LETTER AS IMAGE / IMAGE AS LETTER
Six Artists Reinventing Lettering and Creating New Vocabularies of Design
* April 6 - May 19, 2006
* Opening Reception with the Artists
* Thursday, April 6, 2006/6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
A focus on new ways of seeing the 26 characters of the alphabet and how to use them as expressive tools in a contemporary vocabulary of design is what binds these six letterform artists together in a kind of shared vision.
Blurring the distinctions
Blurring the distinctions between illustration, lettering and graphic design, this work has endeavored to "push the envelope" and give birth to a hybrid form of design where the letter is the image and the image is the letter.
Borrowing elements from vintage ephemera, architecture, traditional design, and anything else they could lay their eyes on, these artists have had an unmistakable impact on how letterforms are used and perceived, and on Pop Culture in general.
The artists Michael Doret, Peter Greco, Gerard Huerta, Tom Nikosey, Daniel Pelavin & Tom White have chosen over 100 pieces of their best work that span the last 25+ years.
On view will be works that are familiar and also works that have never before been seen by the public-from sketches and comps to final art and prints.
Harold's Gallery at Insync Media
550 North Oak Street
Inglewood, CA 90302
Info: gallery [at] insyncmedia.com
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE : to the Designers' CAFE email list
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- Visit our Windows Shareware / Freeware Department
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network