The Nikon D90 Companion
Practical Photography Advice You Can Take Anywhere
The Nikon D90 camera has exploded on the digital photography market, with a myriad of new features, including the industry-first HD video capability. Even better, the camera comes with a manual that details each and every button in reasonably clear language.
But as author Ben Long says, "Knowing what each button on your camera does won't necessarily mean you can shoot great pictures." That's the idea behind his newest book in O'Reilly Media's Companion series: "The Nikon D90 Companion"
While the automatic systems in the Nikon D90 mean you can shoot snapshots that are almost always properly exposed and possessed of great color, if you want to go further and create images that express something more than a simple documentation of an event, then you need to know something of the art of photography.
This book is intended to serve as a full-on photography class, one that covers everything including technical matters and exposure theory, composition theory, and how to find images and expand your visual sense. However, unlike a regular photography class, this book is built specifically around the D90, which means every concept is written about in terms of the D90's controls and features.
With Long's creative tips and technical advice, you have the perfect field reference to help you capture stunning pictures anywhere, anytime. "The Nikon D90 Companion" will show you how to:
- Take creative control and go beyond automatic settings
- Capture decisive moments, including fast-moving objects
- Discover ways to use a flash indoors and outdoors
- Learn about different lenses and when to use them
- Understand the options for shooting RAW and whether it's right for you
- Shoot high-definition video with the D90
By the time you're done with this book, you'll not only know how all the D90's controls function, but you'll also know how to recognize a good photo and how to use the D90's controls to represent that subject as a compelling image. In other words, you'll be a better photographer, whether you're shooting simple snapshots or aiming for something more.
Ben Long, producer and videographer, is the author of "The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D Companion," "The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion," and Real World Aperture among others. He also maintains the Complete Digital Photography website.
The Nikon D90 Companion
285 pages, US $24.99
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Participate in your Design Center
Lots of fun and information for all... don't forget, any community is only as good as the participation of its members. We invite your tips, tricks, comments, suggestions and camaraderie.
- Ask for the DT&G Monthly: to receive DT&G newsletter each month, happenings in the Design Center and regular columns like the "Mail Bag" and "Cool Sites"
- Discuss Design & Desktop Publishing : in the Designers' CAFE
- Link to this site, and then show us the link. We'll send you any of our current door prizes, just for your trouble.
- Discuss Photoshop at Photoshop 911
- SUBMIT: a news link, new font, or product review
- REVIEW a website: posted by our readers
- SUBMIT a Website: for review in Web Design & Review
- Submit a Critique: of a popular web site, or YOUR web site!
- WIN PRIZES: in our "Question of the Month" column
- Meet Friends of the Design Center people who care!
- Become a Friend of the Design Center: and put your link on the front page
- Submit News, Views or your latest press release
- Submit your Software Review: shareware, freeware, fonts, graphics, utilities -- if you've found software you like, let DT&G readers know about it!
Learning, training, tips, tricks, and moreThe Design Bookshelf team reads and reviews the best books for the creative visual designer, desktop publishing practitioner and visual communicator. If you want to know it -- we'll show you the very best way to learn it... in the Designer's Bookshelf
Get more out of your computer: join a user group - There are computer clubs around the world called "user groups" where you find fellow computer users ready and willing to share a wealth of information. If you're not a UG member, you should be.. find a group at the User Group Network