The Art of Digital Photography
and Creative ThinkingArt, technology, craft, and creativity meet and merge in Julieanne Kost's "Window Seat: The Art of Digital Photography & Creative Thinking". Impossible to pigeonhole, this uniquely innovative book is part philosophical guide for creative thinking, part artist's portfolio, and part technical tutorial.
Photographer, creativity guru, and Adobe digital imaging evangelist, Julieanne Kost frequently travels on business by air. Constantly challenging herself to see the world with a fresh eye, she recognized the graphic potential of images seen from her window seat and shot thousands of photos over a five-year period. On one level, this book documents that process and presents a stunning portfolio of more than 150 evocative images of air, water, earth, light, and shadow.
This personal project is the second part of "Window Seat." Preceding it is a philosophical yet practical treatise on creativity, offering 18 things anyone can do to see, think, and work more creatively. Her list, reassuringly down-to-earth, includes such suggestions as:
-Be open to whatever comes your way
-View every challenge as a possible discovery
-Integrate work and art, to the benefit of both
-Take up an interest in something you know nothing about
-Replace your thoughts with intuition
-Visualize first, Photoshop second
The third part of this seminar-in-a-book focuses on the imaging techniques Julieanne uses to infuse an image with the emotion the camera cannot capture. Using Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop CS2, she provides instructions for capturing and managing images, processing raw files, sizing and cropping, removing imperfections, making global and selective tonal changes, adding color, preparing images for print, and more.
Even if you are not a photographer or Photoshop adept, "Window Seat" will open your eyes and your mind to fresh insights and new perspectives. The next time you fly, the view from your window seat might surprise you.
Window Seat: The Art of Digital Photography & Creative Thinking
* by Julieanne Kost
* 152 pages, $39.99 US, $55.99 CAN
* Sample Excerpt: The Art of Creative Thinking (PDF Format)
* Read Walking the Talk with author Julieanne Kost
About the author
Photoshop Hall of Fame member Julieanne Kost joined Adobe Systems in 1993 and currently serves as the Graphic Arts Evangelist, educating graphic designers, photographers, educators, and fine artists. She is a master of both Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator and has used them extensively in graphic design, print, and photography as well as cross-media for online and multimedia productions.
Julieanne is a passionate photographer. She has had several shows of her work, and many of her images have been published. She is a frequent lecturer and teaches courses in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator at prominent industry tradeshows, distinguished fine art and photography schools and workshops, and numerous trade conferences around the world.
For over 25 years, O'Reilly Media has illuminated the spaces where innovation, creativity, and technology converge. Nowhere is this more exciting than in the rapidly expanding sphere of creative media, specifically digital photography, graphics, video, audio, and illustration. From in-depth tutorials, comprehensive references, and techniques cookbooks to creative works that educate and inspire, O'Reilly connects you to the technologies--and the leading experts--in print, online, and in person. Visit www.digitalmedia.oreilly.com
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- Visit our Windows Shareware / Freeware Department
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network