As we embark on this year's "Women's History Month" someone mentioned that fashion plays a huge role in societal development -- and that some of the world's most beloved fashion designers are women! So we pulled from the Design-bookshelf's playbook and opened these books that follow a bit of the path of fashion. The samples we've included here are drawings or actual clip art that appeared in publications. They all give a visual waltz through the 19th and 20th centuries of fashion! Enjoy! February 25, 2015
Every year one individual seems to stand out from the rest -- captivating our interest and admiration. In 2008 it was Luba Lukova; in 2010 it was Jessica Hische; ten years ago it was Nena Anderson -- there are many others, and they all have one thing in common. Beside their extraordinary talent they share a unique perspective of vision along with an entrepreneurial spirit that takes them to the top of their field! Lois van Baarle epitomizes those qualities -- and is our Designing Woman for March 2015! February 25, 2015
March is "Women's History Month" and each year for the past twenty years, we've celebrated with a guided tour of some of the best designing women we could find in the world. Some of these were actually sent in by readers, others were discovered online by staff. . Ladies and gentlemen, we present the 20th Annual Designing Women edition surf 1 :
- UN Women ad series reveals widespread sexism
- Hallie McGee ~ Designer + Creative
- How the Media Failed Women in 2013
- Nicoz Balboa: Magical Mystery Wood
- Anita Wasik : Divine Vision
- Liz Clements : the fine pen
- Three Designing Women
- Luci Gutiérrez
- Ena Cardenal
- ... and more to come!
Celebrating Women's History Month won't be complete without taking a look at some of the spectacular work created by women in the art and publishing world. Many of us were raised on these illustrations. A whole generation enjoyed books and reading as the favored diversion -- there were no TVs, computers or other visual medias. Enjoy these samples from the book! February 23, 2015
Dover passed along this book right at the right time -- our 20th Annual Designing Women edition! Marilyn Monroe was an icon of the silver screen picture era, and what a great addition to this year's "Women's History" month celebration . . . sample photos, and a lot more in the Bookshelf February 21, 2015
For the 20th March, welcome to the first Designing Women edition of 2015. Where do you find creative inspiration? Watching others in the creative processes is the best way to get those creative juices flowing. I thought we would get started a little early because there's so much content to cover. :
- Kemistry's Graham McCallum on 100 years of design changing technology
- 16 Iconic Creations by Architecture and Design Power Couples
- Designing Women: designer becomes top creative 'crowdsourcer'
- This is beading on steroids ... down south of the border
- The Military’s Graphic Design War On Venereal Disease
- Designing Women: New school design and website ...
- The works of Jean Jullien ... an interview
- When Harry Met Sally Met Graphic Design
- 12000 free outline icons
- ... and more !
The 19th Annual Designing Women Edition presents Designing Women of Europe! In celebration of Women's History Month, last month, we celebrated Designing Women in the USA, this month we celebrate these outstanding women designers from Poland, Spain, England, and all points around Europe. These are also highlighted with samples, descriptions and links to their sites in our Designing Women pages! Enjoy April 1, 2014
The 19th Annual Designing Women Edition presents Designing Women of central and South America in a celebration of Women's History Month, last month, we celebrated Designing Women in the USA and Europe, now celebrate these outstanding women designers from Ecuador, Costa Rica, Columbia, Argentina, El Salvador, Venezuela, Brazil, Bolivia and points south, below the equator. Take this tour and you'll also find highlighted samples and links to their sites once you click into the Gallery pages pages! Enjoy April 1, 2014
Number FOUR is our final surf for this year's 19th Annual Designing Women edition. We wrap it up with these extraordinary visual creatives.
* Most Popular Social Media Sites Review: Why Women Are The Real Power
* Sarah Yates a.k.a. Faunagraphic duz Walls and all
* Fresh, fun, brilliant works of Amanda Grazini
* Gina Kiel illustration & spirit down under
* Cris Delara : NOT just pinups!
... and more! March 26, 2014
We continue the 19th Annual Designing Women edition surf with this third round of extraordinary designers.
* Jackie Matelski: Toast Ceramics simple, graphic design and comfort food
* Sweet C : Make a Chalkboard Effect in Photoshop
* The excellent hand lettering of Martina Flor
* Kerry Butters : Designing with words
* Katherine brings your: Soul To Call
* Ariane's Design Dimensionality
... and more to come! March 14, 2014