There are many, many fans of steampunk style which is a large subgenre of science fiction and fantasy. These images have been inspired by technology and aesthetic designs from the 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery ~ set in an Art Nouveau era as an alternate history. Lots of readers saw our Steampunk Spectacular from last Halloween and send in their examples January 12, 2016
When James Gurney's Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time first appeared in 1992, it was immediately hailed as a fully imagined world of the caliber of J. R. R. Tolkien's! Gurney's premise — of an undiscovered island where a race of mystical humans co-exists in harmony with intelligent dinosaurs — has been since reiterated over and over in numerous films and by scores of other writers. December 18, 2015
When you need software to do a specific job, little else comes close. You want to quickly visualize a concept; illustrate a point; diagram a plan? Use your finger! Instaviz 2.0, a major rewrite of the first and best iOS diagram sketcher. Users can sketch, refine and share their diagrams, mind maps, flowcharts and concept maps even faster and easier on the new version. July 30, 2015
So here we go into summer's creative jam and designers' vacation! Get creative inspiration from your summer activities -- here are some starters to get your creative juices flowing :
- First look: two new digital magazines make unusual screenshot and icon choices
- Positive computing: technology for wellbeing and human potential
- 15 Practical Design Tweaks For Your Website In 2015
- 7 Tips for Creating Successful Infographics
- First Principles of Interaction Design
- 5 Ways to Find Creative Inspiration
Here comes some real fun for graphic deisgners for the summer of 2015 ... enjoy and don't forget to send in your photos from the summer!
- DESIGN VACATION... JUNE 2015
- Photoshop Tutorial : Blazing Fire Sketch Effects
- Citizen Designer : should graphic designers have social responsibility?
- 60-Seconds #323 : Future history - the coming of a Digital Dark Age
- Design Giants Glaser and Bernard Produce Human Rights Magazine
- Masterworks of American Modernism from New York to New Mexico
- Publishing Update 1505-15 : Digital Media, Publishing, content, print, and DTP
- You cannot innovate into the future until you understand the past
- Social Media Update : infographics, strategy, readership, and SEO
- iPad Etiquette: using iPads in your presentations
- Art Authority Announces Year Five of Its Intern Program for Art Majors
- One thing most designers and creative professionals lack that will kill profits
- &Else News, Views and Reviews
- JULY: Digital Photography
- August and Summertime Design
The spring represents some special interests for graphic designers -- end of school, beginning of the summer buy and travel wave. Here are some starters to get your creative juices flowing :
- Pentagram's New School Rebrand: Best Thing Ever Or Unbearable Monstrosity?
- Perfect archives for collage artists, designers and collectors
- "Happy Town" by Katsumi Tamura wins Golden A' Design Award
- New Photography Acquisitions at Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- TypeTalk: How Good Typography Can Help Your Job Search
- UVU arts grads present final projects showcase
- Vordik Designer Spotlight: Damian Watracz
- Exhibit shows art of design legend
- Putting a typeface to the name
- ... and more !
When I saw the series of photos shot across 4 decades I knew this was going to be a good edition of Creative Tidbits! Hope you enjoy this edition -- and if you can guess all those circle movie posters, let me know!
- Getting Closer to the California Print Junkie Who Designed Jay Z's "Holy Grail"
- Astonishing series of photographs of four sisters shot every year for 40 years
- Could Graphic Design Help People Better Relate To Each Other?
- Interview : My Instagram: Lauren O'Neil
- Dust & Noise Overlay Textures
- Can you name the movie?
Finding more and more inspiration from people doing creative things! I really enjoyed this edition, particularly the football helmits thing and the iSaber piece . . .
- Design is everything (not made by nature) for Penn State alumnus Chip Kidd
- Meet the Graphic Design Mastermind Behind the Best Part of the Oscars
- Graphic Artists Take Shots At New Steelers Helmet Designs
- Designed by Apple in Tatooine: the iSaber light saber
- Berman: Romancing the ink stains in Eastern Market
- 6 Women Rocking Tech for Good
- ... and more on the way!
Where does creative inspiration come from? It can appear when you least expect it -- or you can go looking for it, which is what we do! Follow along with our next quest for people doing creative stuff that will inspire us!
- New Cleveland Browns Logo 'Uninspired, Boring': A Graphic Designer's Take
- Graphic designer, eh? More or less creatively satisfying
- Sewickley painter turns hobby into successful career
- UCF exhibit illustrates art's healing power
- No One Takes Graphic Designers Seriously
- Grab a set of SIX great wood textures
- ... and more on the way!
For the 20th March, welcome to the first Designing Women edition of 2015. Where do you find creative inspiration? Watching others in the creative processes is the best way to get those creative juices flowing. I thought we would get started a little early because there's so much content to cover. :
- Kemistry's Graham McCallum on 100 years of design changing technology
- 16 Iconic Creations by Architecture and Design Power Couples
- Designing Women: designer becomes top creative 'crowdsourcer'
- This is beading on steroids ... down south of the border
- The Military’s Graphic Design War On Venereal Disease
- Designing Women: New school design and website ...
- The works of Jean Jullien ... an interview
- When Harry Met Sally Met Graphic Design
- 12000 free outline icons
- ... and more !
- 1 of 11