No, don't think books have gone out of style! And, while there are hundreds of thousands of examples and samples of great typography and hand lettering on the web, you really cannot do without these selected books for this year's 21 Anniversary Fall Fonts Fest! Dig in folks, you don't have much time left! August 24, 2015
TYPOGRAPHY! TYPE has been one of the words in DT&G Magazine (or "Design, Typography & Graphics") since its debut in 1988. SEPTEMBER is brought to you by the letter "S"
There are "freebie" fonts lists, and 'freeby' fonts replicator sites coming out the ying-yang. Very few will talk about commercial fonts -- but folks, I'm here to tell'ya the commercial fonts are almost always far, far ahead in terms of quality. Some of the free fonts sites have good looking stuff, but your download them and end up with a mess on your hands. Well, not true of these -- we can stake our reputation on these fonts -- and can guarantee you'll like the way you look when you use them!
- Twisting and weaving separate strands makes Twine
- Learn the art of steel quill, and draw Escritura
- You're gonna love working with Letter Press!
- Take your publication into the Garden . . .
- Galeb Texture
August 21, 2015
Trying to find all the good stuff on type, lettering, calligraphy, typography and branding online is a monumental task. Sites like Tumblr and Pinterest now rule the bandwidth with literally millions of great samples of type and typography. So I've just picked out a very few of the ones I think merits the attention of anyone interested in visual communications. August 19, 2015
Matt Vergotis demonstrates Left handed lettering using assorted brush pens and the pilot parallel pen . . . we discovered him on Instagram . . . but in this video he shows you the action of a brush-style script. You think it's easy? Give it a try! August 14, 2015
THREE DECADES AGO, with the advent of electronic publishing and nouveau design practitioners, many either didn't know basic typography, or they didn't care to remember. The roots of type and typography is evidenced in every letter we see. We're taught at a very young age to recognize letter forms. It's a basic common denominator in our society. August 13, 2015
This is a wonderful visit with Doyald Young, Logotype Designer -- this is required viewing for all designers and typographers, or anyone involved in the field of visual communications.
Please allow time to watch this all the way to the end. You'll be very glad you did. Unfortunately, Doyald Young passed away in 2011, one of the great typographers of our time.
We've also included a special link, and arranged a FREE TRIAL of the entire course for DTG readers!
Doyald Young, Logotype Designer August 11, 2015
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 25, #05 ~ May
- May is all about Design Graduation
- Photoshop Madness : Spring color palettes, flowers and mothers
- Creative Tidbits #191: inspiration, typography, gallery, Paul Rand
- Photoshop Tutorial : Create a Geometric Wallpaper in Photoshop
- An extraordinary design conference on type & typography comes to New York City
- 60-Seconds #321: Google's Mobilegeddon! REPENT or ye shall surely perish!
- 60-Seconds #322 : I got trapped by Google Adsense & false advertising
- GraphicConverter rises to yet greater heights with the latest upgrade from Lemke Software
- Advertising Update : broadcast vs. print, Sensory Marketing, Facebook
- Social Media Update : The wires and wireless are buzzing with the next big thing
- Transform the Photos You Have into the Images You Want
- Could Pixelmator Watercolor Painting Technology be the one that replaces Photoshop?
- PaintCode 2.3 adds over 15 new features, including SVG export
- iOS Photo Booth App - SnapBooth Offers Major New Features
- Web Design Update: Mobilegeddon, Amorality, Uber, SEO, Web trends and more!
- Recreate the magic of instant Polaroid printing
- JUNE: Creative SURF
- Mother's Day & Graduation
May 1, 2015
DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 25, #04 ~ April Here we are, moving forward into April, and part two of our Designing Women special. As always have a great month, and keep in touch . . .
- 20th Annual Designing Women Celebration Three: New finds, old friends
- 20th Annual Designing Women Celebration Four: Pins, needles, pens, paints and passion
- 60-Seconds #320 : Should history be erased? Should Google erase memories if they're out of date?
- Vintage printing effects with this new Photoshop plug-in Permanent Press
- Creative Tidbits #189: Oscars, Light Sabers and Football Helmets
- Creative Tidbits #190: Hip-hoppers, decades, Instagram, textures and more
- Marketing Update : Twitter, Facebook, Direct Mail, Press Releases, Video and more
- Advertising Update : Brand-Protection, cookies, digital ads, ad strategy
- Marketing Update : Click-through, Customers, Mobile, Email, PR Pros and more
- Marketing Update : March Marketing Madness
- Create a Whole New World of Video with Red Giant Universe VFX
- Know how to fold? Use the Folding Genius AI Version 2 for Mac and Win
- Graphic Design App Candy Apple Updated with more WOW features!
- & Else : News, Views and Reviews from the News Department
- April is brought to you by
- Looking ahead: May, June July
April 1, 2015
Need a fresh design perspective? Tired of using the same old looking fonts? Need to change up the text style in a presentation, print project or a graphic design project? Download brand new premium font designs that just came off the development floor at 128bit Technologies, MacAppware. Premium Fonts, version 5.0 now includes 147 original font families, with a total of 1,841 fonts in all.< December 29, 2014
Born on my birthday, August 18, in Seoul, South Korea, Hyung-Seung Lee could quite possibly be one of the "new masters" of this typography generation. In 2013, Hyun-Seung Lee, and two friends Dae-Hoon Hahm and Min-Joo Ham, together, designed the Core Bandi font -- and what? They're already color separated for flat-ink screen printing! WOW November 29, 2014