This year we could hardly pass up the opportunity to bring this tutorial just in time for the spring holiday season! Enjoy this Easter tutorial from that designing woman, Ainseley Bevis -- and if you haven't explored all the uses of Adobe Illustrator's Pathfinder tool, here's your chance!! Ainseley writes :
Learn how to create a fun Easter Themed collage, we’ll be creating Easter Eggs, a hatching Bird and a Bunny Face from scratch in Adobe Illustrator and arranging it into an Easter Egg shape. We’ll also be adding some finishing touches in Adobe Photoshop. Final Result
1. Create a new document that’s 600×600 pixels. Select the Ellipse Tool and draw a circle while holding down the Shift key (to keep the shape perfect), I’m using the colour #6ED5F9.
Select the circle with the Direct Selection Tool, and click on the Top Anchor Point, select the top anchor point again and drag up to create an egg shape.
2. Make copies ... Click on the egg, and drag away while holding down the Alt Key to duplicate. Do this 2 times.
Striped Easter Egg
3. Select 2 of the eggs with the Selection Tool and drag away. On remaining egg, select the Rectangle Tool and draw a thin black shape like below. Duplicate the shape and separate it like below. Select all the black shapes, the egg and click on the Minus Front Icon in Pathfinder.
4. Drag the 2nd easter egg back onto the canvas. Select the Pen Tool (Fill: none & Stroke: black 1px). Draw a zigzag across the egg like below. Select the egg and zigzag and click on the Divide icon in Pathfinder. With the shape still selected, go to Object > Ungroup or click Shift + CTRL + G to separate the shape into 2 parts.
Select the top part with the Selection Tool, drag away and rotate like below.
5. Duplicate the leftover egg shape and place it on the bottom part of the egg, right click > Arrange > Send to Back to place it behind. Make the colour #FFC200. Select the shape with the Selection Tool and drag the top down to make it smaller.
6. Using the Pen Tool, draw some hair on top of the bird. Next select the Ellipse Tool and draw some eyes using black or dark grey. Using the Pen Tool again finish the bird off with a beak.
NEXT: We'll build the Easter Bunny
... continues on the next page!