Use your device's camera to snap a picture, then the snapshot becomes your subject. Magically "sketch" the photo's subject using one of handPaint's many tools (magic brush, neon marker, sketch pen, or magic pencil) to create hand drawn effects with photo quality precision. August 21, 2013
It's back to (Design) School time again, and we're touching on hundreds of different learning opportunities this month, so hang on to your hats and follow along . . .
* Learning lessons of design and delivering the message
* Lots and lots of portraits on DeviantArt.com . . .
* Portfolio Help from Adobe CS6
* If Facebook Had Designers
* How to learn Photoshop
* A-Z of Unusual Words
... and more ! August 1, 2013
Design & Publishing Center NEWSLETTER
Vol. 23, #8 - AUGUST, 2013
01 BACK TO DESIGN SCHOOL . . .
02 Getting ideas and design inspiration by looking at unusual beer bottle label designs
03 Product labeling and packaging study for inspiration and design ideas
04 Best books for learning Design, Typography & Graphics
05 Photoshop (Video) Madness for Back to School
06 Tutorial: Using Adobe Photoshop to Draw a Paint Brush
07 PSD Tutorial : 4 dotted line drawing methods in Photoshop
08 Natural Newborn Baby Photography: A Guide to Posing, Shooting, and Business
09 60-Second Window #300 : Junk Mail Names
10 Jordan Rudess brings musical apps to the iPad or iPhone that WOW the world
11 Creative Graphic Design: Learning Design, Typography & Graphics
12 Creative Inspiration: Sagmeister Happy Show, Design for Good, Awards and more
13 Creative learning: Harry Potter design, HOW Design, UCLan Graphic Design, and Awards
14 Modern Photo Editor for iOS: Full Resolution Image Editing to 8 MP
15 &Else . . . News, Views & Reviews
16 ALERTS POSTED : Protect yourself and friends from online evils
17 SEPTEMBER: FALL FONTS FESTIVAL
18 August is racing toward the fall . . . August 1, 2013
One of the best ways to learn and practice design, typography and illustration is to emulate (not "copy") the works of others. Like this collection of wonderfully unique and rare bottles and bottle labels for Tequila! Here are designs you probably won't find in your local stores . . . enjoy! July 29, 2013
Each year I like to do a round-up of the design books we've reviewed -- but this year is different. There have been so few published I'm including several from previous years. While the digital book, ebook and Kindle books have become hugely popular -- when it comes to learning graphic design, printed books still have the most power for learning. Buy any (all) of these, and you'll automatically know more than most other designers in your market. July 29, 2013
We're rolling into the school season with Back to Design School, here are some great inspirations and idea starters to get you moving to September . . .
* Meet The Duo Behind The Graphic Design Wizardry Of "Harry Potter”
* The Next Closest Thing to HOW Design Live
* The first issue of Container 'magazine'
* Talent Spotters: UCLan Graphic Design
* New - Xara Page & Layout Designer
* Jamie wins top national award
... and more ! July 25, 2013
Hope you've had a great summer, as many of us continue back into the school season, here are some great inspirations and idea starters for August . . .
* Stefan Sagmeister’s The Happy Show Is at the Chicago Cultural Center
* 'Revel on the Block' promotes creativity, community and local business
* Students Recognized by 'Design for Good' Project
* Winners of SEGD Global Design Awards 2013
* Trust me, you’re not a graphic designer
* Contemporary Arts Museum gets graphic
... and more ! July 19, 2013
June and July are brought to you by the letter J, so here, we've found some Jays for you. Along with that we continue the creative quest for cool stuff. Enjoy
* June and July are brought to you by the letter J
* Big JAY Alphabet art . . . personalized prints
* Jays poster for JULY
* Pen Tool Cheat Sheet, techniques : 'Zen of the Pen'
* Extraordinary Pen Tool Work :: Marcus Vinicius
* Talent Spotters: Lincoln School of Art & Design
* Design Studio course explores social issue
. . . and more! July 2, 2013
More great lettering in this Creative update, along with a designer with a cause, children's graphics and even Google now pays homage to Saul Bass!
* Metamorphosis Urban Revitalization Mural Design Transforms A Public Space
* Anthony Nolan Connects the Dots in Identity package
* The National Design Award Winners Announced
* A lesson about designing ugly PowerPoints
* Patricia got us going on and on and on
* Like Minded Studios . . . Wow
* Rebranding olive oil
... and more ! July 2, 2013
Table of Contents : What's here:
* 01 Greetings to JULY . . .
* 02 Let me send you some free Design books :
* 03 July Creative Two, Too
* 04 Creative inspiration Summertime, outdoors, awards, ugly Powerpoints
* 05 Vintage Art : wonderful tags, cards and cigar labels for decorative reference
* 06 Photoshop Madness: JULY Flags and other madness
* 07 Karen negotiates for a salary in a design position at a design firm
* 08 Magazine Apps: Why So Bloated?
* 09 Turn Gigantic Print Reference Content into Lightweight Apps
* 10 Customize the Way You Display
* 11 Procreate app Sketch, paint, create wins Apple's Design Award at WWDC 2013
* 12 Ji Lee: bubbles to words to pictures to books . .
* 13 Marketing Update : baseball, apple pie, and marketing
* 14 Marketing Update : Learning from the past, Lead dynamics
* 15 Marketing Update : Charts, Videos, Banners, and Mix Thoroughly
* 16 Publishing Update - profits vs downfall? Printing predictions
* 17 Next Month : AUGUST is BACK TO (DESIGN) SCHOOL
* Final words from the Editor July 1, 2013