Mellel word processor for Mac OS X
QuickLook support, Spread views, and many other new featuresRedleX Mellel 2.6 is a major update to the leading word processor for Mac OS X. Mellel does it differntly. And better. Again. Mellel 2.6, released today by RedleX, adds QuickLook support, Spread views, and many other new features, all marked by Mellel's well-known tradition of trying to make features work better, even if that means making them work differently.
"With Mac OS X 10.5 Apple introduced a wonderful new feature called QuickLook, which allow you to peep into documents without opening them," says Eyal Redler, RedleX's CTO. "The default for word processor documents, however, was only so-so: the document was not divided into pages, elements like footnotes were missing or misplaced, images were not placed correctly or, in short, it did not look like a PDF. We wanted our QuickLook previews to look like a PDF."
Which is exactly what they do. Mellel document viewed with QuickView look exactly like they would look in Mellel or in print. No compromises. In addition, to save time waiting for the full preview, you can set in the preferences the number of pages you wish to preview.
Another new feature in Mellel 2.6 is the new "Spread View": Mellel now support viewing documents in single page view, two page view, four page view and 'spread' (facing pages together). "It's not the most important feature in the world," says Redler, "but even the little features deserve to be done right."
And they are done right. The new 'Spread' view, for example, takes into consideration the page numbering, and displays odd pages alone when they need to be displayed alone.
Mellel 2.6 introduces many more new features. 25 more new features and enhancements, to be exact. Here are some of the more interesting among those:
* Automatic update: Mellel now supports automatic or manual updates. No more work: Mellel tells you when there is an updates, tells you if it is a free update for you, downloads it, installs it and runs Mellel again.
* Better statistics: the statistics palette is conveniently organised and one can fine-tune what characters will not be included in the count (e.g. punctuation or blank characters).
* Save as PDF: directly.
* Improved CJK: Mellel supports exporting and importing Chinese, Japanese and Korean in several encodings, which vastly improves handling of older documents in those languages.
* Smart style matching: with imported documents or documents with ad-hoc attributes, Mellel will smartly 'sense' the attributes in the text and match them. For example, if one applies a style to text with font in boldface, Mellel will look within the style for a style variation in boldface.
* Windows Hebrew fonts: Mellel now displays vowel marks with most Windows Hebrew fonts (in other OS X apps those fonts are do not function with Hebrew at all).* And more: Mellel 2.6 offers several other enhancements and includes dozens of bug fixes.
Pricing and Availability:
Mellel 2.6 is free to all registered users of Mellel who've purchased Mellel after December 2006. Users who've purchased Mellel earlier can purchase an upgrade ($19 USD).
RedleX was founded in 2002 by Eyal and Ori Redler. The company is privately held and headquartered in Tel Aviv, Israel. Copyright 2002-2009 RedleX. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, and QuickLook are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries. - Tel Aviv, Israel - Published on 01/20/09
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Discuss Design & Desktop Publishing : in the Designers' CAFE
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Discuss Photoshop at Photoshop 911
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network