DATAform for InDesign CS4 and QuarkXPress 8
all properties can be defined within ASCII-textXChange UK and ThePowerXChange.com, the sources for extended technology worldwide are pleased to announce the DATAform module for both InDesign CS4 and QuarkXPress 8. DATAform is available as a plug-in for Adobe InDesign or an XTensions module for QuarkXPress that provides a bi-directional connection between a user's database and the layout application.
DATAform is a fully featured database publishing tool with three main features: Create documents, Export documents and Update documents.
With DATAform, any programmable database can be used to create complete and sophisticated layout documents. Using DATAformTags, any InDesign or QuarkXPress boxes and all of their properties can be defined within ASCII-text and created in the layout program. There are more than 70 DATAformTags to deal with almost every aspect of InDesign or QuarkXPress, such as:
- - Create new documents
- - Create new pages
- - Create boxes on a specific page and position
- - Create text boxes with any formatted content
- - Create picture boxes, load, scale, offset the picture
- - Create chained text boxes over many pages
- - Create anchored text and picture boxes or lines
Utilising a single ASCII-file, the user can create an entire catalogue -- ready to print or ready for manual finishing by the designer. The database generated boxes and content can be modified in InDesign or QuarkXPress like any other manually created boxes. To update a database, DATAform translates the layout document -- or parts of it -- into a DATAformTags text file again. The ASCII-file contains all information about the document and the database is able to reimport and maintain every piece of information, such as:
- - Reimport all document properties
- - Reimport the new page position of each box
- - Reimport over 70 properties of each box
- - Reimport the text of all text boxes optionally with XPressTags
- - Reimport the picture paths of picture boxes
- - Reimport all scaling and offset specifications of pictures
- - Reimport the complete chaining information of chained text boxes
- - Reimport all anchored boxes and lines and their anchor position
If the contents of a database have changed, e.g. due to a new set of prices, the database updates the InDesign or QuarkXPress document. The designer's finishing or work remains unchanged and just the contents of boxes will be replaced.
DATAform plug-in for InDesign CS4 or DATAform XTensions for QuarkXPress 8, as well as earlier versions, is available now through XChange UK or ThePowerXChange.com via electronic delivery worldwide. To order, or for more information, users can visit www.xchangeuk.com, or call on +44(0)845 259 0255 during UK business hours. Email address is email@example.com. Or visit www.thepowerxchange.com, or call on +1(877)940-0600 during U.S. business hours.
Tami Stodghill is the press-relations manager, for world-wide extensible-technology distributors London-based XChange International and US-based ThePowerXChange.com. She has been in the graphics design and publishing industry for 18 years and makes her home in Page-Lake Powell, Arizona, where she enjoys boating and reading.
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Discuss Design & Desktop Publishing : in the Designers' CAFE
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Discuss Photoshop at Photoshop 911
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network