Adobe InDesign CS3
Mastering InDesign with Deke McClellandIf you're getting ready to learn something new, nothing beats having a trainer by your side. And if you want to learn InDesign CS3, nothing comes closer to a personal coach than Deke McClelland's unique and effective multimedia package, "Adobe InDesign CS3 One-on-One"
Indeed, Michael Ninness, Adobe InDesign's senior product manager heartily agrees. He recommends Deke's new book and companion video to anyone who needs immediate results. "Deke really gets it. He understands what it takes to pick up InDesign CS3 for the first time and make it work for you."
Deke--who has written more than 85 books on computer graphics and design books and logged hundreds of hours of tutorial-style video training for industry leader lynda.com--says his new book was designed for visual learners. "I tried to devise creative ways to weave the graphics into the text. Throughout the book, every step is clearly illustrated as well as explained."
Aimed at students, teachers, and anyone working in electronic design, Deke's important new guide to InDesign CS3 serves as an all-in-one training package. It comes packed with many exciting new projects, 900 full color images, diagrams, and screenshots, and more than three hours of lynda.com video instruction to show you how to do the work in real time.
"All the video instructions were created for my new book. We provide a video for each lesson along with an overview of what's going on in a design program and how it differs from text editors," explains Deke.
Throughout his new book and video system, Deke encourages you to proceed at your own pace. Under Deke's seasoned guidance, through twelve step-by-step lessons and relevant, real-world projects, you learn both fundamental and advanced concepts, theories, techniques, and best practices for making the most out of InDesign.
Deke's comprehensive multimedia training solution teaches you how to:
- - Create professional-looking documents with InDesign's powerful text and graphic tools
- - Import text from a word processor, move and scale existing text frames, and check spelling
- - Use the line, pen, and geometric shape tools to draw complex graphic objects
- - Apply fill and stroke, specify process and spot colors, and design custom rules
- - Use Adobe Bridge to organize and manage your digital assets
- - Import and modify layered artwork from Photoshop and Illustrator
- - Create inline graphics and anchored objects that move automatically with your text from one page to the next
- - Create, edit, and link paragraph styles, complete with nested character styles
- - Apply a sequence of style sheets to format an entire document in one operation
- - Build object styles with embedded paragraph styles in order to format entire frames at a time
- - Use master pages to automate repeating page features
- - Automatically generate a table of contents
- - Compose a fully interactive document--with bookmarks, hyperlinks, buttons, sounds, and movies--and export your creation to a PDF file that can be played on most computers
"By the time you're finished with my book, you'll be ready to take on any design challenge that comes your way," adds Deke. "You aren't going to waste time and you aren't going to need any other guides."
Advance Praise for Adobe InDesign CS3 One-on-One "Deke McClelland is a joy to watch present and in many ways more of a joy to read. Deke is best known for his work in Photoshop; however, one of Deke's best-kept secrets is his understanding of Adobe InDesign. Adobe InDesign CS3 has tons of little nuances and hidden features. Deke helps you uncover them all. Having used InDesign since version 1.0, I'm often surprised when I can learn a tip or trick that I hadn't seen before. When I read Deke's books, I always learn something new."
--Terry White -- Director, Creative Pro Sales, Adobe Systems, Inc.
Adobe InDesign CS3 One-on-One
Paperback: 560 pages; Publisher: O'Reilly Media, Inc.; Pap/Dvdr edition; Language: English; Dimensions: 10 x 7.9 x 1.3 inches
List Price: $54.99, your UGN Price: $34.64; You Save: $20.35 (37%)
One of the most award-winning technology writers, digital publishing guru Deke McClelland has written 85 books on computer graphics and design. An Adobe Certified Expert, Deke is a featured speaker at The InDesign Conference and a member of the PhotoshopWorld Instructor Dream Team. He hosts hundreds of hours of tutorial-style video training for industry leader lynda.com, which in 2007 won him both an Omni Award and The Videographer Award of Excellence. In 2002, Deke was inducted into the National Association of Photoshop Professionals' Photoshop Hall of Fame.
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Discuss Design & Desktop Publishing : in the Designers' CAFE
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Discuss Photoshop at Photoshop 911
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network