No, don't think books have gone out of style! And, while there are hundreds of thousands of examples and samples of great typography and hand lettering on the web, you really cannot do without these selected books for this year's 21 Anniversary Fall Fonts Fest! Dig in folks, you don't have much time left! August 24, 2015
There are "freebie" fonts lists, and 'freeby' fonts replicator sites coming out the ying-yang. Very few will talk about commercial fonts -- but folks, I'm here to tell'ya the commercial fonts are almost always far, far ahead in terms of quality. Some of the free fonts sites have good looking stuff, but your download them and end up with a mess on your hands. Well, not true of these -- we can stake our reputation on these fonts -- and can guarantee you'll like the way you look when you use them!
- Twisting and weaving separate strands makes Twine
- Learn the art of steel quill, and draw Escritura
- You're gonna love working with Letter Press!
- Take your publication into the Garden . . .
- Galeb Texture
August 21, 2015
Trying to find all the good stuff on type, lettering, calligraphy, typography and branding online is a monumental task. Sites like Tumblr and Pinterest now rule the bandwidth with literally millions of great samples of type and typography. So I've just picked out a very few of the ones I think merits the attention of anyone interested in visual communications. August 19, 2015
THREE DECADES AGO, with the advent of electronic publishing and nouveau design practitioners, many either didn't know basic typography, or they didn't care to remember. The roots of type and typography is evidenced in every letter we see. We're taught at a very young age to recognize letter forms. It's a basic common denominator in our society. August 13, 2015
This is a wonderful visit with Doyald Young, Logotype Designer -- this is required viewing for all designers and typographers, or anyone involved in the field of visual communications.
Please allow time to watch this all the way to the end. You'll be very glad you did. Unfortunately, Doyald Young passed away in 2011, one of the great typographers of our time.
We've also included a special link, and arranged a FREE TRIAL of the entire course for DTG readers!
Doyald Young, Logotype Designer August 11, 2015
This is the one you've been waiting for! Typographics is an ambitious two-day typography conference, surrounded by two weeks of workshops and events, planned for this June at The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York City. Organized by Cooper's Type@Cooper and the Herb Lubalin Study Center of Design and Typography, the conference provides a platform for designers to share broad perspectives on where typography is today and where it is going. June 5, 2015
Need a fresh design perspective? Tired of using the same old looking fonts? Need to change up the text style in a presentation, print project or a graphic design project? Download brand new premium font designs that just came off the development floor at 128bit Technologies, MacAppware. Premium Fonts, version 5.0 now includes 147 original font families, with a total of 1,841 fonts in all.< December 29, 2014
Here we go . . . the LAST Creative Tidbits column for 2014. Say goodbye to the year, and get yourself ready to ramp up in January. A lot happened in the year, and you can go back and find more than twenty Creative columns in 2014. Have fun earning from these:
- The New Pantone 'Color of the Year' for 2015 is Pantone 18-1438 Marsala
- A New Book Examines the History of Graphic Design in California
- Royal College of Art releases GraphicsRCA: Fifty Years book
- interview with illustrator and designer jean jullien
- Artists launch street sculpture exhibit program
- Brewing up a new identity for Coffee Officina
- Illustrator is inspired by the Westcountry
- Buy A Logo - 10 Tips For Better Design
- Ten Questions for: Fernando Gutiérrez
- ... and more!
We never seem to slow down, but in many situations the creative spirit needs 'rest' -- so sit down and take it easy while you go through this week's creative tidbits. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Looking at the artwork of the Criterion Collection
- The Colorful History of California Graphic Design
- Design App is Apple's App of the Year runner-up
- A Photo Exhibit That Examines Climate Change
- Inside the Cinelli and Columbus factories
- How big data is revolutionizing design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Graphic Design
- How To Design A Killer Gig Poster
- Why Aren’t You Creative?
- ... and more! December 10, 2014
Getting ready to wrap up the year opens the slow season. However creativity for designers, illustrators, painters, photographers, typographers and anyone involved in the creative processes, or visual communications will not slow down. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Polk State Was a Beginning, and Without It, I Wouldn’t Be Where I am Today
- 5 Easy Ways To Create A Brilliant Background For Your LinkedIn Profile
- This Graphic Translates Web Design Feedback into Plain English
- LEGO BRICK: pinhole camera snaps tiny thumbnail-sized 'photos'
- I am the Jackie Robinson of Hip Hop Graphic Design!
- How optical illusions trick your brain
- Art Department Faculty Work Featured at the Kellogg Gallery
- Cincinnati Design Awards honors wide range of local projects
- ... and more!