Get ready for ' War of the Worlds"
free Sophie e-book readerRivertext.com has released the new Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) compatible version of the free Sophie e-book reader -- including an expedition into the Kafkaesque.
The latest e-book, a collection of five extraordinary stories by Franz Kafka and his precursors, begins with a look at the deeper meaning of the term 'Kafkaesque.'
The preface to the Sophie e-book released earlier this year, H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds," offers a more provocative and timely interpretation of the original science fiction classic than Stephen Spielberg's new blockbuster film starring Tom Cruise. All the Sophie e-books begin with an original and thought-provoking preface.
The 12 e-books have many useful features as well as at least one delightfully useless feature. Two of the e-books, "JFK Witness" and Thoreau's "Walden" include guided tours created with the Sophie notebook tool. This tool allows readers to create and share with others their own indexed and commented "readings" of important texts.
Sophie's search feature lists the chapter and the phrase for each occurrence of a search string. On the more or less useless side of the feature list, a copy of Fourth World's Text Blender Pro is built-in to each e-book reader. Paste in any meaningful passage and the text blender will, grind, whip, puree, or liquify it until it is more or less meaningless. A few poets, song-writers or latter-day beatniks will find this to be a useful feature, but for most it will be a delectable distraction.
The other e-books included in the free download are: Joseph Conrad's "The Heart of Darkness," two books by G.K. Chesterton "The Man who was Thursday," and "The Innocence of Father Brown," Thomas a Kempis' "Imitatio Christi," "Pencil and Poison - Selected Prose of Oscar Wilde," Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter" and Robert Louis Stevenson's "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde."
Version 1.02k of Sophie is fully compatible with Macintosh OS 9, or OS X and it runs Windows 95 and later. Sophie was developed by Rivertext.com and Fourth World Media Corporation Inc. for the legendary multimedia CD-ROM "If Monks Had Macs." This CD-ROM includes sophisticated intellectual tools, games and richly illustrated multimedia. It also works on Windows.Download SophieMore information about "If Monks had Macs" and SophieBrian Thomas is the author of the acclaimed multimedia CD-ROM If Monks had Macs
audience = General: cross platform anyone
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- Visit our Windows Shareware / Freeware Department
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network