We are fortunate to bring back Robert Bruce Duncan in his commentary about black and white photography -- originally printed by permission in 2004. We're bringing it back today because the new generation of photographers need Robert's pep talk about the subtle beauty of black and white photography. May 16, 2014
If you are a designer or visual communicator in business, then you need to keep up. In this issue we hope to help with a brilliant infographic which illustrates Shutterstock’s 2014 Global Design Trends, our friend David Blatner's quick and easy way to test font choices quickly in InDesign CC, and some musings on the proper punctuation marks from Kathryn Schulz
It's all fun, and you're invited to join us! April 10, 2014
We're enjoying jumping into April, and with it comes some fresh creative inspiration. This edition has 6 Attention-Grabbing Direct Mail Designs for those who thought that direct mail was dead A wonderful interview with Jon Sueda -- not to be missed, and revisiting the "selfie" and Ellen's now famous Oscar selfie!
It's all fun, and you're invited to join us! April 7, 2014
March is almost over, our Women's History Month is coming to an end and we're focusing on spring colors .... these and other starting points for all designers and creative visual communicators ... here we go:
Gift Card Impressions Wins Two Graphic Design USA Awards for Innovative Packaging
Colborne graphic artist wins ParaSport Games medal design contest
Getting a job in digital marketing (A graduate’s perspective)
Graphic designer Peter Saville still rocks the fashion world
Icons that talk : telling a graphic story with icons
Stumbled into the profession of graphic design
Call for Entries: Graphis Design Annual 2015
TypeTalk: Know Your Figures
... and more ! March 31, 2014
It's March, and our Women's History Month looks at creativity in many different ways ... Designing Woman Kerry Butters sets the creative pace with her insightful piece on common logo mistakes - then Amanda Clark points the desingers' finger at fonts .... these and other starting points for all designers and creative visual communicators ... here we go:
* Award-Winning Mobile Video Coaching App Dartfish Express for iOS7
* 5 motion graphic design trends for every video editor
* Typography cheat sheet: The big mistakes to avoid
* The simple science to good storytelling
* Typing type: The font war for bloggers
* 6 Common Mistakes in Logo Design
* Global design trends
... and more ! March 4, 2014
iMovie, once a unique, easy interface for editing and producing movies has turned into a nightmare. Apple's over-stimulated developers have munged the concepts and interface until the program is all but unusable without a doctorate degree in media production. But Noteboom Productions has come to everyone's aid with Tutor for iMovie, their latest video tutorial. February 28, 2014
The creative inspiration quest continues and edition features two videos along with some extraordinary illustration and a conversation with a designer about the new iPhone interface ... here we go:
* PaperSpecs Reveals the Trials and Triumphs of Designing Print Projects
* Brobesity? 3-D Avatars Of The Average Joe Are A Hefty Dose Of Reality
* Several iOS 7 Design Choices Criticized By Experienced Designer
* Christoph Niemann: Illustrator, Graphic Designer
* Skinhead culture in graphic design
* Back to the drawing board
... and more ! October 28, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest moving toward November with some special insights into the creative spirit, and a visit to one of the most important studios of our time! Send in your creative ideas for the holidays this month! Here we go . . .
* Infographic: Just How Dangerous Is The Dye In Your Food?
* Smart people do smart things ... Jason Santa Maria
* Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design
* Can graphic design make feminism cool?
* Russia's Top 20 Designers Today
* Learn: Anatomy of a Typeface
... and more ! October 24, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest carry over into October, we're finding some great stuff to share. Send in your creative ideas for the holidays this month! Here we go . . .
* Cutting, carving, etching, gilding designs into glass
* Lights and Glamor mark this design studio's success
* A Design Studio Called Number 17, A Very Short List
* Virus Fonts express the spirit of the age . . .
* Barnbrook -- Studio 12 . . . spells "WOW"
* OMG it's Oliver Munday
... and more ! October 16, 2013
Too often marketers are flying by the seat of their pants when it comes to developing a content strategy. Unfortunately, the term content marketing has become an industry buzzword that everyone is talking about but few marketers truly understand. October 7, 2013