No fonts fest is complete without free fonts, right? No need for us to give you fonts . . . you can just go here and download 350 fonts -- the only free commercial use font collection to receive regular updates of brand new fonts. We like'em ... you will too! September 26, 2014
Here's an interesting experiment in the minds of graphic designers . . . in the 2010 annual fonts fest we went to a graphic design forum on LinkedIn and asked the question. This year we returned to the very same forum and asked the very same question. Whoa! What a difference! September 24, 2014
Sometimes I run into conversations that I just can't resist passing along. Such is this one I ran across on LinkedIn. But what are your thoughts with asked "What's the most overused font of contemporary design?" I have my ideas, and you'd expect passionate responses from any designer of some background and knowledge. Let's see what the LinkedIn graphic design professionals believe the answer is. . . September 13, 2014
You are going to like the look of ARTZ ... it's one of the the newest wood type to be cut at Hamilton Wood Type and Printing Museum. It was designed by venerable type designer Erik Spiekermann for his own print studio (P98a in Berlin), specifically to be cut into large size wood type. September 10, 2014
- The 20th Anniversary Fonts Fest Part TWO
- Fonts, lettering and typography surf FOUR
- Jim Parkinson : half-century of typography
- New found free Script fonts for the 20th year!
- Photoshop : Never make a Photoshop or Illustrator Style again!
- Graphic Designers Ask : How much should I charge
- 60-Seconds #315 : LinkedIN thinks 360,000 people, including me, are stupid.
- Creative Update 179 -- Graphic Design Creative Inspiration
- GraphicConverter gets an upgrade, and a New Image Verifier
- Marketing Update : AdWords Etiquette, Content Skills, and do we really trust advertising?
- LightWave 3D Group Ultimate Creativity Bundle with OctaneRender
- &Else: All-In-One Mobile 3D Modeling App rivals 3D workstation software
- &Else: An animated template for graphic seals in FinalCut Pro
- &Else: Awesome new features, Pixelmator may be the Photoshop Killer!
- &Else: Help from ColorLogic's color management for more consistent color results
- This Year's Fonts Fest Poster
- Enjoy September... onward toward October
This is the last of this surf, but now we get to have some real fun watching seasoned professionals with real talent apply real ink in creating some superb lettering! I'm also very pleased to bring the official trailer for the movie "Sign Painter" -- a fantastic documentary on the art, craft and times of sign painting. Later, we'll dig deeper into the documentary, but for now, enjoy the September Fonts surf . . . September 1, 2014
We always meet some awesome talents during the Fonts Festival ... as we do all year long. The next talents were actually suggested by DTG readers throughout the year. We often ask for your suggestions, tips and favorites -- and while we sadly don't get a lot of response, we have gotten some real winners. These are just a few examples of some of the visits we'll be making along this year's surf.
Courtney Jeanette; Julia Ruetten; Erik Marinovich; and The wonderful world of Karen To!
So follow along ... September 1, 2014
As we continue our 2014 fonts and lettering surf, we now visit some studios of extraordinary visual communicators! This is where we enjoy seeing fresh, inspiring uses of fonts, typography and lettering. On this page we'll be visiting the polished clean works of Matthew Tapia, then off to the TYPEFIGHT Letter vs. Letter, and the studios of Ruslan Khasanov!
So follow along ... September 1, 2014
My favorite part of the annual fonts fest is just searching for cool entries and resources to share with the DTG readers! If I ever give up the internet publishing thing, this is probably one activity I'll continue in my 60-Second Windows blog. With Pinterest, Tumblr and all the various social image sharing medias, there's no shortage of hunting grounds. You could easily make a full-time job of discovering cool stuff, all day, every day, without seeing the same things twice.
In this first surf for 2014, I'm filtering to the unusual, and off the beaten paths. Much of the surf so far is more about the human interaction with lettering, fonts and typography than the fonts themselves. And of course, that's the most important end result of typography in the first place! September 1, 2014
Help us celebrate the 20th Annual festival! We're giving away over $4,000 in stock, clip art, raster, vector resources for Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, for the paltry license fee of $69. The holidays are just around the corner -- here's Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and all kinds -- actually more than 1,000 -- vector and raster graphics files under several dozen catagories! How can you pass this up? August 30, 2014