You may remember my 2002 post about Steven Heller's "Citizen Designer." Milton Glaser often says, "Good design is good citizenship." So, we decided to go out on the limb a decade later and ask the same question amongst a cross section of Designers today. The responses we got are somewhat amazing! Is the graphic designer as accountable as the marketing and publicity departments for the propagation of a message or idea? Be careful, don't answer until you've read this. June 16, 2015
This is the one you've been waiting for! Typographics is an ambitious two-day typography conference, surrounded by two weeks of workshops and events, planned for this June at The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York City. Organized by Cooper's Type@Cooper and the Herb Lubalin Study Center of Design and Typography, the conference provides a platform for designers to share broad perspectives on where typography is today and where it is going. June 5, 2015
Do graphic designers have a social responsibility? Is good design good citizenship? Should graphic designers have a willingness to lie? All these questions are tested and expanded by world-class designer, thinker and author Steven Heller in this interview from the pages of DT&G Magazine May 26, 2015
What if you enlist the talents of world-class graphic designers with the Hellman-Hammett program for aiding writers to address some of the toughest human rights issues around the world in a magazine? HUMAN is the publication, and this issue is designed by Milton Glaser and Walter Bernard! May 25, 2015
Did you remember Mothers' day in your media plans? Never pass up the opportunity to market and spread the PR of your clients. Spring is a fun and lucritive season as people come out of the winter doldrums and begin shopping again. Be on your toes ... May 13, 2015
Rolling into the summer vacation season, a lot of markets will be picking up that special book, magazine or whitepaper to take along on the trip. You're clients will be wanting to put their best foot forwared. We found these to be excellent reads, and even included some design to go along . . .
- What is a magazine? Media reporters often see the web as the answer
- The case for, and against, integrated print-digital newsrooms
- The Brutally Honest Truth about Ghostwriting
- 5 Truths of Audience Monetization
- Common print design mistakes
The spring represents some special interests for graphic designers -- end of school, beginning of the summer buy and travel wave. Here are some starters to get your creative juices flowing :
- Pentagram's New School Rebrand: Best Thing Ever Or Unbearable Monstrosity?
- Perfect archives for collage artists, designers and collectors
- "Happy Town" by Katsumi Tamura wins Golden A' Design Award
- New Photography Acquisitions at Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- TypeTalk: How Good Typography Can Help Your Job Search
- UVU arts grads present final projects showcase
- Vordik Designer Spotlight: Damian Watracz
- Exhibit shows art of design legend
- Putting a typeface to the name
- ... and more !
When I saw the series of photos shot across 4 decades I knew this was going to be a good edition of Creative Tidbits! Hope you enjoy this edition -- and if you can guess all those circle movie posters, let me know!
- Getting Closer to the California Print Junkie Who Designed Jay Z's "Holy Grail"
- Astonishing series of photographs of four sisters shot every year for 40 years
- Could Graphic Design Help People Better Relate To Each Other?
- Interview : My Instagram: Lauren O'Neil
- Dust & Noise Overlay Textures
- Can you name the movie?
lphaCorr is proud to announce today the second release of Folding Genius for Adobe Illustrator. Folding Genius is intended for AI users who need folded 3D visualization of their existing dieline design files for corrugated packaging and point-of-purchase displays. Supporting Adobe Illustrator versions CS6, CC and CC2014 on both Mac and Windows, the Folding Genius plug-in works from within Illustrator to animate and render folded cartons, boxes and displays with their graphics, then exports to 3D PDF. March 13, 2015
Finding more and more inspiration from people doing creative things! I really enjoyed this edition, particularly the football helmits thing and the iSaber piece . . .
- Design is everything (not made by nature) for Penn State alumnus Chip Kidd
- Meet the Graphic Design Mastermind Behind the Best Part of the Oscars
- Graphic Artists Take Shots At New Steelers Helmet Designs
- Designed by Apple in Tatooine: the iSaber light saber
- Berman: Romancing the ink stains in Eastern Market
- 6 Women Rocking Tech for Good
- ... and more on the way!
- 1 of 27