Hurry . . . The Sidney Hillman Foundation is accepting entries for the 2015 Hillman Prizes which honor investigative journalism and commentary in the public interest. But you've got to get nominations in . . . DEADLINE JANUARY 30 January 26, 2015
Sooner or later you're going to end up in that period of life when your peer group's parents are passing away, and you're dealing with wills, living wills, trusts, closing estates and so forth. When my Mom passed away we had no keys, no passwords and no way to close her online life other than certified letters and Fed-ex overnight packs. Four years later, there are still some unresolved. Have you considered your personal, digital exit plan? If you don't have a digital will, you'd better read this article and get one before it's too late. December 29, 2014
Mainstream news and online sharing stimulates conversations for some of the most ‘talked about’ research articles this year. Alternative metrics provider Altmetric LLP has looked at the top 100 academic papers receiving the most online attention in 2014 – and the conversations happening around them. December 16, 2014
Here we go . . . the LAST Creative Tidbits column for 2014. Say goodbye to the year, and get yourself ready to ramp up in January. A lot happened in the year, and you can go back and find more than twenty Creative columns in 2014. Have fun earning from these:
- The New Pantone 'Color of the Year' for 2015 is Pantone 18-1438 Marsala
- A New Book Examines the History of Graphic Design in California
- Royal College of Art releases GraphicsRCA: Fifty Years book
- interview with illustrator and designer jean jullien
- Artists launch street sculpture exhibit program
- Brewing up a new identity for Coffee Officina
- Illustrator is inspired by the Westcountry
- Buy A Logo - 10 Tips For Better Design
- Ten Questions for: Fernando Gutiérrez
- ... and more!
We never seem to slow down, but in many situations the creative spirit needs 'rest' -- so sit down and take it easy while you go through this week's creative tidbits. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Looking at the artwork of the Criterion Collection
- The Colorful History of California Graphic Design
- Design App is Apple's App of the Year runner-up
- A Photo Exhibit That Examines Climate Change
- Inside the Cinelli and Columbus factories
- How big data is revolutionizing design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Graphic Design
- How To Design A Killer Gig Poster
- Why Aren’t You Creative?
- ... and more! December 10, 2014
Getting ready to wrap up the year opens the slow season. However creativity for designers, illustrators, painters, photographers, typographers and anyone involved in the creative processes, or visual communications will not slow down. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Polk State Was a Beginning, and Without It, I Wouldn’t Be Where I am Today
- 5 Easy Ways To Create A Brilliant Background For Your LinkedIn Profile
- This Graphic Translates Web Design Feedback into Plain English
- LEGO BRICK: pinhole camera snaps tiny thumbnail-sized 'photos'
- I am the Jackie Robinson of Hip Hop Graphic Design!
- How optical illusions trick your brain
- Art Department Faculty Work Featured at the Kellogg Gallery
- Cincinnati Design Awards honors wide range of local projects
- ... and more!
- Paul McCartney and Nick Cave contribute hand drawn artwork for Alzheimer's Society
- $50 Discount to HOW Design Live Conference in Chicago, May 2015
- The 5 most common design mistakes in digital signage
- What deserves Cincy’s ‘Razzies’ of design?
- Translating print skills to Web design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Logo Design
- ... and more!
As many of you know I've been an avid spam fighter and anti-spam advocate since the dawn of email. You may remember several articles I've written over the past two decades about SpamCop. Well, with great sadness, in this edition, I bid farewell to Spamcop. November 4, 2014
From the first designs for the DT&G and Design Center branding, the ampersand played a big part. Even as we rolled out printed newsletters, t-shirts, coffee mugs and all, the bright red Ampersand carried our look. We had no idea in 1988 that some day there would be a web site called "Pinterest" with more ampersands than one person could see in a lifetime! Wow. September 30, 2014
Sometimes I run into conversations that I just can't resist passing along. Such is this one I ran across on LinkedIn. But what are your thoughts with asked "What's the most overused font of contemporary design?" I have my ideas, and you'd expect passionate responses from any designer of some background and knowledge. Let's see what the LinkedIn graphic design professionals believe the answer is. . . September 13, 2014