Infographics 101: Using Pictures to Communicate and Connect With Your Audiences -- explains what infographics are, how they are put together, and how you can use them in your business.
This free chapter is from the author of Power of Infographics, The: Using Pictures to Communicate and Connect With Your Audiences, courtesy of Informit.
If you’ve read a newspaper or blog, flipped through a magazine, or used social media recently, you’ve likely come across infographics—those self-contained pictorials that tell you the gist of a story or concept at a glance.
But what is their purpose? Are infographics simply eye candy that publishers and brand journalists use to gloss up their content, or do they aim to fulfill a greater business communication objective?
Need to overcome information overload and get your message across? Infographics are your secret weapon. Using them, you can deliver knowledge and ideas visually, so your audiences can understand them quickly - and take action.
In The Power of Infographics, Mark Smiciklas helps you understand how to leverage the use of powerful infographics: visual representations capable of transforming complex data or concepts into intuitive, instant knowledge. Writing from a business perspective, Smiciklas reveals how to use infographics both inside and outside the organization: to build brands, make sales, serve clients, align teams behind new strategies, and more.
This straightforward, visual, common-sense based book explains:
- What infographics are, and why they work so well
- How to visualize statistical data, business processes, time, geography, lists, relationships, and concepts
- How to communicate the "personal" through infographics
- Best practices for observation, processing ideas, creating highly effective infographics, and publishing them
- How to plan for and measure the ROI of infographics
- And much more...