Page 3: &Else :: News & Reviews for 2008
- Ableton Live 7 Tips & Tricks Ableton Live usually associated with performers rather than software for Musicians, DJs, remixers, composers, and producers -- it's fast becoming the universal software studio.
- Call for Speakers Graphics of the Americas 2009 is opening its call for speakers to participate in the 34th annual event being held February 26-28, 2009 at the Miami Beach Convention Center -- creatives are invited to participate...
- HTML snippets for Typinator Typinator will insert the correct corresponding HTML code for you! With more than100 abbreviations for elements of the HTML 4.01 standard, Typinator may just be a saving grace for Mac web coders who don't use BBEdit's glossery functions!
- Batch conversion comes to Mac How many times have you wanted to convert a folder of files from one format to another? Well, with Dragoman, you can convert just about any format, including medial files, in batch mode.
- Apimac Slideshow adds new features Apimac Slideshow is some pretty cool shareware for multimedia presentations, and portfolios -- giving Mac OS users the ability to create multi-platform slideshows or export to DVD.
- Image Editor for Mac OS X Nolobe Introduces Iris - The Ultimate Image Editor for Mac OS X powerful, intuitive, and easy to use solution for all your photo editing needs -- with a unique and elegant one-window interface, that can render confusing multiple palettes obsolete.
- Is your paper GREEN? NewPage Corporation has plans to launch a 'Story' marketing campaign and new Web site, www.PaperTellsAStory.com, to help educate consumers on the importance of knowing the manufacturing source of the paper used for their companies' business printing.
- Print It! This great program has been around for quite a while, and it just keeps getting better and better. It's simple, but powerful -- you can select and print (or save) just the data you need -- from anywhere -- screen, web, documents... anywhere.
- Free Clip Art from Jumsoft... They're back -- with yet more great clip art icons for your presentations and publishing projects. Freshly drawn, this clip is well worth a look
- Remove grain from photos Today's digital cameras are far more capable of low-light photography than ever before. But with that benefit comes grainy photos. Now you simply drag an image on to Denoise and watch the magic
- It's a Comic Life Put yourself in the comics, and syndicate your own life for friends and relatives ... you got Comic when you got your Mac. But that one is skimpy compared to the new shareware upgrade ... Comic Life Magiq
- Slideshow Magic 5 Slideshow Magic 5: Turn photos into a movie -- this presentation tool offers rotate frames, a completely revamped interface, and more advanced slide titling options.
- Viveza comes to Aperture Viveza plug-in works seamlessly within Aperture -- allows Aperture users to selectively control light and color in photographic images without ever having to leave Aperture.
- Stylish image editing Pixelmator Draftsman GPU-powered image editing tool to create, edit, and enhance still images - features rulers, guides, grid, snap, color balance, auto enhance, curves, and polygonal lasso tools and much more.
- Create graphics for the screen Take a look at this cool graphics program... traditional graphical features like vectors, layers and filters along with exclusive features including variables, templates, factories. It's called "Opacity"
- DrawIt on the Mac DrawIt is unique in that it presents the user with a simple and clean interface, yet packs an impressive assortment of useful, professional grade features. You'll find it's an easy-to-use, vector-drawing and image editing application for Mac OS X
- The Land of Difficult People From Tibet to Mexico to the Balkans, every culture has its own cherished folktales. Now, Terrence L. Gargiulo and Gini Graham Scott, Ph.D share their wisdom for dealing with typical workplace characters drawn from the world's treasury of folk stories -- in the Land of Difficult People
- News: Pageflex Collaborates with Adobe Pageflex Collaborates with Adobe to Offer Adobe InDesign Server to Customers - New alliance enables users to generate variable data output with increased customization and flexibility
- Mystical Painter Bundle Bundle of product that includes Corel Painter X, Auto FX Mystical Tint Tone and Color, Auto FX Mystical Lighting, Training Videos by renowned Painter Master Jeremy Sutton, Mystical Tint Tone and Color Training Videos and Mystical Lighting Training Videos -- a savings of over $550
- Optimize Your Use of Logic Pro 8 Although Logic Pro 8 introduces many features which improve the program's accessibility and ease of use, it remains a powerful and complex piece of software. Fortunately, you've got Logic Pro 8 Tips and Tricks --
- Security: 1Password Mac or iPhone In today's world of dangerous online crime, your passwords are at risk -- they are the hacker or criminal's gateway to stealing your identity...
- Security: Backscatter Spam Dirty, rotten spammers are sending increasing amounts of specially crafted bounce emails that appear to be sent by the message recipient. In reality, it's a way the spammer can successfully skip anti-spam checks. We got hit. You will too.
- Security: Block Objectionable sites Parents! Employers! If you're running Macs, you'll want to check out this new utility for blocking internet sites based on many criteria including keywords! This is a great development for families ... app4mac CutX
- Rename lots of files at once... Nothing is more frustrating than dozens of folders with digital camera files all named with stupid numbering schemes. Now you can rename with meaningful names, all at the same time!
- Clean up that text If you saw the text messes I see on a daily basis -- in texts sent in by contributors, readers, and syndicators -- you would easily understand why I strongly advocate using this program for all kinds of test processing ... Clean Texte
- Business: TimeTable keeps you solvent At the end of the week, do you know how much your time cost? Do you know who, specifically, should pay for it? With TimeTable you can recover what you're worth by accurate time tracking
- Audio Editing with Adobe Audition Raising the bar for audio editors -- many are turning to Adobe Audition for functions they can't do in any of the many other programs available.
- Web: WYSIWYG HTML Editor If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times: "Give me a WYSIWYG html editor!" HyperEdit solves that problem and adds a lot of coding power as well ...
- Private File Sharing More than 100,000 Beta testers have now proven that there is a real market for privately sharing personal media. A unique new service now available
- Pope Benedict XVI gets The Saint John's Bible (Fred writes: ) Although having nothing to do with the world of computing, when this article was submitted, my first impulse was to publish it here -- after all, with today's world of instant publishing, blogs, wikis, and all manner of desktop publishing wizards, and on-demand printing -- isn't it nice to learn that for the first time in 500 years, there is a bible written, illustrated and bound completely, 100%, by hand! The Pope got the first one, but you purchase one of the 360 limited edition to be produced. But your order requires a reservation deposit of $115,000.00 ...
- WOWODC 2008 The WebObjects Community Association, BoxOffice Tickets and OS communications informatiques have announced plans for their WOWODC 2008, the annual conference dedicated to Apple's WebObjects Web development framework.
- Surviving the Economic Downturn The financial news of the past few weeks has left many a business owner panicked -- but David Giannett says you can actually use the economic downturn to create a better organization.
- VectorDesigner adds PDF and EPS import TweakerSoft has added PDF, EPS import and improved SVG import to their latest upgrade of VectorDesigner -- the perfect application for vector drawings, diagrams and illustrations, raster image handling, filtering and color correction
- Cool Clip Art from Jumsoft It's zippy, flippy, hippie, and trippie... you'll like Jumsoft's new collection of clip art! They say it's for Apple's Pages... but you can use it anywhere!
Morphing Images on Leopard Fred sez:
Morphing is one of the cooler manipulations you can do with images -- and Morph Age Pro now puts face recognition to work for itelligent morphing! Very cool.
- Codeless web sites If you would rather not dig under the hood and work directly with web html code, then Freeway 5 could be for you. With its traditional page layout approach, Freeway makes it easy to create dynamic websites without the need to write code.
- HUGO Create The aim of the challenge is to give designers, illustrators and photographers the chance to show the world their abilities by the creation of a stunning tribute to the iconic HUGO Man bottle ... and win $500
- Zero-configuration CMS I've had bad experience with Joomla... it's geek CMS for geeks -- not normal people. If you want a high-power CMS without the geek, get MovableType... if you want really easy, quick CMS, then you need to check out SkyBlueCanvas
- FotoMagico Sharing Assistant The new Sharing Assistant makes it super easy to create the files you want for making a DVD, putting them on your iPod, iPhone or Apple TV, or playing in full quality on another Mac. PDEE (Personal Digital Export Expert)
- Doozla Drawing for Kids! Here's a new full screen vector drawing application for kids that will knock you out! Doozla features simple free-hand drawing and color tools, webcam & tablet support, entertaining color-in templates and inspiring background images.
- Drag-and-drop Website creation If you're one of those who wants to spend time developing your life and not your website, you might want to take a look at Sandvox. It's really perfect for low-tech users without formal knowledge of web site production.
- Video Editing for the rest of us With the fiasco of iMovie 8, many movie lovers will be out of luck, and out in the cold until they discover MediaEdit. Apple has removed some of the most important video editing features and changed essential functions that have been the hallmark of producing good movies. Keep your iMovie 6, and get MediaEdit
- Mac runs your retail store? For some, running a retail operation with a Mac seems... well, just cool. Now it can be done, and done well. See Checkout
- SmileLab free Smile data visualization software, plotting interface makes easier to plot data by importing files, specifying intermediate computations and access display settings, all in the same interface -- for most people who need to visualize data, particularly engineers and students (Free Student License!)
- SiteGrinder comes to MAC This easy-to-use plug-in for Adobe Photoshop, effortlessly lets users convert their Photoshop designs into CSS-rich, standards-compliant webpages from within Photoshop with just a click of the mouse
- Tagging email power If you're a mail hoarder like I am, you may want to check out Indev Software's new release of MailTags 2.2. If you've been sorely disappointed with Apple's Mail.app, like I have, then you definitely need to take a look.
- Download YouTube Videos Something people have wanted to do for some time -- now available for the Mac
- Kenbushi Media Lava Software is now shipping Kenbushi Pro v7.3, free home server software containing a powerful media entertainment center (like AppleTV), file sharing and data backup functions.
- CONTINUES ON THE NEXT PAGE...
Thanks for reading...
Editor / Publisher, DT&G Magazine
Participate in your Design CenterLots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly email newsletter, and each month we'll send you a low-key text email with all the happenings in the Design Center along with regular columns like the Mail-Bag, Reader-Tips, and "Cool Sites"
- SUBSCRIBE to the DTG News email newsletter email discussion list (listserv) and join the ongoing discussions about design and publishing
HOW TO ADVERTISE When you advertise, your small contribution to the Design Center helps us continue the mission... and get's you lots and lots of traffic and visitors to your web site!