolor Painting Technology be the one that replaces Photoshop?
- PaintCode 2.3 adds over 15 new features, including SVG export
- iOS Photo Booth App - SnapBooth Offers Major New Features
- Web Design Update: Mobilegeddon, Amorality, Uber, SEO, Web trends and more!
- Recreate the magic of instant Polaroid printing
- JUNE: Creative SURF
- Mother's Day & Graduation
May 1, 2015
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 25, #04 ~ April Here we are, moving forward into April, and part two of our Designing Women special. As always have a great month, and keep in touch . . .
- 20th Annual Designing Women Celebration Three: New finds, old friends
- 20th Annual Designing Women Celebration Four: Pins, needles, pens, paints and passion
- 60-Seconds #320 : Should history be erased? Should Google erase memories if they're out of date?
- Vintage printing effects with this new Photoshop plug-in Permanent Press
- Creative Tidbits #189: Oscars, Light Sabers and Football Helmets
- Creative Tidbits #190: Hip-hoppers, decades, Instagram, textures and more
- Marketing Update : Twitter, Facebook, Direct Mail, Press Releases, Video and more
- Advertising Update : Brand-Protection, cookies, digital ads, ad strategy
- Marketing Update : Click-through, Customers, Mobile, Email, PR Pros and more
- Marketing Update : March Marketing Madness
- Create a Whole New World of Video with Red Giant Universe VFX
- Know how to fold? Use the Folding Genius AI Version 2 for Mac and Win
- Graphic Design App Candy Apple Updated with more WOW features!
- & Else : News, Views and Reviews from the News Department
- April is brought to you by
- Looking ahead: May, June July
April 1, 2015
Need a fresh design perspective? Tired of using the same old looking fonts? Need to change up the text style in a presentation, print project or a graphic design project? Download brand new premium font designs that just came off the development floor at 128bit Technologies, MacAppware. Premium Fonts, version 5.0 now includes 147 original font families, with a total of 1,841 fonts in all.< December 29, 2014
Born on my birthday, August 18, in Seoul, South Korea, Hyung-Seung Lee could quite possibly be one of the "new masters" of this typography generation. In 2013, Hyun-Seung Lee, and two friends Dae-Hoon Hahm and Min-Joo Ham, together, designed the Core Bandi font -- and what? They're already color separated for flat-ink screen printing! WOW November 29, 2014
Ladies and gentlemen, meet graphic designer and font virtuoso, Ms. Laura Worthington. We ran across Laura two years ago during the Fall Fonts Festival, and I earmarked her for a future piece. Well, during prep for December, I peeked in on her and WOW -- discovered "Adorn." Wow! This is not just a font, it's a period design genre! November 26, 2014
I guess you saw our previous Photoshop Styles downloads but now we have a new collection. If you have ever attempted to make a new Photoshop or Illustrator style, you probably know what a pain it is. Any of these 300 styles for Photoshop can be easily modified to create thousands more. You may never have to make another style from scratch -- ever! November 11, 2014
Five more pages of surfing for type, lettering, fonts, calligraphy and cool stuff about typography are behind us. As we say goodbye to the 20th annual fonts surf, I'm thinking we may just be back to add yet more. Please send in your favorites to share with all other DT&G Magazine and Design Center readers! Enjoy:
[*] Lettering and Signage Trends at the Grocery Stores
[*] A cursive font you thought was done by hand
[*] Stephen Miggas of Aerotype Arbordale
[*] Take this FONT in your lunchbox
[*] Uber chic for cheap
. . . and more! September 30, 2014
This edition was truly one of our favorites! It's always such a thrill to discover new talents -- and visit old friends, like Gerard! There are some great resources out there too -- like the features of Open-Type, which seriously deserves study by all graphic designers! So come along, revisit Mr Huerta, and see some outstanding hand lettering. Enjoy:
[*] The Five Best (and most underused) Features of OpenType Fonts
[*] Type Talk: Gerard Huerta, Master of Hand Lettering
[*] Getting the vintage script perfect : Coco
[*] Jill is the real deal in Brandlettering
[*] Born to be Kings
. . . and more! September 30, 2014