THREE DECADES AGO, with the advent of electronic publishing and nouveau design practitioners, many either didn't know basic typography, or they didn't care to remember. The roots of type and typography is evidenced in every letter we see. We're taught at a very young age to recognize letter forms. It's a basic common denominator in our society. August 13, 2015
This is a wonderful visit with Doyald Young, Logotype Designer -- this is required viewing for all designers and typographers, or anyone involved in the field of visual communications.
Please allow time to watch this all the way to the end. You'll be very glad you did. Unfortunately, Doyald Young passed away in 2011, one of the great typographers of our time.
We've also included a special link, and arranged a FREE TRIAL of the entire course for DTG readers!
Doyald Young, Logotype Designer August 11, 2015
This is the one you've been waiting for! Typographics is an ambitious two-day typography conference, surrounded by two weeks of workshops and events, planned for this June at The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York City. Organized by Cooper's Type@Cooper and the Herb Lubalin Study Center of Design and Typography, the conference provides a platform for designers to share broad perspectives on where typography is today and where it is going. June 5, 2015
Need a fresh design perspective? Tired of using the same old looking fonts? Need to change up the text style in a presentation, print project or a graphic design project? Download brand new premium font designs that just came off the development floor at 128bit Technologies, MacAppware. Premium Fonts, version 5.0 now includes 147 original font families, with a total of 1,841 fonts in all.< December 29, 2014
Here we go . . . the LAST Creative Tidbits column for 2014. Say goodbye to the year, and get yourself ready to ramp up in January. A lot happened in the year, and you can go back and find more than twenty Creative columns in 2014. Have fun earning from these:
- The New Pantone 'Color of the Year' for 2015 is Pantone 18-1438 Marsala
- A New Book Examines the History of Graphic Design in California
- Royal College of Art releases GraphicsRCA: Fifty Years book
- interview with illustrator and designer jean jullien
- Artists launch street sculpture exhibit program
- Brewing up a new identity for Coffee Officina
- Illustrator is inspired by the Westcountry
- Buy A Logo - 10 Tips For Better Design
- Ten Questions for: Fernando Gutiérrez
- ... and more!
We never seem to slow down, but in many situations the creative spirit needs 'rest' -- so sit down and take it easy while you go through this week's creative tidbits. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Looking at the artwork of the Criterion Collection
- The Colorful History of California Graphic Design
- Design App is Apple's App of the Year runner-up
- A Photo Exhibit That Examines Climate Change
- Inside the Cinelli and Columbus factories
- How big data is revolutionizing design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Graphic Design
- How To Design A Killer Gig Poster
- Why Aren’t You Creative?
- ... and more! December 10, 2014
Getting ready to wrap up the year opens the slow season. However creativity for designers, illustrators, painters, photographers, typographers and anyone involved in the creative processes, or visual communications will not slow down. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Polk State Was a Beginning, and Without It, I Wouldn’t Be Where I am Today
- 5 Easy Ways To Create A Brilliant Background For Your LinkedIn Profile
- This Graphic Translates Web Design Feedback into Plain English
- LEGO BRICK: pinhole camera snaps tiny thumbnail-sized 'photos'
- I am the Jackie Robinson of Hip Hop Graphic Design!
- How optical illusions trick your brain
- Art Department Faculty Work Featured at the Kellogg Gallery
- Cincinnati Design Awards honors wide range of local projects
- ... and more!
Born on my birthday, August 18, in Seoul, South Korea, Hyung-Seung Lee could quite possibly be one of the "new masters" of this typography generation. In 2013, Hyun-Seung Lee, and two friends Dae-Hoon Hahm and Min-Joo Ham, together, designed the Core Bandi font -- and what? They're already color separated for flat-ink screen printing! WOW November 29, 2014
- Paul McCartney and Nick Cave contribute hand drawn artwork for Alzheimer's Society
- $50 Discount to HOW Design Live Conference in Chicago, May 2015
- The 5 most common design mistakes in digital signage
- What deserves Cincy’s ‘Razzies’ of design?
- Translating print skills to Web design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Logo Design
- ... and more!
2015 is upon us and it's a good idea to start thinking about our creative strategies for the coming year. I am on all kinds of feeds that bring in all kinds of creative info and inspiration. It's what my Creative Updates is all about:
Art exhibit, 'Hometown Heroes,' is free and open to the public at Silver Lake College
New Metropolitan West Space Debuts With Versace Event And WorldStage Installation
Disney Fan Turns Himself into Big Hero 6's Hiro Hamada with 3D Printed Costume
Alice Babidge reinterprets a midcentury classic for Cult's ‘Chairity' Project
Student Wins Best in Show, Is Finalist in National Graphic Design Competition
The Human Printer: Making digital-quality images with nothing but marker pens
Enterprising eighth-grader launches his own publishing press
How Detroit artist Ed Fella made his mark in graphic design
Google's Quest to Write the Rulebook for Interactive Design
Designing the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition
Paper Cut-Out Typographies Inspired by Polish Architecture
Why I Will Never Hire An Art School Graduate
Textured Art: Local artist Dinett Hok ... and more! November 19, 2014