July Summer Photography... & ELSE
I'm happy to send the newsletter directly to your email, if you'd like. Some 50-thousand other people actually prefer it in email! Just ask!
- JULY Summer Photography
- Photoshop: Selective Coloring & Tonal Color Effects
- Digital Photos: Using Photoshop to Whiten Teeth and Eyes
- Logos: The Apple Core vs. Linear Logic
- Logos: An effective logo is easy to grasp
- Logos: Grand Brand Theft
- Photoshop: Awesome Patterns
- Mailbag: Dirty, Rotten Logo poachers
- Mailbag: JUST SAY NO TO AOL
- News, Views, Reviews, &Else...
- NET NEUTRALITY
- Type: The Declaration font set
- Who believes in'ya? Artlandia
- AUGUST is BACK TO (DESIGN) SCHOOL
- July to August... on the road... taking care
Visiting Digital Photographers
* Capturing Life's Memorable Moments - visit Kevin O'Connell freelance photographer from N.Y., who finds his creativity in restoration and retouching with Photoshop.
* Visions of Dubai - Pal Singh, professional print designer in Dubai, United Arab Emirates brings some unusual "Digital Photography" views of Dubai.
* Particular Visions - Cile Bailey, professional photographer from Louisiana says "..Look who's watching!"
* There's A Fog Upon The Lake - Beth Rogers, freelance designer and photographer, takes us outdoors for some Alabama scenery
... and more; and you can find them all at the Photo-Folio.com site Selective Coloring tutorial Photoshop for whiter teeth and eyes! The Apple Core vs. Linear Logic an effective logo is easy to grasp Grand Brand Theft
See our story and be sure to visit Artlandia for pictures and all!
There's nothing wrong with making a few bucks by selling your creative work so cheap it puts other, honest designers in jeopardy. Really, a $25 logo is going to be worth just about $25 or less.
What I really object to however is when these low-life profiteers resort to criminal activities to ply their wares. In the past month, I've been watching our forms and contact mail and there's been a new proliferation of logo spammers...
Quick Buy Pre-Made Logos : $25 - This spam promised us a "perfect logo" for just $25! On the front page they brag: "Our company has been designing logos for over 4 years" Wow -- four years! They even encouraged us to "Use our cart to shop and compare designs before you buy!" -- shopping for a logo as if shopping for beer. You should steer clear of anyone from a web site called : "thefreelogomakers" dot-com.
Unique-Logos! -- This one sent spam to all our email addresses boasting: "For value and a logo that reflects your image, take a few minutes and visit Logo Maker!" They were cheap, but the SpamCop also shut them down for spamming. The address was logosxd dot-biz. Good going, SpamCop.
Do you have "Logo Horror" stories. Send them along for DTG readers.
Worse news: during testing AOL to track down the problem we sent and received dozens and dozens of 'test' emails into and out of the AOL system -- get this: AOL delayed more than half of the email several hours or more. On some tests AOL delayed the mail a fully 24-hour day. So, be very careful if you want your mail to be "instant" into or out of AOL -- it may not necessarily happen that way. AOL: JUST SAY NO
* On The Job 2.1 Time Tracking Software On The Job 2.1
* Dreamweaver 8 Makes Great Looking, Sophisticated Web Sites
* Cashing in with Google - advertising on the web
* Search Engine Optimization for the Rest of Us
* Multiply Yellow Pages Ad Response
* Chris Georgenes to teach Flash Flash Design
* ConceptDraw MINDMAP on iPod
... and you can read them all ... Get Started
Which side are you on? Send your comments about Net Neutrality.
Join the movement...
Visit the UGN SafeNet merchandise page and select a button or bumper sticker that tells the world where to go... (Click the "Net Neutrality" link) UGN SafeNet The Declaration font
... and join us in sending a big thanks from all DTG readers for helping to support the Design Center
Don't forget to visit ALL of the Design Center's supporters...
... without them, the Design Center could not deliver all these free articles and goodies each month.
If you like the from DTG and the Design Center, share just a few dollars. It goes a long way to bringing fresh, new, content each month, right to your door step. Just look for the "Friends" link in the left column of the front page...
What have you learned? About Design? About Photography? About Art and Graphics share what you've learned with DTG readers...
* Your favorite lesson in design
* Your favorite lesson in art, graphics or Photoshop
* Graphics or design lessons you DID NOT learn in school
* What you would teach new designers today
* Books: Your favorite art or design BOOK (Why?)
* Books you got but were disappointed in (Why?)
* Books: your favorite author (Why?)
All you have to do is click the link and share your knowledge... What you know could win you prizes...
Photoshop Madness, as you may have noticed, is missing from this issue, but you can be sure it will be up in a few days. Just too much to do and too little time.
If you are out and about, traveling this summer, please do be careful... watch your self and your stuff. Keep a close eye on your laptop, your bags, camera, and kids. Keep them all safe and return yourself safe and sound from vacation... to enjoy good times through July and August -- enjoy the show.
And, as for this month, well, you've already wasted a perfectly good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info.
Thanks for reading...
Editor / Publisher, DT&G Magazine
Parting words for JULY as we contemplate our freedoms...
"Everything that is really great and inspiring
is created by the individual
who can labor in freedom."
PS: if you've made it this far, the Loading Dock address for JULY will be set to "snap" to remind you to keep on snapping those photos. Just add the word "snap" after the last slash in www.graphic-design.com/
WHO IS Fred Showker?
Participate in your Design CenterLots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly email newsletter, and each month we'll send you a low-key text email with all the happenings in the Design Center along with regular columns like the Mail-Bag, Reader-Tips, and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE to the Designers' CAFE email discussion list (listserv) and join the ongoing discussions about design and publishing