DT&G Newsletter for July
Before getting into this month's content, I wanted to send a special welcome to all those who have subscribed or become active in the Design Center.
DT&G email newsletter, and update to THIS PAGE will hit around the 4th of the month... watch for it.DTG Forums...
* Link to your favorite article in the Design Center,
* Send a link to YOUR page (where the link is found)
* Include your mailing address (U.S. and Canada only, sorry.)
* Note your 'passion' in computing topics
* and a new book from the Design Bookshelf is on its way to you! Questions?
- _____________ TABLE OF CONTENTS _____________
- JULY: A digital summer
- Photoshop Elements QuickFix & Color Corrections
- Photoshop blending Photos to Sketches
- Web Critiques: Soft Soap? Eye Candy? School Buses?
- Sequential Photo Action
- Photoshop Frames, Borders, Matts and Layers
- Design Pro or Freelancer?
- Who loves you?
- TintBooks sez Thank You
- Take your camera... it's a digital summer
- Business: The ultimate design brief
- Customers & Gaboon Vipers
- Business: AdWords Campaigns?
- Business: Designing an interactive PDF newsletter
- HEX Color Problems are back
- Graphic Artist of the Month: Sherry M
- Mail Bag: "Where can I get a job?"
- WIN: Fonts Festival and Holiday Design
- &Else: A Penny for your iPhone
This month's topic features lots of references on digital photography and photo illustration using Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Don't forget to share your experiences either in the Design Cafe, or in Photoshop 911 forums... Above all, have a great July! QuickFix & Color Corrections using Photoshop Elements Blending Photos to Sketches
Then there's the "Eye Candy" designer's site that brings mixed reviews from the Cafe... we'd like your opinion on this one as well! Just log into the Design Cafe Web Design Critique department Photoshop and Sequential Photos. Frames, Borders, Matts and Layers! Design Pro / Freelancer Survey
* Sacramento Full Color Digital Printing
Thanks to SFCDP for providing support for our summer issues -- and if you buy or broker printing, you owe it to yourself to check out their low-cost, full color digital business cards and brochures -- tell them DTG sent you! www.tintbooks.com
Here's a little help for anyone with a digital camera:
* Low Budget Shooting? here's your one-stop source for an array of useful and inexpensive photographic tools.
* 40 Digital Photography Techniques along with dozens of tips for taking better pictures and getting creative with digital photography
* Got print photos? Not to worry -- The Microtek ScanMaker s450 is an affordable scanner to meet the diverse needs of a home office . . .
* And here's the cure for photos that didn't quite turn out right -- the AKVIS Noise Buster Noise Suppression for Digital and Scanned Images -- removes noise while keeping fine details of a picture . . .
* yes, there's more in the &Else news Department The ultimate design brief Gaboon Viper techniques for proper marketing to boost sales Designing an interactive PDF newsletter see how these colors look in your browser...
"My photography evolved from a need to have reference material for my non-digital art, and in turn my digital art has evolved from my photography. One thing always seems to lead to another!
There are many, but our favorite is her Digital Photo Art Portfolio
HELP WANTED: if the Design Center or our full-time design firm wants candidates, we'll post at DesignQuotes.net. I have personally written checks to designers who answered our four job listings at DesignQuotes.net over the past several months. Those jobs totalled nearly $20,000. I've had such a good experience, I'm convinced that DesignQuote has evolved the ideal online job site. I'm so convinced, that I've started listing the most attractive job openings for our readers.
So don't send your resume. Just go to the DTG Jobs Listings Page and GET A JOB the registration page.
Our "Designing the Holidays" theme takes you through November and December, and we're looking for samples of your favorite Holiday Promotions, or a peek at your upcoming holiday designs. Share samples of holiday designs and graphics you've received! You can sign up and register atgraphic-design.com/holiday_design.html
When we finally got into the store, I was well rewarded for the wait. The iPhone is, indeed, as awesome and sexy as all the media hype had portrayed. It's a spectacular technical design and achievement. No, I didn't buy one. But I did see at least a dozen iPhone bags walk out the front door. The Design Center's server guru, Brian Davis, bought one -- you know, he's always wanting to be on the bleeding edge -- but I think I'll wait for reports from Brian on how good the reception is, and how well it performs over the months to come. It will be interesting, and I'll keep you posted.
I'll be posting photos and a more complete story in the User Group blog this weekend. Tune in for my reactions: www.ugnn.com &Else!
As we head into summer, people in the Northern Hemisphere will be heading out for leisure... take along your favorite Design book... learn some new CSS tricks, discover new fonts, catch up on all those Photoshop tutorials you've downloaded... there's lots to dive into in the graphic arts and design fields -- and we're here to help!
Oh... and if there are any readers in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, who know of some great beaches or marinas to access with a boat... please pass them along.
And, once again you've already wasted a perfectly good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info
Thanks for reading...
Editor / Publisher, DT&G Magazine
Parting words for July...
"I know it's only half past twelve,
but I don't care,
It's 5 o'clock, somewhere!"
- Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffett
PS: if you've made it this far, the Loading Dock address for July will be changed to "freedom" on or around the 4th of July -- with lots of new additions for you to dig into. Just add the word "freedom" after the last slash in www.graphic-design.com/
WHO IS Fred Showker?
Participate in your Design CenterLots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly email newsletter, and each month we'll send you a low-key text email with all the happenings in the Design Center along with regular columns like the Mail-Bag, Reader-Tips, and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE to the Designers' CAFE email discussion list (listserv) and join the ongoing discussions about design and publishing