Four Thirds lenses
... now supported for major camera brands
Olympus Imaging, Panasonic, and Sigma Corporation have joined forces to launch an online firmware update service that will enable users to easily update the firmware in interchangeable DSLR lenses compliant with the Four Thirds System Standard, even when the camera and lens are not made by the same manufacturer. Scheduled to start on October 15, 2008, this new joint service is the first of its kind in the industry*.
The way it works is simple. After mounting the lens on the camera, the user can go online and update the lens firmware by downloading the latest lens firmware. Previously, lens firmware could only be updated when the lens was mounted on a camera made by the same manufacturer -- for example, an Olympus lens on an Olympus camera or a Panasonic lens on a Panasonic camera. If the mounted lens was not made by the same manufacturer as the camera, then the lens firmware could not be updated regardless of whether or not the mounted lens is compliant with the Four Thirds System Standard.
This new service makes it possible to update the firmware of a Panasonic lens on an Olympus camera or vice versa. Similarly, the firmware in a Sigma lens can also be updated on either an Olympus or Panasonic camera. For more details, please click on one of the following links. The information provided also includes details on firmware updating.
*Sigma lens firmware does not need updating as of October 15, 2008.
* As of October 15, 2008, according to Olympus data.
* The company names, product names and technology names specified in this release are the trademarks or registered trademarks of each company.
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Discuss Design & Desktop Publishing : in the Designers' CAFE
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Discuss Photoshop at Photoshop 911
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network